Is Olympus m45 good in low light?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by oto02, Aug 15, 2012.

1. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Was wondering if O45 1.8 would act fine in low light, especially indoor. I'm okay with the space, thinkin' of portraits only.
    I've been reading reviews about P20mm would be the champion in this respect, would this one act much better than O45 indoor?:confused:

2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I think that focal length of the 20mm is a bit too wide for it to be a good lens for portraits, unless you're going to add a bit of space around the subject. The 25mm and 45mm lenses would be my choices depending on how much space was available.
  3. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    For a classic bust-style or head-only portrait I wouldn't use the 20mm by choice. For this I find the 25mm to be preferable, and the 45mm ideal.
  4. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have used Oly 45 mm 1.8 quite extensivley and its very good low light lens provided u are comfortable with this focal length. If you are planning to use inside room and in parties then 20 mm Panny is a better choice but then Panny 20 mm is not a Portrait lens .
    These are two samples of Oly 45 mm in low light ISO 1000 hand held.

• Like Like x 1
  5. LowTEC

LowTEC Mu-43 Regular

45mm is THE classic focal length for portraits and is definitely better than a 20mm, but since you mentioned "indoor", the 25mm would be more flexible.
  6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
  7. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Taken with 45 mm at 3.5, ISO 1600 and 1/50 sec handheld.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Personally I find the Oly45 to be too long of a focal length for most indoor portraits, especially in public areas. If you have plenty of space and time it works really well and I do love the results from the lens more everyday.

I don't have the 20, but the 25mm is always my choice for low light portraits. Most of my pictures in this respect are taken in restaurants, bars, parties, etc. The 45 is just a bit too compressed in these settings.
  9. oto02

oto02 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2012
    Melbourne, VICTORIA, AU
    Thanks guys, there is a lot of useful info from you, appreciate that.
    The thing is, soon I'll have a baby and I want to have my gear ready. I got my E-3 with 14-54 and 50-200 (plus Macro 35) and EC14, but I was going to use this lil gem (m4/3)instead.
    In the end of the day I may use some helping lights if it requires.

Click, click!
  10. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I've used the Olympus 45mm for night street shooting and not had any problem with it. Great low-light lens if you have to get a little closer; the 20mm will start to distort if you get close enough.
  11. jonh918

jonh918 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2012
    San francisco,ca
    oly 45mm f1.8

check out my image gallery i have some shots of indoor low light food... the oly 45 is a champ :smile:
  12. griswoldo

griswoldo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 27, 2011
    I'm not fortunate enough to have either the Oly 45 or the PL 25, although both are on my wishlist. I can speak a little bit about focal length when it comes to taking baby pictures though, since that's pretty much all I've done since my son was born last year.

IMHO, until the crawling/walking starts, longer focal lengths work ok. You have more time to compose your shot and position yourself and your child accordingly. After they start moving, shorter is definitely better when it comes to indoor photography.

I've had to make do with my kit zoom and a couple adapted 50mm lenses, and none are really great at capturing kids on the move. If I use a 50, I need to stay so far back that stuff in the room gets in the way of my shot as he scurries about. And the aperture on the kit zoom is just too dang slow. So hopefully my wife will get tired of my complaints and finally green light my PL 25 purchase. :biggrin: