1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is it worth using the 240fps focusing?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jyc860923, Nov 14, 2013.

1. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    is it worth using the 240fps focusing?

it degrades the live view quality, it disables the "enhanced" mode and it might even drain more power. But I'm sure we wouldn't hesitate to use it if the AF's visibly better. I was shooting the p25 1.4 today and I thought the 240fps might be better but no big difference I could find to prove my thought. Anybody has a more "modern" lens with 240fps enabled would share some experience?

2. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    What camera are you using? On the E-M5, high refresh rate mode makes a marked difference for both my C-AF/C-AF+TR hit rates and is simply incredibly useful for following movement during action anyway. It's not just the increased refresh rate that's important: using this mode also decreases lag between real life events and on screen happenings very noticeably.

• Like Like x 1
  3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I'm using EPL5, so I guess almost identical to em5. it does give a more "real time" feeling. other than that, I'm using s-af so didn't notice a real difference.

4. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I am using the em5. Setting the sample rate to 240 fps makes a huge difference in single af. In combination with setting the focus point to its smallest size and pumping focus in single AF, I find it more useful than continuous AF

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Are you guys sure that AF is affected by changing the frame rate? I thought it internally switches to high frame rate anyhow whenever it focuses (in fact, you'll notice in low light the viewfinder image will dim slightly when focusing no matter what refresh rate is selected).

Fast frame rate certainly improves VF lag, but it does so at the expense of a reduced EV compensation range on the display in low light (I mean how the display shows EV correction by lightening / darkening). It might also affect battery life (must test this sometime).

• Like Like x 2
  6. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/91...ing-the-most-out-of-the-olympus-e-m5/2/#Func3

Above link (not sure what the exact sampling rate, dpreview says 120hz) is when I first heard about it. When I tested it myself, I found it to be true. Focus far and near in quick sequence with the framerate set to high and normal using a relatively quick focusing lens. The difference is obvious.

This is for the E-m5.

I only use it for my preset that is intended to shoot moving subjects.

• Like Like x 2
  7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I believe when using normal refresh rate, the EVF is set to 60hz, but focusing is set to 120hz. When using high refresh rate, the EVF is at 120hz, but focusing operates at 240hz. If you shoot a burst, you can tell by how degraded/pixelated the image looks. On regular refresh rate mode, a you can see the image degrade as the camera focuses and shoots, but it does so to a much greater degree in high refresh rate mode.

Never noticed the reduced EV compensation range, but I've also never used high refresh rate mode in low light. Also haven't noticed a difference in battery life, but I haven't tested that either. I feel like if I'm using high refresh rate, my battery is going to go down more quickly anyway as I mainly use it for scenarios where I constantly have to be following action and need to do many bursts.

• Like Like x 1