1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it worth owning a 3rd body?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by harry_s, Sep 12, 2011.

1. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    I appreciate that having two bodies is quite common and also very useful (my 100-300 lives on my G3, my 20mm 1.7 lives on my E-PL2), but does anyone own a third M4/3 body?

GF1s are nice and cheap here in the UK second-hand (about £150), it wouldn't take much room up in my kitbag when travelling and it would mean I could bolt on one of my forthcoming lens (Samyang 7.5 Fisheye or Olympus 45mm 1.8) and have that immediately to hand.

Seems like a good idea to me as I've found no matter how careful I am it's quite difficult to keep dust of these sensors (3 years with a D90 and constant lens changes and I never picked up anything), but practically speaking I wondered if it makes sense or is just a waste of money..?

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    You have to take into account the fact that all these bodies use different batteries. When traveling you will have to carry 3 sets of spare batteries, 3 different chargers etc. IMO this is not very practical.

Right now I'm considering getting G3 in addition to my G2 and the battery compatibility issue drives me mad. I think Olympus is much smarter than Panasonic because all cameras in the PEN range use compatible batteries. If you want to add a third body, I think Olympus will be a better option since you have to carry Olympus charger anyway ;)

3. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Only you can answer this question.

If it's important and not costly and you can afford it: why not?

4. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I think it would be more trouble than it's worth..negating any space and size savings of the system and having to juggle another set of batteries. I travel with 2 bodies and I find that at the limit of what is reasonable/sane. YMMV.

5. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Depends on what you need and how quikly you need it. Threee bodies with three different len attached: wow! If carrying is not a problem I think people would think you're a real pro...or real insane.:rofl:

But much fun for you.:biggrin:

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I am guilty of having three because these camera companies won't give me what I want in one body! Originally owned the gf1. Added a G1 used because I love the tilt screen and the bigger grip makes larger lenses easier to handle. Then I bought the E-P1 because it is beautiful and really the one that got me into m4/3 in the first place (the in-body stablization is also a plus for old glass).

If it doesn't dent your wallet, go for it. That body is pretty well done depreciating....at least for the next couple years.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes. I can see a situation where I'd have the 14-140 on the GH2, the 100-300 on the GH1, and the 20 on the GF2. But that would make this even worse:

5890383769_f4fa48c0f1_z.
    Need to simplify by john m flores, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  8. harry_s

harry_s Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2011
    Wiltshire, UK
    Ahh, see this is exactly why it's worth asking these questions, I didn't even think of the battery issue! That's pretty much killed that idea for me.

On balance it's probably overkill anyway, I will save my pennies and put it towards something more useful.

9. Shield

Shield Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2011
    Worthington Ohio
    I have two Gh2's and a GF2. The wife shoots pictures and uses the 14mm pancake and the 14-45 for zooming. I use the other two bodies for photos/video. But it's kind of a hassle until you get into a situation where you either want a fixed video camera and a 2nd one you can walk around with and get different shots or you want to be able to instantly shoot with two different lenses on.
    I would prefer just cloning myself, but I don't take that great of photos anyway!

10. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    An ep1 could meet your budget and use the same battery of the epl2! plus ibis for that 45mm lens!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

11. It's a slippery slope. Even if you decide after a while it's not worth it you have to choose which one to sell. Owning three maybe, but I couldn't see carrying more than two on me at a time. If I ever did the third body would be something different entirely i.e. DSLR

12. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    This an easy fix. Get one of these.

Hahnel Innovative Accessories

I've got one and it is fantastic. Charges every camera battery I own, AA's, has a USB port and works from AC or DC power.

Gordon

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    There are many situations where I find it really convenient to carry two - I can't imagine a situation where I'd want to carry three. So I'd have no use for a third, but if you can see a use for it and feel the need/want, go crazy. There are no rules about this!

-Ray

14. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    VERY interesting. Thx!

15. kundalini

kundalini Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2011
    After getting the EP3, I'm back up to 4 bodies. :eek:

I've still got my Canon film camera, rarely use it, but I still have it. After getting the Nikon D300 & D700, I gave my youngest son the D80. As I have only one DX lens left, I'm pondering over the idea that the D300 is now superfluous. If I sold it, I could get more lenses for the :43:. Did I mention that I have a G.A.S. problem?

16. pharaviel

pharaviel Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 20, 2011
    Reggio Emilia, Italy
    Daniele Frizzi
    Where I work I sold a lot of this hahnel chargers. As a general it and home electronics store stocking original chargers would be overkill...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I think 4 bodies is ideal. One with a wide angle lens (maybe a Full Frame or Medium Format), one with a standard fast lens, one with a super-telephoto lens (definitely Four-Thirds for this), and one with a macro lens (also Four-Thirds for this).

Why don't they just make purpose-specific fixed lens cameras? :biggrin:

(Yes, I'm saying this tongue-in-cheek.)

Serious? I have never had dust in any Olympus digital body (Panasonic also uses the same SSWF dust reduction system), but with any Canon or Nikon the sensor needs to be cleaned on a regular basis. I'm really quite shocked by what you just said... :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  18. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    This is also my experience. I had many cameras over years and never had dust problems with Olympus or Panasonic, while on other cameras dust spots seem to appear out of nowhere.

19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Any serious scientific test also backs our experience. The first magazine to test all brands of "Dust Reduction" showed the Olympus/Panasonic system to be about 50% (of course we can't expect 100% efficiency), while the best of all the other brands was no more than 5% effective, and the rest being 0% effective! I don't know if the other brands have gotten any better by now, but at least at that time Olympus and Panasonic had the only "working" dust reduction system (ie, not just a marketing claim).

This is from the wiki article on "Dust Reduction System":
    (PS, I don't know where the Wiki article gets the "Nikon perhaps a close second" statement, as the magazines they refer to show Canon to be the next runner up to Olympus, and the Canon only scored 5% compared with Olympus' 50% effectiveness and the other competitor's 0%. That's not a close second in my eyes, lol.)

Here's the link to the Pixinfo test:
    Review: Dust removal systems / sensor cleaning - Pixinfo.com

These were their results:
    They're the only ones that gave a numerical rating, and they gave Olympus a 50%, Canon 5%, and Pentax and Sony both got 0% effectiveness.

Camera Labs didn't really test the Olympus SSWF because they couldn't turn it off. :rolleyes: However, they stated this:
    Chasseur d'Images said this about their test (link is dead now):
    This is the Google translation:
    In other words, only Olympus worked, the rest were completely ineffective. :rofl:

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    I believe that up to date Oly's and Pana's system is the most effective.