Is leaving your camera in the car bad for it?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cr0b4r, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2013
    Just curious what you guys think. I have a regular Lowepro camera bag and wondering if its a bad idea to leave it in the car due to heat, moisture, etc.

And lets assume parking is very secure.
  2. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Heat will not be kind to adhesives and batteries. Depends where you live though, Texas summer sun is a bit more extreme than say Seattle.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Yeah, mainly temperature swings and temperature extremes are going to be your issues. Can be hard on batteries, especially. I would say it depends where you live.

If you keep your camera in a bag out of direct sunlight, and it isn't hard freezing or getting over 100F every day, I probably wouldn't be too concerned. If it were me, I'd probably have a special car kit that contained an older/cheaper "beater" camera and lenses. That's not hard to do with the value of older m4/3 cameras and kit zooms.

EDIT: maybe I am reading too much into this. Are you asking if it is OK to leave in the car occasionally or all the time for months or years?
  4. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I keep a small bag with my PM2, a couple of small lenses and a small flash in my car all the time except during our 100-plus degree summers. I haven't noticed any deleterious effects yet. I do swap out the batteries regularly.

My main kit with EM5 and pro lenses doesn't stay in the car but that is as much concern about theft as anything else.

All that is a far cry from the old days when film would go bad pretty quickly when left in a hot car. I used to worry about extra film in my backpack during sunny-day climbs. Don't miss those days.
  5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2014
    Brisbane, Australia
    As long as the camera stays in the bag, the car should be safe.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Cr0b4r

Cr0b4r Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 4, 2013
    I'm in Portland, OR. Fairly moderate, with the exception of this summer which had record 90+ degree days. Good info, thanks !
  7. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    1) In summer heat, no.

2) Parked cars are never secure!
  8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Trunk better than interior. Keep it out of direct sun especially.
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    ..... how long does it take ice to melt? ........ :dance3:
  10. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    When it's hot I just make sure it's not in direct sun and leave the windows down :)
  11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I personally wouldn't leave a camera in a car for a long period as the adhesives used to join plastic and rubber have a tendency to fail. Plastic also loves to off gas and leave a haze on optical surfaces, however I'm not too worried about it with something as imprecise as a camera lens.

It's generally just a bad habit though.
  12. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    Keep a pre-cooled small picnic cooler in your trunk. Put your camera in a bag and throw it in the cooler. Should be able to survive for a few hours park under hot sun.