1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is Macbook Pro good enough?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gingergirl, Apr 9, 2015.

1. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm thinking of buying a used mid 2012 13" MBP 2.9Ghz with 8GB memory and 750GB hard drive. Is this fast enough for Lightroom and either CS6 or CC? It'll be my first Mac so I'm not as familiar with MAC specs as I am with Windows based hardware.

2. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    i was previously using a 2011 macbook air 13" core i5 1.7ghz with 4gb ram and 256gb ssd, and it worked fine with lightroom 4 and elements 10. there were occasional slowdowns but still acceptable at least for me. so the 2012 macbook pro with a better cpu and ram will likely do fine too, though you can consider upgrading the hdd to ssd. :)

3. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    I'm using an early 2011 13" MBP 2.3 GHz with 16GB (probably only uses max 8 though) and 1TB HD with LR5 and CS6. Is it good enough? Well, I certainly wouldn't mind a newer and faster one but it works ok. It's works great compared to my 2010 27" iMac with 4Gb memory which is awfully slow doing the same things. Can't say how it would compare to a windows machine as I left them behind several years ago. It all depends on your budget and expectations. It should be ok though. Check out the refurbished offerings at Apple too. They usually have some good deals.

4. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    It should be plenty fast enough. A cheap performance tweak if you do encounter slowdowns is to upgrade your RAM to 16GB, something you can easily do on your own, and gravijaflare's suggestion for an ssd drive upgrade will make a surprisingly large difference, though you may need someone to do that for you. +1 on TassieFig's Apple refurb suggestion, I've bought my last couple or three Macs that way and saved lots of money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    An SSD will give you the biggest bang for the buck with any laptop.

6. condo39

condo39 Mu-43 Regular

Using a mid 2012 15" MBP with 256gb SSD and 8GB of RAM. Runs LR5 perfectly.

7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why on earth would you buy an OLD computer? I hope it is super cheap.

8. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    In answer to the op's question, yes, it certainly is fast enough, have no qualms about getting it.

9. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I don't make my living at this. I think used or refurb would be a good intro into the Mac world for me without breaking the bank.

• Like Like x 2
  10. tkbslc

But why switch to mac if you are on a budget? Lightroom runs the same on a PC and you can get a new PC for what a used Mac costs. Laptops aren't highly durable products. I wouldn't buy one used. batteries have limited lives and heat kills key laptop components within a few years. They also get banged around a lot. Refurb, is a different story because Apple puts new batteries in them and warrants them as new. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurb from Apple directly.

11. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Opens a bag of popcorn ;)

12. tkbslc

Not Mac vs PC, I'm arguing used vs new.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  13. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Fast enough? Yes. But I too would steer clear of a used laptop unless you factor in the price of a battery. ("Apple" and "budget" in the same sentence?)

And a 13" screen for editing? Marginal.

14. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Should be fine. I run a mid-2012 15" MBP that I bought refurbished off of Apple's website. Work's perfectly fine and actually looked like it was new when I received it. My first advice would be to upgrade the ram to 16GB and swap out the hard drive to an SSD. Run the 750GB in an external enclosure or buy a tray to mount it in place of the internal dvd superdrive (so you can run dual hard drives in your laptop). Then you can buy a cheap enclosure for the superdrive and run that externally whenever it's needed. Hope that helps.

15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Doesn't new ram and an SSD somewhat negate any cost savings? It may still be a good price with these upgrades, but they should be taken into account, especially given the price of new laptops and refurbished machines these days.

--Ken

16. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    It's perfectly fine for photo editing using LR or CS.

My main editing Mac is a mid-2011 27" iMac, 2.7GHz i5 with 16GB RAM and 2TB internal HD and is plenty fast enough for LR6.

17. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Crucial 16gb of ram for that computer is around $80 on Amazon. A 128gb Samsung Evo SSD is about $72 on Amazon as well. The performance gain from both of those for the price is worth it, especially the ram whenever you're running programs like Photoshop and Lightroom (and if you want to keep multiple programs open like a web browser). Both of these I'd say greatly enhance an older computer. The SSD can be reused in an external enclosure later on down the line if the laptop is upgraded to something new. Just my .02

18. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Do you need a laptop? perhaps a MacMini might work out just as well if you want to go the Mac route, I prefer a desktop to work on and built a hack but its not for most. But you can get a new r refurb mini for a reasonable amount and a decent monitor can be had for not a lot.

19. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

max out the memory... whatever you do, don't pay Apple prices for memory. Priced very high. I usually start my shopping with macsales.com (which is OWC).

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I purchased the laptop and upgraded to 16GB RAM and an SSD. Sure, it added to the price but still a lot cheaper than new and I expect it'll do me for a while. It's the fastest machine I've ever owned so I'm quite pleased.

• Like Like x 3