1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is my 12-50mm M.Zuiko faulty?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Eltocliousus, Jul 15, 2012.

1. Eltocliousus

Eltocliousus Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 15, 2012
    I've not had my OM-D for long now, possibly a month, although I have a couple of issues with the 12-50mm kit lens that after stumbling across a review for the lens, have gotten me thinking, mine may actually be broken.

I have two issues, the lens makes a 'knocking' sound when tilted rotating it length-ways, and when in manual zoom mode, the zoom ring continues to rotate once I've reached the minimum/maximum zoom range with more friction, should I be sending this lens back to be replaced or are these normal issues?

The noise when rotating the lens gently (length-ways): Vocaroo | Voice message

The performance seems normal on the lens, although it's been like this since I've got it so I can't compare, hopefully all is normal.

Thankyou for any replies, take care.

2. TexChappy

TexChappy Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2012
    Mine went past the min/max as well. Of course, I took back my OM-D because the focus was off on it.

3. Eltocliousus

Jul 15, 2012
    I read a review that the zoom ring stops indefinitely in manual zoom when you reach the min/max, it could have been wrong information, however it was a trusted source I believe. (photographyblog.com).

4. gtbarnes

gtbarnes Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2012
    San Diego, California
    Gary Barnes
    Yes, mine goes past the min/max in manual zoom. It also has a somewhat sticky and grindy feel when zooming within the zoom range. Does anyone else have that sort of friction with their zoom ring?

5. Eltocliousus

Jul 15, 2012
    Can you confirm if the lens makes a slight knocking noise when tilting length-ways? As if something is moving inside, cheers!

6. dogs100

dogs100 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 12, 2011
    N Devon UK
    Geoff
    Mine makes the same noise when tilted or gently shaken ... can't comment on the zoom ring issue

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    The zoom ring doesn't stop when min/max focal length is reached. You just encounter a slight resistance, and then you can continue to rotate the ring pass this resistance point. I never noticed the knocking sound, but I tried tilting the lens as you suggested, and there was this knocking sound resulting from something moving inside the lens! I have been using it for the past two months, and there is no issue with the lens though, so I guess your lens is normal. I do prefer using E-Zoom mode because I can't stand the grinding noise/feel of the zoom ring when in manual zoom mode...

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The slipping of the zoom ring is obviously a safety feature to prevent damage & the lens (when not powered) will allow the internal element to slide from end to end, being audible as it does. This is normal for this lens.

9. Eltocliousus

Jul 15, 2012
    Thankyou for the replies guys, it seems my lens is perfectly fine, the knocking is worrying though and it does makes the lens feel less solid, almost fragile, I wonder what it is that's moving around?