Is Now the Time to Buy Adapted Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Narnian, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Since I bought my GF1 I have picked up a few myself. And I was thinking (dangerous, I have been told) that now may be the time to buy because and more mirrorless vendors bring products to market there will be an increasing demand for older lenses which will force prices up.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    It's always a good time to buy.
    Most of the lenses your looking at sell for more now then when they were new.
    Good luck in your quest.
    Kevinparis has many images from Nikon glass.. That's worth looking into.
  3. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    I've seen prices inflating on eBay since I joined the forum only a few months ago ... and I'm guessing it's a combination of economic necessity and m43
  4. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I have a Pentax 200mm that is like new with the original everything, including warranty card (from Honeywell Pentax). It cost $189.50 in the 70s, but I picked it up for $77.

5. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    It's definitely getting around that there are people interested in old lenses for their µ43 and NEX cameras. I have seen prices for Konica lenses rise in the last four months. Some of the eBay listings I've seen are starting to mention how good a particular lens would be for µ43.

The prices will rise as more people start to use these cameras. Not sure why you were told that *right now* is the best time.
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Two years ago was an even better time to buy, but that's hindsight.

You thinking of spending serious money?
  7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    If your an Aussie its a good time the Aussie dollar is High it hit 97c to the US $ may even go parity.

I missed out on a few Minolta Legacy lenses on Ebay, to low a bid or to slow or expecting too much of a bargain.

The f1.2 58mm goes for ~$500 there is also a f1.8 40mm (made for leica actually) similar price
  8. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Nope - if I had serious money I would be looking to buy lenses like the Panny 45/2.8 macro and maybe one of the wide zooms. I have some cash but not a lot. If I had real serious money I would probably go Leica.

I recently picked up a Pentax-M 50/1.4 and Pentax-M 100/2.8 as well as a Nikon Micro-Nikkor 105/4 (The Pentax 100/4 macros were going for twice the price).

I would like a nice stable of primes - good glass cheap. I like Pentax since I am an old Pentax user for 35 years but I sold most of of my good lenses 25 years ago to get unto computers. I am going to add (hopefully) a 35/2, 200/4 and 300/4 or 5.6 to complete my telephoto needs. Buying all the lenses I sold years ago.

Actually if you read my post carefully it says I was told it was dangerous for me to think :wink: not that anybody told me now was a good time to buy. I figured that out on my own :tongue:
  9. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I think from now on I may alternate between buying a native lens and an adapted lens.
  10. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I've seen the prices go up quite a bit here in Scotland, but charity shops and flea markets are great places for old lenses. I bought a perfect jupiter 8 for 80 pence at a flea market - that's US$1.25!
  11. Narnian

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Yes, but the airline ticket to get over there ...

Though I do want to visit the ancestral homeland one day around Hermitage Castle.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I hope you manage to make it over some time - you'd love it!

• Like Like x 1
  13. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    I've posted this in another thread:

Other VERY GOOD lenses which are dirt cheap are the old Minolta MC & MD Rokkor lenses.

I have many legacy lenses, and these are some of the best.
    Minolta MC Rokkor 58mm F1.4 (very nice)
    Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4
    Minolta MC Rokkor 135mm F2.8
    Minolta MC Rokkor 200mm F3.5
    Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm F1.4
    Minolta MD Rokkor 85mm F2 (this is one of my sharpest lenses)
    Minolta MD Rokkor 135mm F2.8

Olympus OM 50 F1.4
    Olympus OM 50 F1.8 (very cheap, very sharp in the centre, high contrast)

Konica Hexanon 50mm F1.7 (very sharp)
    Konica Hexanon 57mm F1.4

Canon FD 50mm F1.4 SSC (one of my best)
    Canon FL 58mm F1.2 (not the sharpest around!!)

Pentax Takumar 50mm F1.4 SMC
    Pentax 50mm F1.4 Super Takumar
    Pentax Takumar 55mm F1.8 SMC
    Pentax Takumar 200mm F3.5 SMC

Nikon Ais 50mm F1.4
    Nikon E-series 100mm F2.8

Tamon SP 90mm F2.5 (very sharp)

Tokina AT-X 80-200mm F2.8
    Tokina AT-X 100-300mm F4

And others!!!!

The most expensive was the Tokina AT-X 80-200mm F2.8, but that was still only the equivalent of around $200 USD.
    Most of the rest cost me less than $20 USD (equivalent) each!!!!!

(OK, Japan has to have the cheapest second hand lenses in the world though!!!!!! ;) )
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    :eek: :bravo-009:
  15. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Jupiter 8.... My all time favorite 50....
  16. sblehm

sblehm Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2010
  17. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    I'm looking at a Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 at Ebay right now, the listings says it has light dust?? is this really a bad thing or something I can overlook while I'm learning?

I convince the husband of buying me the lensbaby (which I also have no idea how to use) for Xmas and it says it can use Nikon lenses, reason why I'm looking for one.

Maybe I should wait till I now about photography to buy more stuff :p
  18. MiniMax

MiniMax Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 23, 2010
    The growing numbers of owners of bodies that can be used with old glass will rise over the upcoming years. Canon and Nikon have not even entered the market yet. This will increase the demand for old quality lenses and especially the fast primes and the prestigious brands. The fast 1,2/50mm lenses for instance are as expensive as they were when they came onto the markets then. And the prices will probably rise even more, as these fast lenses were by far outsold in the good old manual days by bread and butter 1,8 or 1,7 lenses.

Old zooms will not be sold that much higher as the modern zooms normally outclass the old manual glass. The few rare exceptions as the Zeiss Vario Sonar 35mm-70mm F/3,4 for Contax/Yashica sell for several hundred Dollars/Euros these days for those that have a Canon 5D already to attach it to.
  19. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Ok here is my take on legacy lenses and prices.

general rule is that you get what you pay for... the higher the lens price the better the lens in absolute terms.

I started my journey on legacy lenses more than 2 years ago - before micro 4/3... because the same legacy lens capability exists for both full 4/3 and for other cameras - in particular the full frame cameras from Canon. Oddly Nikon is the worst platform for using legacy lenses - unless you buy one of their semi pro or better cameras you cant even use their own legacy lenses with metering.

My first lens was a OM 50/1.8 - cost 30 euros I shot a couple of shots... liked the results ... but never really explored into buying the native lenses instead... plus there was other things going on in my life nd photography was not as all consuming as it is now.

late 2008 I started to collect legacy glass and through 2009 I started trawling ebay and camera shops and started adding lenses in the sub 100 euro price range. things like old Nikkor 50/1.4, 28/2.8, an om 50/1.4, a couple of takumars, and probably the best bargain at the time a contax 50/1.7. I was happy with the results... but the arrival of the e-p1 kinda changed my perspective...

I was lucky enough to have access to some very fine and expensive leica lenses, quite possibly the best lenses available at any cost- and i suddenly realised that there was a correlation to price of the lens and the quality it delivered. As a result, despite my scottish heritage and the love of a bargain I raised my price limit to 200 - 250 euros and found the lenses I bought like nikkor 105/2.5 and 50/1.2 and the OM 24/2 delivered more distinctive and pleasing images

Today I find myself recognising that a 500-1000 dollar lens can offer a quantum leap in quality. I still haven't quite made the leap to the madness of the Leica world.

All that said, there is an enormous amount of pleasure to be had from putting an old lens of any kind on you camera - they do look different, they are probably faster that the kitzoom.

Personal advice on buying legacy for micro 4/3 would be dont buy anything wider than a 35mm, never buy a zoom....they were slow and crappy then and still are now - your kit zoom with kick its ass. If you buy a prime longer than 135mm - budget for a tripod or a monopod. Stick with the name brands Nikon, Canon, OM, Pentax, Minolta, Konica, Leica, Contax

Buy what you can afford, see whether you like the experience, borrow or try a better lens and see if you can see the difference.

I am sure there is still a lot of lenses out there at good prices... but like all commodities the price usually reflects the value

at the end of the day its you not the camera that takes the photo
    • Like Like x 4
  20. panystac

panystac Mu-43 Regular

Sep 14, 2010
    Tokyo, Japan
    As a counter point to what you're saying here, generally, that would be correct if the demand for lenses was equal.
    I live in Japan, and I have access to very cheap second hand Japanese lenses.

Up to the time when micro 4/3 was introduced, 4/3 was the most flexible when it came to mounting old prime lenses. Without modification, the only "run of the mill" MF 35mm lenses that could not be mounted(with infinity focus) were Canon FL/FD and Konica AR. So the demand for these lenses was low, and very o=in the case of the Canons. As noted in my previous post, I have a lot of MF lenses (more than I put in that list!!!) Micro 4/3 has changed that, because you can now mount those lenses.

I'd say the best of the 50-58mm lenses in that list of mine is the Canon 50mm F1.4 SSC. I've done tests on many of those lenses to determine the sharpness, contrast and CA.
    This lens is superb, but I only paid 1000yen (about $12 USD) for it. And yet I've paid 5 times as much for a Nikon AIs 50mm F1.4 that is not even half as good.
    So in this sense, what you pay is not necessarily indicative of how it performs, because of the law of supply and demand. The Nikon has the "mystique" that you can mount in on any Nikon DSLR directly, while the Canon can only be mounted on micro 4/3(of the digital cameras)

Another example is the Pentax Super Takumar 50mm F1.4
    On ebay, you can see it selling around $80-$100, and yet the Canon 50mm F1.4 SSC is a much, much better lens, that often struggles to sell for $40.

Or Minolta Rokkor MC and MD lenses. Some of these are superb, but they seem to struggle to sell on ebay.
    • Like Like x 1