Is it worth it to upgrade from the E-P5 to E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Zancrow, Dec 24, 2016.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    thanks for the pics. I can imagine it feels good, still it looks too beefy for my taste.

• Like Like x 1
  2. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Thanks for the great pics! I have large hands and I might have to try this. It does look a little odd at first but then I think "Hey, I could handhold my 40-150mm PRO zoom on the E-P5".

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    thanks for posting this! I might order one, as I do not like the other metal one posted here. I have one of those and it's not for me. Shutter button is hard to reach as everyone has said. I don't like the 'cold' sharp feel of the metal. Bit slippery and clunky too.

So hopefully this will be perfect till something new comes along that tempts me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I've just received mine in the post and I think this (first impression) will be the best I've tried. I've got it attached and am trying it out before I commit. So far it's a winner.
    PS, they also included an extra pair of dual stick adhesive pads so that you can remove and reattach if you need to. $20 (US) is a great deal.
    PSS, I get no kick back on the sales of this. :cloud-9-039:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Nice, glad you like it. Might have to give that grip a try too.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    add some pics here if you have some time left.

7. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Here's a quick and dirty pic. Notice the grip has not been attached with double sided adhesive so it's not as flush with the camera grip as it will be after attached. Also note that the edge of the grip is on the edge of the camera's existing grip not the actual camera body.
    32150980631_9df112f61d_z. P1120186 by Bobby Flippo, on Flickr
    With adhesive strips exposed and attached it looks like it will be a perfect fit. I will update if this is not so after attaching permanently (grip can be removed and reattached with provided extra double stick adhesive tapes).
    Bobby

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    thanks bobby, it actually looks great. i must get that thing...

ot. my ep5 has got some probs woth the ev wheel... It works on and off... i read its a known problem.
    I feel its get better if I squezze the wheel harder

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. zensu

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    Fingers crossed, I guess I'm very lucky. I've got two E-P5's and no problems with anything on either body. :hide:

10. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    Mine is the same, going in for warranty this month as soon as I get my second body. Really like the E-P5 apart from the niggles.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. Johnny The Greek

Johnny The Greek Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2015
    I went from E-PM2 to an E-M10 to finally an E-M1. I found the incremental increase in weight not a problem with each upgrade, however I got addicted to using the EVF in terms of composing shots, so I couldn't go back to the PEN series.

The VF-1,2,3,4 are all compromises. It's one more accessory to lose IMO.

I absolutely loved my E-M10 but was getting into weathersealed lenses so I kind of forced my own hand. But I do enjoy using the E-M1.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    As a long time user of the em1, I found the combination of it and the RRS BOEM1 to be perfect. What's nice is that the plate has mounting notches in it...so no worries about lugs falling off.

• Like Like x 1