Is it worth to upgrade from Olympus Om-D M10?

MartinP

Mu-43 Rookie
Does it make sense to upgrade from Olympus OM-D M10 to the latest generation?
I might use an electronic shutter but is it true that it cannot be used in aperture mode?
Can an electronic shutter be used in aperture or manual mode on Olympus OM-D M5 III?
I am using Oly 25/1.8 + Oly 45/1.8.
The camera is used for family shooting and travel, most of the time in aperture or manual mode.
Weather sealing is not important.

What about Panasonic? Does it make sense to switch there and use Oly lenses?

Any ideas are welcomed.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Other than the electronic shutter, what else are you hoping to gain from an upgrade?

The main advantages of the E-M10 mkIV are the improved sensor (20MP, lower noise) and processor, 5-axis IBIS instead of 3-axis, USB charging, improved C-AF and a selfie tilt screen. I haven't the need for those enough to upgrade myself.

From the mkIV manual:

The electronic shutter can be used in single-frame mode and self-timer modes and for frame rates as high as about 15 fps in sequential shooting modes. This setting is only available in P/A/S/M/ART modes. The flash sync speed is 1/20 s.

It makes sense to upgrade if there is a need that your current photographic equipment does not (adequately) fill.
I just tested again to confirm: On the latest camera of the E-M10 generation, which is the Mark IV model, electronic shutter can be used on P, A, S and M modes.
The same is true for the E-M5 Mark iii, which is the slightly more capable compact model of the current generation.
If weather sealing, special autofocus capabilities, fully articulating screen, more buttons and custom buttons assignments, high resolution mode aren't something that you're going to miss, you would be fine with the E-M10 series.

The main advantages of the E-M10 mkIV are the improved sensor (20MP, lower noise) and processor, 5-axis IBIS instead of 3-axis, USB charging, improved C-AF and a selfie tilt screen. I haven't the need for those enough to upgrade myself.
Don't forget the EVF, itself a pretty substantial update.
But if you don't need the full 20MP of resolution or USB charging, a used E-M10 Mark ii would suit just fine at less than half the cost of the newer Mark IV, and have more customization options.

On topic, there is quite a recent discussion on a similar upgrade to a newer model over here, which lists a lot of the pros and cons of the different Olympus bodies available.
https://www.mu-43.com/threads/original-omd-em5-buy-new-glass-or-body-or.112187/

Summary: If you are looking to expand your photographic possibilities, don't overspend on the camera and invest in glass instead. Unless you are content with the lenses you already have.

Does it make sense to switch to Panasonic? I don't know, were you happy with your Olympus camera?

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Is the EM10 causing a problem?
IOW, is it stopping you from doing something?

Example. For all of my casual stuff, the EM1-mk1 does just fine, and I still use it.
But . . . for sports, it has a few MAJOR issues (the EVF and autofocus), which pushed me to get the mk2.

BTW, I use the EM10-mk2 as my small camera kit. I like it.

I upgraded to an E-M1.2 and what I like the most is something unexpected: the camera is way, way faster. Everything from browsing pictures to scrolling through menu items is really quick. Using my old E-M10 feels much slower now. I had the same feeling when I used my friend's GX80 and that camera was also way faster than mine (maybe I had a lemon?).

Thus, I have a feeling that doing even an incremental upgrade (E-M10.2) might give you a few benefits that help you enjoy your photography better. For instance, I really enjoy the electronic shutter and the slightly larger OVF.

Edit: a big implication of the speed is that on my EM1.2 I can comfortably use focus peaking, the frame rate is identical whether it's turned on or off. On my E-M10, the frame rate drops a lot and it's not so nice to focus. Same goes with using art filters.

Last edited:

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
Upgrades can be something of a conundrum. If you can lay your hands on the funds, the hard part is knowing when to stop.

My MFT journey started by accident, when after zero research, I bought an Olympus Pen EPL of some sort, quickly followed by an EM10 mark 1 kit with a standard and telephoto zoom.

I upgraded form an EM10.1 to and EM5.1 - main benefit was that I didn't have to keep taking the quick release plate off the camera to get the SD card out when doing my ebay pictures.

I then upgraded from the EM5.1 to the EM1.1 and got......better ergonomics.

Next came the EM1.2 which was a major upgrade over the version 1. Faster in every way with an incremental gain in image quality and the bonus of an extra card slot, pro capture and high resolution modes.

The EM10.1 to EM1 Mk2 is a significant upgrade. I've bought a second one (the freebie was too good to pass on) and with diminishing returns, the next generation needs to be very special indeed for me to consider upgrading again.

That's the thing with digital. Manufacturers keep releasing newer bodies with very small increases in image quality. The EM1 mark 2 has two major things going for it. Firstly, it's the finished article, and secondly they are relatively cheap.

There will always be a market for 'newer and better' because there are lots of people out there who derive great pleasure in owning the 'newest and best'. We live in a time where our tech is routinely replaced on a regular basis. Phone out of contract?....time to buy a new one that you absolutely do not need.

The best decision I've made in the last 18 months was to break the upgrade cycle and not buy the EM1 MK3 (even though I really would like that joystick) and to invest some money on online courses in lighting and post processing instead.

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Upgrades can be something of a conundrum. If you can lay your hands on the funds, the hard part is knowing when to stop.

My MFT journey started by accident, when after zero research, I bought an Olympus Pen EPL of some sort, quickly followed by an EM10 mark 1 kit with a standard and telephoto zoom.

I upgraded form an EM10.1 to and EM5.1 - main benefit was that I didn't have to keep taking the quick release plate off the camera to get the SD card out when doing my ebay pictures.

I then upgraded from the EM5.1 to the EM1.1 and got......better ergonomics.

Next came the EM1.2 which was a major upgrade over the version 1. Faster in every way with an incremental gain in image quality and the bonus of an extra card slot, pro capture and high resolution modes.

The EM10.1 to EM1 Mk2 is a significant upgrade. I've bought a second one (the freebie was too good to pass on) and with diminishing returns, the next generation needs to be very special indeed for me to consider upgrading again.

That's the thing with digital. Manufacturers keep releasing newer bodies with very small increases in image quality. The EM1 mark 2 has two major things going for it. Firstly, it's the finished article, and secondly they are relatively cheap.

There will always be a market for 'newer and better' because there are lots of people out there who derive great pleasure in owning the 'newest and best'. We live in a time where our tech is routinely replaced on a regular basis. Phone out of contract?....time to buy a new one that you absolutely do not need.

The best decision I've made in the last 18 months was to break the upgrade cycle and not buy the EM1 MK3 (even though I really would like that joystick) and to invest some money on online courses in lighting and post processing instead.
They gotcha, Richard!

On the other hand, I went (in order):

Nikon Coolpix E5000 (s/h), Olympus E-510, E-1 (s/h), E-30, E-M1 MkI, E-M1 MkII and E-PM2 (s/h).

No gas here ... :rofl: .

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And here I was over the weekend pricing the E-M10.1 to have a small carry around camera setup (the car and work backpack camera). I got my hands on the Panny GF1 + 20mm lens to play around with and have enjoyed the compact size, but it really really really has reinforced my hatred of no EVF. And the Panny add on EVF used price is more than the camera is worth. Hence looking to pick up an E-M10 since one can be had for not too much more than the Panny EVF alone.

Anyone want to trade their E-M10 (any generation) for the GF1+20 f1.7 kit?

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer
I just (like 5 minutes ago) picked up a e-m5.2 from ebay to upgrade my e-m10.1. Great camera and it was my gateway into m43. If all goes well, the e-m10 will be up for sale here soon along with a couple of lenses.

My first camera purchase since November 2019. It's almost like I don't know who I am any more.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom