1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is my E-PL1 dying?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by mesmerized, Oct 6, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hi there,

I got my E-PL1 a year ago so it's not old at all... Yesterday I was doing a bit of hiking and taking some pictures and I noticed something a bit disturbing. When switching to the P-mode the camera starts acting weird, as if it had a life of its own... It actually behaves as if it was in the SCN mode! A while after changing modes the screen flicks once or twice, for a second I can see the screen with all different SCN settings (Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Beach, Snow etc) and then the screen flicks again...

Has anyone had similar problems with E-PL1 or any other E-series camera?

I'd be grateful for any comments or advice.

Cheers

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You can actually turn on the Scene mode menu (as with the Art Mode menu, the Flash RC menu, the Live Guide menu, or the Super Control Panel) from any PASM shooting mode. These can then be accessed when you hit the OK button by using INFO to cycle through whatever menus you have actively available.

Could it be that you have more menus turned on then you intended? I turn off every single menu except SCP, and in some cases RC.

3. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Ned, thanks.

The problem is that the camera is doing crazy things by itself, whithout my intention whatsoever. I don't want to switch into any modes. Let's say I'm in the P mode. right before I press the shutter button, the camera just jumps to SCN mode, the screen flicks for a second and then it's back to the live view again.

What can I do?

4. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Is it under warranty? I would check if you bought it less than a year ago. I know some Nikon had issues acting odd and you would have to turn off, pull out the battery, and power on to solve. It couldn't hurt to try or sometime a low battery will do strange things. Good luck!

5. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Pcrit, nope... the warranty has been long expired.

Could I somehow restart the camera and bring it back to its default factory settings and firmware?

6. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    That's what I figured but thought I would ask. I am sure you can probably reset the menu to factory but I would think the firmware stays the same and no option to change in camera. It might be possible through software.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    You can reset the settings, but the firmware can't be changed (except to upgrade, if there's a newer one available). You can either use the menu item to reset the options, or leave the battery out for an extended period of time (anywhere from 1-5 days).