Is M43 still "discreet" if you use a proper lens hood?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by MarylandUSA, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    We M43 users love our gear small. We brag how, with an M43 body and a native pancake lens, we can shoot unnoticed. Some of us even post pictures showing our "small package" in hand. :)

But in most of these pictures, the lens is hoodless. As soon as you add a proper hood to the Oly 45/1.8, the Oly 60/2.8, or even the Panasonic 20/1.7, you're much more conspicuous.

Shouldn't we be honest that a hood will nullify much of our size advantage? Shouldn't we say, "With Micro Four Thirds, few will notice that you're holding camera--as long as you're willing to shoot without a hood"?

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    To be honest, flare isn't much of an issue with any M43 lens I've used. They sell short hoods and you can even just use a step-up/down adapter to give some physical protection for your lens. For me I like short and compact metal hoods off Ebay, mainly to protect the lens from knocking around. I don't think a couple MMs will matter much. Your shooting technique for being discreet will be more important.

3. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Agreed - I've never had much trouble shooting hoodless with the 20/1.7 or 14/2.5, though I do sometimes use the small metal e-bay hoods I doubt they offer any flare protection. Once you're not using a pancake I doubt the hood matters much since now you're paparazzi in the eyes of the public!

4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Good question . Some hoods are just beastly, like the one for 25mm1.4. It practically doubles the size!
    I don't use the hood on 20mm lens. I am not sure it's needed and also since you are attaching it to the movable part of the lens , I am afraid you can overwork the little motor or damage the lens when you bump the hood into something . Same for the 14-42 powerzoom.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    I think you're a bit off base here.

While it's true that adding a hood makes an m43s kit larger, the same goes for ANY rig. In general, the hoods for an m43 lens is smaller that the hood for a comparable lens on a APS-c or FF rig. Nothing is nullified by the use of a hood. The "size advantage" of m43 over APS-c and FF format cameras is still then even when you use a hood.

7. MarylandUSA

MarylandUSA Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2013
    Poolesville, Maryland
    Paul Franklin Stregevsky
    Do larger formats need longer hoods for the same field of view?

You're right, I was assuming that hoods become an equalizer. To take an analogy to extremes, imagine you have two bicycles. one weighs 10kg, the other 20kg. The lighter bike weighs 50 percent less. But if you strap a 10kg weight to each bicycle, the lighter bike now weighs just 33 percent less (20kg vs 30).

Interesting, that the hoods can be smaller. Let's consider a 50mm prime lens. As we all know, a 50 on M43 provides the same field of view as a 100 on full frame. Let's say that on full frame, you wanted to fully protect a lens from flare. For a 100mm lens, you'd need a hood that measured 48mm long. For a 50mm lens, you could get by with a hood that measured 30mm long.

On M43, would the same 50mm lens need the 30mm hood, or the 48mm?

8. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    On adapted lenses I use the hood that matches the field of view. The hood form my 90mm goes on the 50mm. The hood from my 50mm goes on the 24mm.

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I love lens hoods. They make me look pro.

Also, my G5 with hood is more discreet than any cam without hood because I have the electronic shutter.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I always shoot with my hoods one. But...then again, I'm not overly obsessed with size & discreetness either. :smile:

11. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    What is a lens hood? ;) I just shoot naked.

12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Honestly speaking, I ain't gonna lie, I used to use lens hoods with dslrs because they looked more 'pro' :) Then that reasoning transitioned into my taking up with the hood Camp in the eternal war of "Hoods vs. UV filters" - a battle that has raged on for decades.

For a while I used hoods on m43 lenses because it was what I'd always done before. Now they sit in the back of a drawer, and they only ever come out every once in a while when I wonder why I stopped using them.

Inevitably, they go back in the drawer a day or two later.

13. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I used hoods on the longer FL such as the 75mm f/1.8 and 75-300mmII but on the shorter FL no I did as most were ireversible or like the Oly 12-50...square.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hoods add relative size to any format. Hoods make for better quality images.

This thread.... :rolleyes:

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    They're still discrete. No camera is invisible, but shooting an E-M5 with a 12-35 is still a lot more subtle than shooting a 5DII with a 24-105. In every way. And I get quite a lot of 'is that an old film camera?' questions from folks because of the old-school vibe. Which is actually a plus, as people seem to feel more at ease if you're shooting 'old' cameras (i.e. you must be artistic and/or a 'serious photographer').

16. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Cameras aren't discrete, people are.

Fred

17. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    On pancakes like the panny 14 and 20 it would make some difference in 'visibility', on most 'normal lenses not so much. The tric is that smaller bodies like the pen mini with a pancake look a lot like a simple point and shoot, tending to atract less attention.

As for function; a good well sized hood (especialy no wider then needed for a certain angle of view) does help in IQ, and in most cases metal hoods are better protection than a clear filter or a UV filter.

18. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Related side note: does anyone else think that somewhere between design and production, the PL25 and PL45 lens hoods were accidentally switched? What other explanation could there be for have a longer, narrower hood for the PL25? I sold my PL45, but before I did, I always used its hood on my PL25.

19. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    The PL45 is a macro. The longer lens hood would get in the way if you want to get right up on your subject.

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Olympus realizes this problem and therefore does not include hoods with their lenses. To further discourage their use they charge exorbitant prices for the hoods they do sell. They are a very thoughtful company in that way.