1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is Olympus gonna do OMD recall??

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi guys ..
    This sounds weird but I went to a local camera store in Melbourne called Harvey Norman . I was all set to pick up OMD with 12-50 mm and guess what ? They don't stock in anymore !!Okay ..fine but when I asked the reason , one of the senior guy told me Olympus is gonna do a recall on OMD cameras because of few issues and they are not stocking them anymore .I did question him this issue thing and he said thats what he has been told by management as I wasn't the first one to question this. Now this sounds scary and I don't know whether we should believe him or not . I am wondering if anyone else heard something similar or may be Amin or anyone else can just double check on this issue. I know this guy since long and he does like MFT cameras .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    the HUMMMMMMMM is turning people into ZOMBIES!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apparently someone (in the US) has bought a new one with firmware v1.2 in it. Perhaps that might be the reason (with Hardly Normal :wink:) while Oly sort out the issues with that. In the mean time, I will just keep using mine (with v1.1 in it) & if & when something happens, I can at least drive down to Oly Service in North Ryde in about an hour.

4. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Most hilarious news I've ever heard, and let me add my bogus news as well:

Because the OM-D recall as a token of apologies Olympus will give all current OM-D owner the new E-7 + 14-54 II free of charge, and a chance to buy OM-D EM-6 with 50% discount when available sometimes in 2013. :rofl:

Joke aside if this news is true, sounds like Olympus digging their own grave, imagine the cost they have to spend.

5. jlim76

jlim76 New to Mu-43

Jun 14, 2012
    Perhaps recall from retailers only?

6. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Might be recalling from retailers to install 1.2 software due to apparent user update problems. This would buy them some time to get 1.3 out. If users have a problem they will send them back for a fix. A recall without being a recall.

7. Ross the fiddler

That might be the most likely scenario & possibly only with models that have the latest v1.2 firmware or for the remaining stock with version 1.1 & Oly would rather do the update themselves than leave it to incompetent retail stores (or purchasers).

8. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Jokes aside...if the OM-D truly had a consistent pattern of serious issues one would think we would have heard about them by now.

9. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was in CameraPro in Brisbane today and they had the OM-D in stock and on display. I was talking to one of the sales staff who said that they were still selling very well and that they were still having to take orders if you wanted it with the 12-50 kit zoom because Olympus couldn't supply enough. No mention of a recall.

Mine is updated to V. 1.2, done the day it was released, and is working fine with no problems. There don't seem to be a flood of negative reports here, either from people with firmware version 1.1 or 1.2 and I think there are enough of us here with OM-Ds for there to have been a number of reports if we were striking problems.

Note for those outside Australia: Bhupinder called Harvey Norman a "camera store". It's a chain of Australian furniture, electrical, and electronics stores, not a camera store or at least not a camera store in my view though they do sell cameras. I think some at least of their outlets are franchises. I bought my E-P3 from one of their stores. While they sell the cameras with kit lenses, they don't sell lenses or other accessories, or at least not at any Harvey Norman store I've been in. You certainly can't buy a lot of the things you expect to see in a camera store from them. I haven't found their staff to be overly well informed about anything I've bought from them in the way of household white goods, cameras, or home theatre gear though they often offer reasonably good prices. Many Aussies *affectionately* refer to them as "Hardly Normal", not "Harvey Norman".

I would expect that if Olympus were going to do a recall, they would hardly leak the news to someone in Harvey Norman before advising other resellers and obviously the store I bought mine from has heard nothing given my experience this morning. If there is going to be a recall, I would expect all resellers to receive advice at the same time and I would not expect the news to break first in Australia, especially in a Harvey Norman store.

• Like Like x 3
  10. VisualFeast

VisualFeast Mu-43 Regular

Apr 14, 2012
    GSP
    My issues have all been with video. First issue was a large blackish spidery-looking area that appeared at the top-middle of the frame while recording. Olympus replaced the IBIS.

Now I have a new problem-- experiencing random single frames that are either brighter or darker by a few stops. No rhyme to it, sometime its minutes between bad frames, other times just seconds. I'm using it on another shoot next week, then it's going back to Olympus.

11. Ross the fiddler

Maybe that spider is still running around inside the camera. :biggrin: :wink:

12. Oh dear, my E-M5 is still running v1.0!

13. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    Mine is running 1.2 and have never got a problem whatsoever i even got a "faster" af on my p20 what else could i ask? I could say that my omd is flawless

14. Bhupinder2002

Thank you David for reminding me this all. I think I know very well what Harvey Norman sells. This particular store in Melbourne near Chadstone stocks mores cameras than Teds. I didn't say I believe him. I shared the info which I got from a random source but it's a serious source . I am going ahead and buying it anyway
    Cheers

15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    No need to take offense, Bhupinder! David is merely telling us folks who live outside of Australia what Harvey Norman is, which I, for one, have never heard of before this!

16. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thank you, precisely what I meant.

And Bhupinder, I didn't mean any offence. I don't know what your Harvey Norman store is like in Melbourne and given that Melbourne is considerably larger than Brisbane it may be more serious about cameras and camera gear than they are in Brisbane. Up here they'll sell you a camera with a lens attached but you better go somewhere else if you want to find anything else to do with the camera.

I still think that if there is going to be a recall, it's unlikely that we will hear about it first in Australia, and from a leak, rather than from someone in Japan or one of Olympus's larger markets.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    You better throw that in the bin, it can't possibly be working properly.... :rolleyes:

18. Bhupinder2002

I am sorry David If it sounded like as I am offended..I didn't believe them and thats why I asked my forum members if they have heard anything like that .But yes this particular store stocks more cameras than any Teds store around the area. There are few Harvery Normans around which stock only few cameras.I am buying from another Harvey Norman which is selling this OMD for 1199 with 12-50 mm lens .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder
    Cheers

19. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

i have been in my local Harvey Norman store on several occasions browsing the photography and computing departments and often hear the conversations the salesperson is having with other customers. I cringe at hearing what they have to say about the products they are recommending to customers.

20. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

Feast, I was shooting with a friend of mine that had exactly the same problem you have experience, although it wasn't the same camera. After a couple of days of shooting we found that he had inadvertently triggered the bracket exposure mode. It drove hime crazy until he realized. May not be your situation but it is a thought worth checking.