Is My EPL1 still a good camera? or Should I upgrade

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by broncophil, Jan 26, 2012.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    about a year ago, i sold my panny 20 1.7, and my oly 9-18, and bought a bunch of canon dslr gear.. I did keep the EPL1..

i have come to the conclusion, that the size difference of a DSLR is not worth the optical differences and speed advantages.

so i am in the process of selling my gear and returning to MU43.

I was actually pretty satistified with my EPL1, except the time it took from the moment i took to the picture, to the time it was ready for the next pic..

this was especially frustrating when using the cool filters.. (though it lagged, even when no filters were used)

are the latest generation mu43 bodies, Olympus or Panny, much better in that respect?
  2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, they are. Even the next upgrade the E-PL2 is a lot faster, and also offers a much larger LCD with double the resolution, and a real control dial.
    The third generation PENs however (E-P3, E-PL3, and E-PM1) have a dual processor and are much faster in operation as well as AF.
  3. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    is the resolution of the e-pm1 display lower than the e-pl2?
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Nope, the E-PM1 has the same resolution. However, the E-PM1 has a different aspect ratio, 16:9 as opposed to 4:3. What that results to is the view filling up more of the screen on the E-PL2 screen shooting at native aspect ratio, but filling the screen more on the E-PM1 when shooting HD video.

Either screen however, is a huge improvement over the E-PL1 screen, which is both the lowest resolution and smallest size of all PEN cameras.

The 16:9 aspect I actually finds works well, as when shooting stills I have magnification which allows me that critical focus. I don't have that option when shooting video, and manual focus can be a little frustrating sometimes when you're stuck at full zoomed out view. The 16:9 screen helps with that by giving you a fuller view in video mode.

The E-PM1 screen also seems to provide better contrast than the E-PL2 screen. Just to verify that this wasn't a figment of my imagination, I just held them both up to the same scene and the E-PM1 certainly looks better. The E-PM1 also has much more accurate AWB (as long as you turn OFF "Keep Warm Colors"). It has an uncanny way of adjusting WB dramatically like the human eye.
  5. AdamThirtle

AdamThirtle Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
    My first micro four thirds camera was the E-PL1 and it was by no means a bad camera and will give almost identical results to the newer models.

My only problem with it was the buttons and the lack of customisation, the E-PM1 is much more functional when you set it up right, but the E-P models have the best layout, but the price between the E-PM1 and E-P3 in my opinion is not worth it at all for such a slight difference.

The newer models are for sure, a lot faster in processing and also auto focus, after using an E-PL1, then an E-P1 the newer models are really quite pleasing to use.
  6. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    I think the E-PL1 offers the best bang for your buck on the m4/3 market right now.

The firmware updates on the E-PL1 and lenses make the AF almost as fast as the 3d generation PENs. It's very snappy with my Panasonic 14mm. In fact I think the only time AF has failed so far, is when I tried to focus on something way too close to the lens.

The filters are annoyingly laggy on the E-PL1 indeed. It also doesn't allow for an external shutter button, which is stupid to say the least.

If price is not an issue, I'd go with the E-P3, GH2 or GX1. Or maybe wait for the new digital OM.
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Total agree that the E-PL1 offers the best bang for your buck in the market right now. My major complaint is the almost useless continuous AF mode... Other than that, I'm content until a new body presents itself with significant improvements in that arena.
  8. G.Sal

G.Sal Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2011
    The Philippines
    If you can live with EPL1's shortcomings, I'd say get it and spend the extra cash on lenses..

But if you have enough money, hold onto it and wait for the OM-D.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Just checked's still good...
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I have to disagree with that, unless you can find one of the E-PL1 deals on clearance for $200 brand new, but even then it's only the best bang-for-the-buck if you can't also find one of the E-PM1 clearances for $300.

During its day the E-PL1 was obviously the best bang for the buck compared with the E-P1 and E-P2, but when the E-PL2 came out it was iffy as the E-PL2 was quite a bit nicer for only a little more money. Now that the E-PM1 is out, there is no doubt that the E-PL1 has clearly lost its place as "best bang for the buck", as in some places the E-PL1 is retailing for MORE than the E-PM1, and if it's marked down for less then it's only a matter of $50-$100 less. The E-PM1 is always a clear choice in comparison. Prices on new PEN cameras have dropped so dramatically that what used to be a killer deal for the E-PL1 is now overpriced. The one that still holds a higher retail value and doesn't get marked down though, is the E-PL2.

Of course... the OP is not thinking of buying an E-PL1, he is asking if he should HOLD ON to his existing E-PL1. So in his case... yes, not buying anything and using what you have is certainly the best bang for the buck. :biggrin:
  11. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    The prices are different in Europe. E-PM1 is around 350-400 GBP. You can find used E-PL1 kits around 150-200 GBP. The E-PL2 and E-PL3 have similar prices, close to 300-350 GBP. The pricing doesn't make much sense overall.

The E-P3 is around 600 GBP, as is the GH2. I'd rather have the GH2 at that price.

Prices from a quick look at and Ebay.
  12. paperoga

paperoga New to Mu-43

Jan 27, 2012
    I bought last week a brand new E-PL1 with 14-42 + 40-150 at 369€.
    The cheapest price for the same kit with E-PM1 I found is 570€.
    It's like if I paid only the lens... In the future, I could upgrade to a new generation MFT camera keeping the lens...
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Ah, but we still sell the E-PL1 brand-new in retail stores here, so I was comparing new retail to new retail. :)

Again a difference in market... we do not have twin lens kits here. The 14-42mm is my only choice. The twin lens kits can be a good deal.... or better yet, I saw somebody on this forum mention an E-PM1 kit with 14-150mm. Now that seemed like a good deal. ;) That's a lens worth keeping down the road.
  14. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I upgraded from E-PL1 to E-PM1 and never look back, AF is much fast and more accurate especially at night and taking picture is much snappier (less annoy wait between picture), though I do miss the onboard bounch flash sometimes
  15. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I have an E-PL1 and a E-PL2 (both with the VF-2). I shoot with legacy manual lenses frequently and the E-PL1 is really well suited for that. The IQ is not measurably different between the two, and since I don't Chimp I have the record view always turned off to speed things up.
  16. mambastik

mambastik Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    I have an E-PL1 and still loving it. I love the sharp corners and industrial look to it, along with the VF3 paired with it. The only upgrade I'm willing to consider is to the E-PL2. The E-P1, E-P2, E-PL3, E-PM1 all don't have built-in flashes, and the new E-P3's flash can't be tilted upward to bounce. I'd love the ultra fast AF of the E-P3, but I can't justify spending almost $1k just for that.
  17. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    No! It's pretty much worthless. You should upgrade and send the EPL1 to me for disposal:biggrin:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    UK prices are around £230 for the E-PL1 (bought new with 14-42 mk1):
    Olympus E-PL1 & AF 14-42 Black

E-PM1 is around £300 after the Olympus £50 cashback offer which runs until end of Feb.
    Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1 Black with 14-42mm II R MSC Lens - SALE! - Only £349.00 - SRS Microsystems

So getting to be a fairly narrow gap. I am hoping that the E-PM1 price drops a wee bit more before the end of Feb so I can pick one up for under £300.

In the UK the E-PM1 body only is £250 (no cashback) which is not bad but then if like me you have an E-PL1 with mk 1 kit lens it's probably worth the extra £50 for the new kit lens and the old one can probably be flogged on ebay so you should get back a fair chunk of your £50 from that? (Maybe £40 or so for a used mk1 lens on ebay - have not really looked).
    Olympus PEN Mini E-PM1 White Camera Body - SALE! - Only £249.00 - SRS Microsystems

Still seems to be quite a good market on ebay for used E-PL1s:
    PL1 | eBay UK

Up to £200 for models in good condition - think I would rather spend the extra £30 or £40 and get a new one (with 2 year Olympus guarantee) if I was buying an EPL1 now. Or even better an extra £100 for the E-PM1 unless the budget was really tight.
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    In my city over the Christmas holidays the E-PL1 stayed at around the $450 mark while the E-PM1 was retailing at $500 full price and being discounted to $450, $430 (current price now), and even $400! The only reason the E-PL1s were selling at all was because the stores couldn't keep enough stock of E-PM1s to meet the demand. However, after the new year the E-PL1s got discounted down to $200 for a while. At that price they moved well.
  20. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

Interesting topics, i will stick with epl1 little longer
    • Like Like x 1