Is Olympus getting its Mojo back?

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
ooh touched a nerve. bias here we are again, or no one reads the whole post, but whatev's. Anyway, Canon and Nikon offer 3 models for a given sensor size. The branded rebel model, obviously the higher number is the newer model. Straight forward. What on earth is the basic m4/3 model? Is the buyer supposed to look at the alphabet soup or the numbers, or the price? It's a confusing mess not one of those 3 criterions will tell a consumer which model/make they are buying. 30+ camera's in 5 years around 1 sensor size, and primarily one market segment. That is insane.

It's easy to see the mid tier models with Canon/Nikon, x0/x000, models, once again, higher number newer model easy peasy relatively basic (Nikon is a little wonky here, I'll give them that but still relatively simple). m4/3, what's the mid tier model in that alphabet soup.

Pro models, consumer is likely aware of what they are buying no matter the system you could call them Charlie if you wanted to. Stupidly, they are generally the best named systems in all of the systems we're talking about. GH1,2,3, EM1, or was it EM10, EM5 came before EM1, 2 years ago, EM10 is the newest right? wait... what?

Any hurdle of getting that camera into a new users hand is bad for all of us. The more hurdles the average consumers have to picking up the camera's, equal less people with camera's the more likely the system goes away or we get less of a product than what we could have. Just because you love the set up, doesn't mean you have to defend it to the death when they have clear problems that are just self inflicted.

You can even read in this thread a few sentiments of, I would have bought that when but if I waited a few months I could get it cheaper or the new one comes out... that's bad.

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Jim, I really do like Canon, but you are just incorrect about their numbering being simple for a person not knowledgeable about their products to understand. I give you the 1D, 5D, 6D and 7D. The 1D X is full frame, but for many years the 1D had both a FF and a 1.3 crop camera. The Rebel line currently has four different models available at the same time. Then there is the SL1. Is it a Rebel? Not sure. And we have the 5D Mk III and the 6D. They are both FF and the 6D is cheaper, so I guess it is the lesser camera, but I'm not sure exactly what the differences are. And then there is the 7D. It must be FF too, right, since it is in the xD format. But no, it has the same sensor as some of the Rebels and some of the xxDs that came before. And then there is the 70D and the 60D. The 70D has a newer sensor and new features missing on the 7D, but the 7D has more processing power (I think) and is more robustly built. So, if you want the newest tech in a crop sensor, you have to forego the best build.

And I like Canon.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
ooh touched a nerve. bias here we are again, ...

Jim, the nerve you touch is the one that twitches on misinformation, not brand bias. You can spin and exaggerate the numbers to make your point look stronger or weaker, but given that we are not having a scored debate here or anything I don't see why you would bother, unless you just enjoy stirring the pot.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have to say the EP5 is a fine camera. I have a Nikon system (2 bodies and about 6K worth of lenses) and I was trying hard not to have a second system. Several years ago I bought an EPL-1 to replace my PS camera. For two years I never even considered another mft camera or lens. When the EP5 was announced I had just purchased a D7100 body, another $1,000 body just wasn't in the game plan. However, when the presidents day sale dropped the price on the EP5 to $519, it was a no brainer for me (realizing that I would also have to get at least three new lenses). The EP5 is to me just a beautiful thing (I compare it to a musical instrument - there is something "more" than just the physical makeup), and since I can't afford a DF which to me is very similar I jumped on the EP5. It's like Frank Lloyd Wright designed it. It (with a pancake) fits in a light windbreaker or cargo pants pocket, my VF-2 fits anywhere I want it (the LCD is so usable, the VF spends a lot of time off camera). For the video I do when traveling it is a great video camera, no steadycam or Zacuto finder needed.

The price point was too high for me only because the D7100 is a better, bigger camera and when I had to choose, the D7100 fit my needs better. But in the $700-500 range there is no camera I'd rather have than the EP5. I think the EP5 is a classic example of the whole being better than the sum of the parts. One thing it and the EPL1 have done is make me a two system owner. Yes, I think Olympus is back. The last thing they have to do is give us either 60P and 24P 1080 video to have one the best cameras in any system. I'm a big, big fan of the EP5.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Jim, the nerve you touch is the one that twitches on misinformation, not brand bias. You can spin and exaggerate the numbers to make your point look stronger or weaker, but given that we are not having a scored debate here or anything I don't see why you would bother, unless you just enjoy stirring the pot.

What was exaggerated? What numbers? What misinformation. Love to hear it.
Pen EP1, EP2, EP3, EP5
Pen EPL1, EPL1s, EPL2, EPL3, EPL5, EPL6
Pen EPM1, EPM2
OMD-EM5, EM1,EM10.

That is a ton of camera's in 5 years, that are not clearly defined from each other except for Pen Vs OMD. If the product is not clearly defined, it is a hurdle for the consumer to buy it. Made even more complicated, when Panasonic is added in.

Unless you are going to tell me that consumer confusion well before the point of sale is a good thing. Or even that having models coming out within the same month like ep5 and epl6, or EP3,EPL3,EPM1. The crazy thing is, mind you I prefer the Panasonic bodies, I thought the EP series WAS the budget series... and I generally pay attention, and looking this up, I was wrong . At least they seem to be going the wright direction, by nicking the EPM's, hopefully anyway.

Mind you I could understand the early iterations to ramp up to a quality product and failure's will happen, but we're 5 years in and they haven't stopped. And if you're still reading google ep6, it's kind of funny, it's an eye cup. There's hope!

jziegler

Mu-43 Veteran
What was exaggerated? What numbers? What misinformation. Love to hear it.
Pen EP1, EP2, EP3, EP5
Pen EPL1, EPL1s, EPL2, EPL3, EPL5, EPL6
Pen EPM1, EPM2
OMD-EM5, EM1,EM10.

That is a ton of camera's in 5 years, that are not clearly defined from each other except for Pen Vs OMD. If the product is not clearly defined, it is a hurdle for the consumer to buy it. Made even more complicated, when Panasonic is added in.

Unless you are going to tell me that consumer confusion well before the point of sale is a good thing. Or even that having models coming out within the same month like ep5 and epl6, or EP3,EPL3,EPM1. The crazy thing is, mind you I prefer the Panasonic bodies, I thought the EP series WAS the budget series... and I generally pay attention, and looking this up, I was wrong . At least they seem to be going the wright direction, by nicking the EPM's, hopefully anyway.

Mind you I could understand the early iterations to ramp up to a quality product and failure's will happen, but we're 5 years in and they haven't stopped. And if you're still reading google ep6, it's kind of funny, it's an eye cup. There's hope!

It is no more confusing than the other companies. Here's Nikon's current lineup page:
http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Digital-SLR-Cameras/index.page

18 models are listed as current.

Is a D5000 better than a D3300, since it's a higher number? Or maybe a D5300 is better than a D7100 since the second number is higher, so a newer generation? What about a D3x vs D4 vs D800? The numbers don't tell you much by themselves. And where does the Df fit in?
Canon's:

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras

only 13 models, 12 SLR and 1 mirrorless.

Olympus has only 6 current models in the us. The OMD is pretty simple, lower numbers are higher end. The Pen's have a different letter, similar to Canon.

Quick, what's better, a rebel with an i or without? And going back, what's the difference between a Rebel (no letters), XT, XTi, XS, XSi..... And what are their models in countries other than the US.

I think that within the next year, we may be down to 4 or 5 current models. With the current firesale pricing, the E-PM2 is on the way out, and may not be replaced. The E-M5 probably won't be around long either, we'll see what happens here. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Panasonic eliminate a model (probably the plain G model).

All of the camera compaines use confusing naming/numbering. m43 is no better and no worse than the others. And please take a look at the DSLRbodies.com link I posted before, that's Thom Hogan's Nikon site. He's a big Nikon user, and that article is heavily criticizing Nikon's strategy from a Nikon user's perspective. He makes part of his living by selling books about Nikon cameras and providing Nikon advice, and he thinks there's something wrong with all of the modles they're putting out.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Ok - in an attempt to get back on topic rather than arguing about the rate of new models :wink: ...

I think Oly are getting their act in order. Not only are there good models coming through, but they are playing the marketing well. At the recent TPS show in the UK, they had a large and well- planned exhibit including lots of sessions with Damian McGillicuddy (whose Oly linkage and blog is currently undergoing big expansion). There is also lots of Oly advertising going on, both printed and on-line, and I'm beginning to see better Oly coverage via the major retailers here. They are also managing the online review channels well with pre-prod models in the hands of high profile reviewers ahead of release date. All in all, they seem to be handling it well.

The upgrade to the e-p5 and e-m5 firmware shows a level of commitment too.

Keep it up - I see the cracks appearing in the DSLR monopoly - let's hope they don't run out of money before it succeeds!

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"Is Olympus getting its Mojo back?" is exactly what I would love to read on forums if I were to work for Olympus Marketing departement...

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
My post wasn't really about price or the number of models, but more along the lines of the recognition they are getting with the quality of what they are producing. They are no longer in the apparent doldrums that they were in just a few years ago. Yes, I agree that they have too many models and the pricing can be high compared to DSLRs, but to me that's not the point. Personally, I don't compare Olympus cameras to others; I just don't see the point. Nor do I jump from one brand to another hoping to find nirvana; I made a reasoned choice on gear and don't have buyer's remorse. Olympus is now providing what I and many others consider are outstanding cameras (and lenses) and I think that's because they have their confidence (and mojo) back. Nit picking faults is, in my view, just looking at the glass as being half empty.

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
"Is Olympus getting its Mojo back?" is exactly what I would love to read on forums if I were to work for Olympus Marketing departement...

Well, I'm not going to believe we are inundated by marketing folk actively filling our heads on our forum if that's what you are hinting at, even if it does seem that way at times. I'd hope they are honest enough with us, the people that buy their product; besides what utility is there in preaching to the choir that's likely to repeat their ad copy anyway. Then again they have had other dumber self inflicted problems, so not entirely impossible. It would be more likely other manufacturers would be attempting that.

Latest threads

Top Bottom