1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is my lens faulty or normal?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by snerkler, Apr 30, 2014.

1. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but I'm new to the world of M4/3 cameras. I have just bought the OMD EM10 kit with 14-42mm, the old manual zoom and not the new pancake power zoom. I tried it out in store and preferred the manual handling. However, I've just tried it at home and it makes a strange whirring noise which I didn't expect, or hear in store although in store was obviously a much noisier environment.

When you focus, either AF or manual it makes a constant whirring noise until you release the shutter button, or focus ring. Even after it's focussed and you're holding focus lock it will whirr forever until you release the shutter. Is this normal? Seems odd, and a little annoying :(

Any help appreciated.

2. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Ignore this, just found out it's the IBIS. If I turn off the half shutter IBIS the whirring doesn't occur. I now need to read the manual to find out exactly what this setting is (ie if it means I have no IBIS) and what settings I find best. If this means IBIS is off completely, I obviously don't want this. Is the IBIS noise on every EM10, or are some worse than others?

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Just learn to live with it! I doubt anyone will hear it except you!

IBIS will still work if you've turned off IBIS with half shutter press - all you lose is stabilisation during composition. This is very handy with long lenses, but marginal benefit with shorter focal lengths.

4. snerkler

snerkler Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2014
    Thanks. If IS is still working with the half pressed turned off I'll just leave it off. I've never had a problem with my A77 which doesn't have any visual stabilisation. I guess it's always there if I do find I need it :)