Is Olympus going in the wrong direction?

For the true travel warrior with $$ you could have:
  • EM1.3
  • Grip
  • 8-25/4
  • 12-100/4
  • 150-400/4.5
  • Spare battery
That's 3 lenses that can shoot anything outdoors in decent light, in most adverse weather. It's costly, but no other system can match that conceptually or for even close to that $$ outlay.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
I saw that announcement as well along with a claim that this would be the first zoom lens ever offered with an f2 aperture. Obviously, that's not correct because the Olympus Zuiko 14-35 f/2 and 35-100 f/2 lenses exist. There might have been some caveat about "for full frame"or such that I missed.

- K
And leaving aside the Panasonic f/1.7 zooms.

Minor details ...

Just leave out those inconvenient bits you don't want to know about.

Like the f/2.8 90-250.

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
There might have been some caveat about "for full frame"or such that I missed.

- K
There was.
And leaving aside the Panasonic f/1.7 zooms.

Minor details ...

Just leave out those inconvenient bits you don't want to know about.

Like the f/2.8 90-250.
Yes, leave out the inconvenient bits. From the article:

"It is the first zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras to have a maximum wide-open aperture of F2."

BTW, 2.8 isn't 2.0. It's a whole stop different. Just sayin'...

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
There was.

Yes, leave out the inconvenient bits. From the article:

"It is the first zoom lens for Sony E-mount full-frame mirrorless cameras to have a maximum wide-open aperture of F2."

BTW, 2.8 isn't 2.0. It's a whole stop different. Just sayin'...
Yeah, I know that, Tim.

My point was that advertising copy writers are a short sighted bunch. Usually aided and abetted by their customers.

But there aren't too many f/2.8 180-500 135 format zoom lenses around either.

JonSnih

Mu-43 Veteran
I just noted today a blurb I read about Tamron just announced a lens for Sony FF to be developed of 35-150mm f2-2.8. Sounded interesting but I don't shoot FF let alone Sony so mine was just a "hmmm, that's neat" reaction to the aperture on it. No idea of its proposed physical size.
Tamron already has a 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 zoom, which is damn good: on top of that, it is light (575 gr.), compact, versatile and cheap. The 35-150mm zoom is not wide enough. But I really appreciate what Tamron does. Their designs are innovative.

I am awaiting the release of the A7 Mk IV. If I go that way, this lens will be HUGE! (literally! :laugh1: )
Are you sure you're not going in the wrong direction?

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
It's important to read beyond the headlines.
Tamron already has a 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 zoom, which is damn good: on top of that, it is light (575 gr.), compact, versatile and cheap. The 35-150mm zoom is not wide enough. But I really appreciate what Tamron does. Their designs are innovative.

Are you sure you're not going in the wrong direction?
Absolutely. Panasonic's recent G9 firmware update confirmed that for me.

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
For the true travel warrior with $$ you could have:
  • EM1.3
  • Grip
  • 8-25/4
  • 12-100/4
  • 150-400/4.5
  • Spare battery
That's 3 lenses that can shoot anything outdoors in decent light, in most adverse weather. It's costly, but no other system can match that conceptually or for even close to that $$ outlay.
I'd swap that E-M1III for a E-M5III and leave out the grip. And perhaps get another spare battery and call it a day. :D

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom