Is m43 ready for men's fashion?

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
I hope some of you find this of interest.

About 2 months ago, I had the opportunity to shoot a men's fashion spread for a new start-up magazine called Stingray Magazine. I am not at all known for my fashion or lifestyle photography, but a gentleman named Michael Wilson (who I had met more than three years ago) expressed interest in my photographic style and wanted to see how he and I might work together.

To make a long story short, I shot two different sets of images for his men's magazine - Stingray Magazine - using the Lumix G9 and Olympus Pro 45mm f1.2. He was pleased with the results and the first set of images (a men's fashion spread) was posted about a week ago and I am now cleared to share some of them with you.

You will find my blog post about the shoot at www.billdeuster.wordpress.com

Questions, feedback and comments are all welcome - I hope you will visit!

Thanks,

Bill

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Hi PakkyT,

No, editorial has always been low pay, and with startup publications (especially today, as print media shrinks), the intial content is often created as collaborative efforts among the creatives who love their work more than pay. Just curious what payment has to do with the shared process and information - any questions about the process?

twigboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Had no idea that thread existed, sorry. Thanks for the heads up twigboy.

Admin - let me know if this should be moved or cross-posted. Really thought this applied to m43 and its use as a pro tool. Thanks

B

Didn't mean: move it. Thought you'd want to post something there of the published result too.

Phocal

God
So, $100 question... did you get paid for the shoot?
Hi PakkyT,

No, editorial has always been low pay, and with startup publications (especially today, as print media shrinks), the intial content is often created as collaborative efforts among the creatives who love their work more than pay. Just curious what payment has to do with the shared process and information - any questions about the process?
Editorial has not always been low pay. It is nowadays because photography is so devalued.

This why I have moved farther and farther away from photography as my main source of income. To many people willing to do work for free just so they can brag to their friends that they have been published. Thankfully I can write and take photographs, still able to make a decent living from the writing because most people are not able to write. It's also why I have moved more into the art side of things with my photographs.

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Editorial has not always been low pay. It is nowadays because photography is so devalued.

No, it has not always been low pay, but usually quite a bit less than the equivalent commercial jobs at the time. Now, it has gotten to the point that some mags want you to come up with the story idea, do the photography with all associated costs (they will write the copy) and then require that you pay them to publish it. How's that for a business model (no pun intended).

In this case, I had known Michael for three years and felt like I would like to tackle something outside my immediate area of specialty. He was game and I got to test the waters - and really enjoyed it. And now want to build a portfolio that might attract paying work.

Thanks for posting - thought provoking topic...

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
This why I have moved farther and farther away from photography as my main source of income. To many people willing to do work for free just so they can brag to their friends that they have been published. Thankfully I can write and take photographs, still able to make a decent living from the writing because most people are not able to write. It's also why I have moved more into the art side of things with my photographs.

Phocal, I completely understand. But I have a handful of circumstances that go back to the beginning of my career where someone was willing to do something so cheap that any pro would walk away - so this is not entirely new - it just is far, far more common today! We all must adapt - it can be hard to watch as the skills we have developed are progressively undervalued. I have always believed that having more, rather than fewer, skills was the only way to stay relevant. This is why I also write, produce video, design marketing collateral and catalogs (digital mostly, but some still print) and offer large format printing. Glad you have found a new niche too!

Thanks for taking the time to respond! B

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
Those photos look good! The fashion... well, it proves I'm outta touch.

Appreciate the kind words, and yes, the models are in their early 20's and the fashion is apparently cutting edge (somewhere). The garment/fabric quality is quite high, I might add, though I don't have an eye for it either and it is why stylists and fashion designers exist. :)

Thanks for looking and responding...

B

say_doyster

Mu-43 Regular
I forecast at least 10 years ago on another photo forum that some hobbyist would, at some point, ask how much they should pay a publisher to use their photo.

So true, and good call! My first introduction to the idea that photography was going to be devalued came in the early 1990's when a gentleman prominent in the ASMP warned anyone who would listen about the coming price apocalypse in the stock image sector - he predicted royalty free discs, online stock sites and the idea of image subscriptions (and rampant piracy because digital copies are basically originals, depending on resolution) - oh and the idea that photography would become a commodity, and a cheap one at that (long before the introduction of the smart phone, I might add).

Wonder what the "good old days" will be for professional photography looking back in 30 years?? And how photography is viewed and used by the general population?

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Just curious what payment has to do with the shared process and information - any questions about the process?

I was just curious because the whole description sounds like the classic "work for exposure" job where you are told they are just starting up and have no money, but he really likes your style, etc. etc. but the exposure will be great. Did the models and stylist get paid or were they working for exposure as well? :wink:

EDIT to clarify: Just realized this might come across wrong. I am in no way criticizing you. I have always believed anyone should be able to do anything they want with their photography including giving it away for free (have always hated when people admonish others if they work for free as "devalue the industry"). I sincerely was interested because as we see more and more people trying to build a business on a much more DIY scale available than ever before, I am interested in how far some of these people will go to do as much as they can for themselves on the backs of others without truly compensating those others for forwarding their business.

Last edited:

Equable

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Rod
As an older guy, I find myself more and more confused, you know; full frame being smaller than medium format, the well dressed man no longer required to wear socks :hmmm: On a more serious note, loved the photography and the blog.

Phocal

God
If you are in Florida (maybe Jersey as well) then as an older guy you are required to wear socks with sandals. :roflmao:

That is actually pretty normal for people of all ages in the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. I love wearing wool socks and sandals and so glad to be back where it is an acceptable fashion choice.

Latest threads

Top Bottom