Is Leica 50mm F0.95 that good?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by inuini2005, Aug 14, 2013.

1. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I got hold of it once and was very tempted to earn my own copy someday. My question is, currently I have a range of lenses for MFT and DSLR, as well as some legacy lenses, covering the focal range from ultra-wide to long-tele, film, digital and RF. Would it be worth it to sell all these and go for a copy of the Noctilux and perhaps an M6?

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What exactly are you looking for?

Don't just buy it just because its a Leica, expensive, and fast. There is a lot more to it. Its $10k lens and to buy it (selling everything) without truly knowing what you are getting is a huge recipe for disappointment. Selling a Noctilux on the open market is not as easy as one would think.

Are you familiar with shooting with a rangefinder?

I personally chose to stick with my Leica Noctilux 50mm f/1. If I want to render more closely to a Summilux, I would just use my 50mm Summilux.

3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's better at f0.95 than any other 50mm lens. It's NOT better than any other 50mm lens at f2 or slower. So it depends. If you actually NEED to shoot at f0.95, it's the only 50mm in town.

Of course, if you can live with f1.1, the Voigtlander Nokton costs 1/10th as much. And at f1.2, lots of options exist.

4. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    I have the Canon 50mm F0.95 and the RF Canon 7, a bit struggling when shooting wide open. For 1.2 I own some OM legacies and also the Canon EF 50 and 85 1.2Ls. The 0.95 Noctilus is just a super holy grail to me :)

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Well, only you can determine if it's worth 10x what a 50mm f1.1 Voigtlander Nokton is. For the vast majority of people, it's not.

I'll re-state the first reply's question: What do you wish to accomplish with it?

If you actually want it because it's "the Holy Grail" well, you might find that, once you have it, the Holy Grail is just a fancy cup, and the reality is nothing at all like the myth.

6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Are you familiar with how the old Noctilux (non-aspherical) 50mm renders classically??

Are you familiar with how the newest 50mm Summilux f/1.4 (aspherical) renders??

Combine the two.... the shallow DOF and fast aperture of a noctilux with the more "modern" rendering of an Aspherical Summilux. If that's what you want, then go ahead. But its all in your expectations and what you are looking for.

For me, I preferred the character of the non-aspherical Noctilux over the newest version. If I wanted something that was more modern in rendering, then the 50mm Summilux is far more effective (smaller, lighter, shorter focus throw etc).

IMO, The "holy grail" of any tool always disappoints. Why? Because there is no such tool for all situations. Hence why I have 3 Leica M 50mm; Summarit, Summilux and Noctilux.

7. inuini2005

inuini2005 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Probably I will stick with my current lineup coz no matter what it's still a long way to achieve that haha, I guess to give up all the setup for a swap to the Leica and Noctilux, the only benefit would be having a more focused 1 lens 1 body gear, and will be fully using it without the choices and combinations I have now, which some of the gears are not being fully utilized :)