1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is LR 2 still worth using?

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by agentlossing, Nov 14, 2013.

1. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I have Elements, but being an old fashioned LR user (LR1 back in its day) and not a PS user, I find it complicated to use. My computer can't handle a new copy of LR, nor can my wallet, but I found a copy of LR2 for thirty bucks.

Deal or no deal?

2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Not a bad deal, especially if you shoot raw and do not have a raw converter. Of, if you want to stick with Lightroom in the long run.

--Ken

3. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yes, definitely..esp for that price

4. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I was trying to develop my Lightroom 4 skills. The only Lightroom book in the library was Scott Kelby's Lightroom 2 book. I read that and surprisingly there are a lot of things in LR2 that are carried over to LR4 in both Library and Develop modules. Certainly go for it. LR4 and now LR5 are both around $75 by Academic discount (I think). If you have children or you are a teacher, maybe you can avail of the newer edition.

John S.

5. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    I would take the $30 and have a nice lunch way to out of date.Only my opinion.

6. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I'd pass. I'd figure out how to raise some funds for a computer that will handle LR5, though. :smile:

7. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Keep in mind, I used LR 1 until I had to reinstall it too many times and the license uses ran out. You have to pay attention to the $$$ figures, though... $30 vs ~$150+ for LR5 plus the funds for a new computer? Come now :) I'm getting married in a little over two months...

8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    LR 3, 4 and 5 may be better, but I could easily live with LR 2 for some time. As a I said above, if you do not have a raw converter, need one, and like LR, then it is not an unreasonable choice. And it should be seemless if you decide to upgrade - no small issue depending on your workflow.

Good luck with the wedding!

--Ken

9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Thanks! :)

I ended up going for this deal, and am installing it now. We'll see how useful it proves!