1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is Ming Thein moaning too much?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by rossi46, Mar 10, 2013.

1. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    I have been following Ming Thein's blog for quite awhile now due to the details shared in gear review, and he covers quite abit on photography lessons and approaches, I did pick up or rather realize a few useful tips from his blog such as - half pressing the shutter to prevent misfocus instead of instantly firing away the shutter,...and always watching your frames when you shoot.

However,...I am finding that his blog is beginning to get abit tiresome,...especially when he writes too long,...and too much moaning and moaning...

Examples -
    - his latest post about the current state of his blog, when he wrote about number of traffics to his sites,..he complains that some bloggers are spreading multiple pages in a single article to artificially increase the number of visits / traffics to their sites..
    While he puts his article in a single page,...thus he is getting less traffic.
    - he talked about some larger sites ignoring the emails of the readers, while he responds to every single email to him.
    - He complained that his own commercial work is taking a back seat because he writes too long and too much and responds to reader's emails.
    - previously, he complained about the current state of photography in Malaysia,...stating that the industry does not reward talents,...it is those who shouts the loudest gets heard
    - he complained about ethics in blogging, that there are those who writes out strong stuff and loudest get the most attention, while their photos sort of show lack of photography skills...
    - he criticized alot of local wedding photographers by saying that they are forming an association and pat each other on their back to make themselves look good
    - he also criticized the current wedding photography industry of heading towards the direction of trying to do overly spectacular stuff when taking wedding photo,...and that the wedding photographers always get in the way of guests during the dinner...etc etc...

....and many many more....

Am I the only one who finds that he moans too much? (Or am I the one who moans too much?)...

Before I get shot,...let me say it out myself first,...I don't have to read it if I don't like it....hehee:smile:
    But still,...its fun for me to " moan......"

2. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    Not to be rude, but your post was pretty long.. :biggrin:

But in all seriousness, I usually just skim through his or other blog article.

3. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

...don't worry Ming, we all get through that stage sometimes ;P

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Speaks his mind - There are still some places on the planet where one can't do that...

• Like Like x 2
  5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    It just seems he is unable to accept the realities of marketing. He doesn't WANT to blog in a way to be SEO friendly which is nice but yes, it will limit traffic and as such earning potential. He doesn't WANT to co-market with other photographers.. Which limit exposure and earning potential. So be it.

Remind of all the film guys who refused to accept the huge wave of change when dSLRs came out and just couldn't accept the evolution of photography.

Almost all the car mags and car review shows fall to the same thing. Talk bad once and your cut off from that brand and you out of business. Its more speak nice and speak highly for a ground breaker.. Never say anything really bad unless its absolutely justified and utter garbage ie sd-1 price etc.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't blame him. Commercial photography unfortunately consist hugely of marketing. Honestly, the bigger the bark, the smaller the bite. Some of the best photographers I've seen are the worst at marketing themselves. A lot of these so-called pro-photographers I've seen are some of the most blandest shooters ever. But they're so into their own hype, they start getting others to believe that they're the greatest thing since sliced cheese.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Any blogger who keeps things on a single page and avoids cheesy frames and extra clicks is worth his weight in imaginary internet gold.
    Any blogger who responds to comments and e-mails is superb.

Do NOT complain about someone doing a better job than most.

• Like Like x 10
  8. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Burnt....LOL...hehe:redface:

9. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    Thanks for sharing your different thoughts,...nice hearing them.

I agree that we should appreciate a blogger who takes the trouble to reply to all emails, or rather as much as possible.

I am just looking at things another way,...in terms of shouting out loud,...isn't what Ming is doing currently sort of like shouting out loud as well,... in another way,...
    which is to be controversial and speak his mind, which usually ends up slagging another party somehow or rather...= considered as shouting out load too?

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    So just to be clear, you're writing an extensive post moaning about an interesting and experienced blogger who 'moans' too much and who writes highly informative and informed posts (that you're right, you don't have to read) that are too long?

Right.

Out of interest, what are you offering the photographic world?

• Like Like x 2
  11. jeffg53

jeffg53 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Jeff Grant
    My opinion is that he has one of the most interesting blogs around. I skip what doesn't interest me like reviews of Nikon gear. He also writes better than most other bloggers, and his composition skills are excellent to boot. I learn as much from his images as his writing.

• Like Like x 4
  12. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

He will not please everyone, and not everyone will please you. There's 7 billion people on earth, you're not going to agree with all of them. No one is forcing you to pay attention nor worry about him.

That's my contribution to the world :tongue:

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I actually appreciate his transparency and candor, as well as respect his talent and intelligence.

• Like Like x 1
  14. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012

:smile::redface::redface::smile:hehe

15. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Well it's his blog so he gets to moan about what he likes really.

I enjoy his images and reviews and am quite capable of skipping past stuff that is less interesting for me. Not a problem.

16. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John

It seems to me that the simple solution is for you to stop reading his blog and for him to stop writing it. It beats me why both of you are apparently doing something you don't like and don't have to do! :confused:

17. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Warning: This post is a bit of a rant.

Ming Thein is a very good writer and photographer. There's a lot to recommend about his site. However, he rubs me the wrong way on a couple of points:

1) He's pretty arrogant with all this business about doing tests scientifically. He makes his share of mistakes and is almost completely refractory to correction. Statements like "Please go by the commentary rather than the reduced crops; I am looking at uncompressed RAW files on a calibrated monitor, not a websize JPEG" (1) are ridiculous when one is presenting 100% crops for evaluation in a review. For one thing, you can't view unprocessed RAW on a monitor. RAW files have to be processed to see an image. Also, if you present crops to demonstrate lens performance, expect people to form their own opinions of those data instead of relying on your holy pronouncements. Lastly, these comments about viewing on a calibrated monitor are coming from someone who calibrates by eye without calibration hardware (4).

2) His blanket stereotypes of bloggers and forum-goers (2) make for a distasteful combination. For all his comments about bloggers who have to use the latest affiliate gear and post affiliate links (2, 3), he is a blogger who uses the latest gear and posts affiliate links.

Here's what he wrote in October 2012 (2):

That was BS even when he wrote it. If he intended to keep it that way, why had he started to include affiliate links in every post? And what about now that he's interested in using banner ads including Adsense, affiliate revenue, donations, subscriptions, etc. If low revenue was guaranteeing your integrity before, what about now that you're opening up the revenue spigot? His new post about the commericial realities of blogging should include an apology to all the bloggers he slagged off for finding a way to deal with those same commercial realities.

If he wants to criticize others for their motivations and claim objectivity, then he needs to walk the straight and narrow path like Sean Reid (who, by the way, does not criticize others). Or be honest about your conflict of interest and stop casting stones. If you write gear reviews that end with an affiliate link, you have a conflict of interest. There's no getting around that, so if you're honest and value integrity, just be transparent about that conflict of interest instead of pretending your s*** doesn't stink.

• Like Like x 2
  18. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    Yes Amin, he is not exactly mr congeniality :laugh1:
    and a bit self absorbed I guess

19. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012

Maybe like me,...he enjoys having a moan....

20. rossi46

rossi46 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2012
    I think he is frustrated not getting the recognition he desires for his photography works, when compared to some others (in his opinion), which he thought that their shouting does more of the talking than their photography. Personally, I thought that if a photographer is really great enough, the recognition will come automatically (I am not saying he is bad).....
    I think thats abit unprofressional to slag off others like that.

Well,...before I am shot again, I think you can be a crappy photographer (I mean me), but it does not mean you can't voice your opinion about someone who is better than you.

See....all the sports live host, journalists and so on slagging off those professional players,...but nobody is telling them "why not you go and play the game and see how you fare..."....