Is MFT the answer to the question?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by f2&bethere, Aug 24, 2013.

1. f2&bethere

f2&bethere Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 28, 2013
    Check out this post (quoted below) on

I think MFT would be a good answer to the question. You?

WWHCBD. What would Henri Cartier-Bresson do?

What would HCB use if he was just starting out today?

I realize we would never reach the definitive answer, but it might make for amusing conversation.

HCB broke from tradition. The Leica is a conservative choice today, but at the time it was a radical choice.

Real Photographers (TM) at the time used sheet film or roll film (large- or medium-format). 35mm film was for movie cameras, not serious still photography. The Leica was not considered a serious camera at the time.

Fast-forward to 2013 and Real Photographers(TM) use full-frame (or at least APS-C versions) from the likes of Nikon and Canon.

HCB wanted a simple, compact, unobtrusive camera that produced sufficient image quality.

Please remember, this is for fun. Please leave your flame-throwers at home :).

I would love to hear what others think...
  2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    I'm not sure if m43 is the answer to this. Maybe the EP-1 with the 17mm optical viewfinder would fit the bill. One of the great things about Leica and street photography is the non-zooming viewfinder.

While many complain about seeing the widest field possible and having to frame with little white lines, that, and I think for many Leica fans, was one of my favorite things about using my Leica's. The compact size, etc ... was, without a doubt, a major factor as well.

But that wide angle of view is magic in so many ways.

You can watch as the photo develops, you can watch as elements come into the frame and into play with the composition. With an SLR, or zooming viewfinder, you have blinders on. You can't (unless you keep your non-shooting eye open (not necessarily easy) watch all this.

Henri's "decisive moments" came about by not just anticipating those moments, but watching them develop this way.