Is my PL5 defective?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ddeveryday, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    It's making a grinding noise in my recorded videos. It's pretty loud during the video playback. I put my ear on the camera, I could hear something is moving inside the camera.

Is it defective? The thing is that I purchased Pl5 kit on Craigslist. It was only $400. Now I know why it's so cheap. The guy that sold it to me gave me the receipt that says it was purchased in late December. Would I be able to send it to olympus to fix this?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

2. mymaccrashes

mymaccrashes New to Mu-43

Mar 6, 2011
    Curious, what lens do you have on the camera. Is the noise occuring on specific actions like autofocusing. See if you can isolate the issue. Try disabling autocous and see if the noise continues.
    Some lenses autofocus a bit loudly. My 20mm would make tons of noise on my EPL1 but not on my GF1. My 45 makes a bit of noise on my OMD. But I can hear the lenses making these noises and not the body. If you're camera is behaving fine, focusing well and properly exposing it may not be much of an issue.

3. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    I only have the 14-42 kit lens so far. I'm definitely going to test it some more during the night

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

4. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    No, proabbly not defective. Post a clip. My bet is that you have it on continuous autofocus. Despite supposedly being optimized for video, when the kit lens focuses it makes a lot of noise. It was a huge disappointment to me on my EPL2.

There eare lenses that will work fine. The kit lens is pretty noisy.

See here: https://www.mu-43.com/f42/c-af-noise-video-e-pl2-3-a-19161/

Diable C-AF and then test under similar circumstances. Panning around a room is usually enough to invoke the issue.

woof!

5. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    You are right! I changed C-AF to manual focusing and the grinding noise is gone! I thought their MSC feature on the lens means no motor focusing noise. I have owned the panasonic 14-45mm and 14-42mm kit lens and they don't make that noise. How do you guys overcome this issue with the olympus kit lens?

6. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    With a Panasonic kit lens. :eek:

Sorry... that solution aside, you have to turn off C-AF and shoot hyperfocal. It's the only way. MSC is a bad joke - at least on that lens.

To be honest, between this and the rolling shutter on the EPL3 and EP3, I gave up on video on Oly bodies.

EDIT: Oops, Vivalo is absolutely correct that an external mic is a viable option. I suppose I mentally discounted this simply because I would not record video without a VF-2, at which point an external mic is not viable on the Olys...

woof!

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Being contentious now... why not just get a proper video camera? Seems to me that even mirrorless cameras are less than ideal doing video.

8. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland