1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is my E-M10 damaged?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Raptor7, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I have been some days with my camera in the bag. Today, I wanted to test my new Oly 25mm 1.8, and I have noticed something different in the camera. I'm not entirely sure that it didn't happen before, but I think it didn't...

When I press the shutter button to focus, it does it, but when I unpress the button, the image moves sharply in the viewfinder. It seems that, when the IBIS stop working, the sensor moves and the image in the viewfinder does it too. It does not move too much, but it is enough to be noticeable. I'm sure at 99% that it didn't do it before, and I find it quite annoying. If I focus, then I frame, loose the trigger to adjust the exposure with the front wheel, the image moves and I loose the frame...

Moreover, it seems to me (but I do not know if this is real ... or just paranoia) that it makes more noise when I turn it on and off, and that the focus is slower and more erratic.

I also tested it with the 45mm, and it does the same, so it's not the new lens what is causing this...

Can anybody confirm if your camera do the same or not?

Thank you!

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Is the camera taking the shot you framed, i.e., is it just the viewfinder that's jumping?

3. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    Yes, I think so, as the movement of the image in the viewfinder occurs when I release the shutter button, after taking the shot. I will check it later, just to be sure.

Is your E-M10 doing the same? Or the image in the viewfinder doesn't jump?

Thank you!

Saludos!

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I tried, and I'm not seeing movement on the EVF or the screen.

5. mprazoff

mprazoff New to Mu-43

Oct 5, 2014
    Kailua HI
    The camera can be set to show you the image you just took for a second or two. Is that want is causing the movement you see? If so, it can be turned off.

6. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Normal ibis has a bit of movement in the frame when you first engage it because of how it works but if you are experiencing something that affects the outcome of your originally framed image, it's probably something wrong.

I read a thread sometime last year about a guy who noticed the images saved were a little to the left or right to the images he composed before engaging the af. If I remember correctly it had something to do with the alignment of the sensor being a little off and getting it serviced did fix it.

An initial search did not get any results but I'll try to find the thread before the end of the day.

7. a_hit_of_meth

a_hit_of_meth Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 7, 2012
    Sorry, I've not been able to find it at all. The issue has become even more relevant to me since I might be going for an em10 in the next 24 hours. Please do keep us updated on your issue and how you are able to resolve it if you can.

8. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I contacted with the customer support of Olympus in Spain. They asked me to send the camera to be serviced...

I think that the problem is that when I release the shutter button and the IBIS stop working, the sensor moves too much and the image in the viewfinder does so.

I will keep you updated as soon as I know anything else from the customer support.

Thank you!

Saludos!

9. berni29

berni29 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    Hi

Does this happen when the camera is on a tripod or other fixed surface? If not then it is the IBIS deactivating and the image in the VF shifting a bit as it does so. If it moves when on a tripod then something is not right in my opinion.

All the best

Berni

10. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Just turn the stabilization off and see if the same thing happens. If the same thing occurs then send the camera in, if the image no longer moves then the stabilization is not the cause and I would not worry about it if everything works at expected.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    Mine does exactly what you're describing, as does my EP5. I don't think it will change when you get the camera back from Olympus unless the effect you're seeing is much more drastic than what I see in my two cameras.

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I'd put it down to stabilisation activated on the half-press.
    Change that setting and see it it's more confortable for you
    like maybe stabilise on shutter only instead of the half-press.
    Use your options.

13. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    I have deactivated the IBIS and the image doesn't move, so it is the stabilization, as I suspected. I tried to put off the "stabilization activated on half-press", but it makes no difference.

If this was happening when I bought the camera, it wouldn't matter to me. But this started suddenly... So I am scared about some kind of malfunctioning in the camera. Anyway, as some of you tell me that your cameras do the same, I will wait sometime and see if it remains the same or become worst.

I will try to make a video of the problem...

Thank you very much!

Saludos!

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I think you should not worry.
    What if sometimes the "resting state" of the sensor is a long way from the "stabilised state" ... let it get on with the job.
    It'll probably do something else in a few months,
    or if you juggle your cameras.

Camera juggling, that'd be a proper google search.

15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I've always sent my camera in just before the warranty expires for a clean and a check - free while under warranty. And if I have any concerns I mention those as well. I know on my m4/3s cameras something's I just didn't initially notice and then do later, like the sounds of IBIS stabilization working when near minimum close focusing distances.

So if are still within the warranty period just keep using the camera, and then just before the warranty expires send it for a clean and check, and mention if something is bothering you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There has been the odd IBIS failure in the E-M5's in the past but that was early units that it occurred with & were fixed (or replaced). If it were to start jumping in the view finder then you know you have a problem & getting it fixed before warranty runs out would be what you would want to do. I would also suggest you look at the camera's sensor (with no lens attached) when switching on. The sensor will be off centre at no power (at rest) & at power ON it will pull the sensor assembly to the centre & will remain there (if not moving the body) when pressing the shutter button & taking a shot (without lens) using IS1 or Auto. If it jerks to one side then send it in for repair.