1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is my Panasonic G3 faulty? Need some opinions on IQ

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by sooper, Dec 11, 2012.

1. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Just purchased a brand new G3 and I'm not sure if I've got a faulty product or it's something I'm doing wrong.

The images just don't look as sharp as my old GF-1. I'm using a 20mm pancake lens, everything is clean and working. I've attached some photos to get your opinions - faulty or am I making something out of nothing?

My settings are f/1.8 ISO 100-200. I've never had problems taking sharp photos with my GF-1, and unfortunately I don't have it any more to compare.

Also, when it arrived I noticed condensation on the sensor which I left to evaporate, then used it. Could this be causing the problem? Do I need to somehow clean the sensor?

P1000042. P1000043. P1000047.

2. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    They look like indoor/low-ish light shots, and at ISO200 were they a slow shutter speed? If so, camera shake?

3. Dc5e

Dc5e Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2012
    I took a look at the exif and all three shots were 1/60. I find that with the 20mm f/1.7, it's easy to get camera blur at 1/60 if you're not holding the camera steadily. I wish there was a way Panasonic bodies could modify the minimum shutter speed or shoot in manual mode with AutoISO.

4. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Hard to tell but maybe using f1.8 the dof is shallow giving the illusion they aren't as sharp as could be although the leaf shot is soft when viewed full size.

I'd try again, using a higher ISO with say f4.0 just to see how it compares. 1/60 with a 20mm lens should be ok but try a higher shutter speed just to see.

Paul

5. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You also want to check the sensor on the G3 to make sure there's no crap on it. 1st try higher shutter speed pics though (what Paul said)...generally 1/60 of a second shoudn't be a problem with either body (G3/GF1) on the 20mm. However that's by my hand.

6. Photodan1

Photodan1 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2012
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Dan
    Looking at the vase photo, the front corner of the stand seems to be in pretty good focus, but I suspect that the overall problem is camera shake. I have a G3 and focus is rock solid.

7. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Great feedback guys, thanks! In hindsight, I probably should have provided the EXIF data. I'm off now to take more shots as everyone here has suggested. I'll post them along with the EXIF data.

8. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Right, I used my monopod this time. Here they are:

f/4 - 1/60 - ISO 200
    P1000052.

f/2.8 - 1/60 - ISO 200
    P1000053.

f/1.8 - 1/60 - ISO 200
    P1000054.

f/1.8 - 1/200 - ISO 200
    P1000055.

f/1.8 - 1/125 - ISO 400
    P1000056.

f/1.8 - 1/250 - ISO 800
    [​IMG]

The room is lit by 3 halogen bulbs (40W I think).

9. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    I would make a point of taking a variety of photos in differing light situations including bright daylight if possible and using iauto as well as the semi auto modes
    The condensation may have caused an issue if the camera was kept in cold conditions for some time perhaps ? I am concerned that damage may have occurred but not sure about the possibility of this ?. There does seem to be a halo effect around your subjects
    You need to gauge whether there is a problem sooner rather than later in case there is a need to return the camera as faulty
    Dont put up with a substandard product

10. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Thanks for that. Can anyone else comment on this?

11. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Do some comparison shots with the gf1 and G3 of the same subject from the same distance.

Honestly, it doesn't look that bad. You're also shooting wide open. Your 2.8 image looks fine (just underexposed)

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've taken a look at the ISO 200 pics and the leaves that are in focus look really sharp to me, don't see anything wrong here. If you really want to evaluate sharpness, put the camera on a real tripod, not a monopod. I use our bookcase as a subject at 2-3m to have enough depth of field, lots of detail all over the image.

13. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Don't have the GF1 anymore I'm afraid.

Here's a shot with the camera resting on a book, with 2sec timer shutter release:

f/1.7 - 1/15 - ISO 200
    P1000059.

I think this shot looks particularly sharp. Any sign of this 'Halo' effect that Robert mentioned?

Would you say the camera is fine?

Another two:

Both f/1.7 - 1/60 - ISO 160

P1000070.

P1000071.

14. musicmaster

musicmaster Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 19, 2012
    Does it look fine to you?

Again, that picture looks underexposed.

15. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Increased the exposure in this shot:

P1000073.

I think the sharpness actually looks good here. Perhaps it was just the case of shaky hands! But I am concerned about this 'Halo' effect that was mentioned. I don't know what it is and I can't see it. Can anyone comment on this?

16. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    The shots that are properly stabilized look fine to me, other than being under/over exposed. The last couple shots of the statue look very crisp in the facial details and the piano sheet music is nice and clear. I don't see any other issues personally.

The other shots look to me like there's a little bit of motion blur... that may be the "halo" of softness around the subjects that was mentioned.

17. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Well, all shots look very sharp to me and I'm quite critical when it comes to sharpness. Lens and camera look in great shape to me. I could see no signs of halos, some motion blur in earlier pictures is not unlikely.

18. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    The sharpness looks fine now, which (for me) points to the camera shake at low-ish shutter speeds I pointed to in post #2.

Suggestions :-

1. Practice your hand-holding technique, holding your elbows in to your sides, breathing out (not totally exhausting your lungs), holding it, then slowly pressing the shutter button and also holding that until the shot is complete, don't jab at it. 1/60 and sometimes lower should easily be do-able with the 20mm lens.

2. Get a tripod.

3. Don't always try for a low ISO if it forces you to use a low SS. You can mostly fix a bit of noise due to higher ISO in PP, but blur is much harder to get rid of.

4. Brush up on exposure theory, a few of your images were not correctly exposed.

HTH.

Les.

19. sooper

sooper Mu-43 Regular

Jun 17, 2012
    Thank you all for the feedback, very informative - I've got a lot to learn and brush up on. Have a great christmas and new year!

20. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

One more suggestion

You may have unknowingly changed some setting. To be sure, why not do a reset and revert back to all factory settings. On two occasions this worked for me.