Is it worth it to upgrade from the E-P5 to E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Zancrow, Dec 24, 2016.

1. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Agree 100% on the twisty screen bit, Stephen, which is why I'm keeping my beloved E-PL7. For what it's worth, the E-PL8 and the E-M10 Mk II both retain the tilting screen from previous generations.

I want to add a second body myself in Feb. or March and I'm really torn about which one. GX8, G85, EM5 Mk II, and the E-M1 Mk I are all strong contenders. No question the E-M1 seems to be the best value for the money. I could care less about video myself, so those features aren't high on my list.

As to the Panasonics, it seems like the GX8 gets a bad rap and I'm hoping you can shed some light there. While I don't like the twisty screen, for my own purposes the tilting EVF fills a unique niche and adds 4 megapixels to the equation, a good sized grip, and easier body to handle. The GX85 doesn't have the higher resolution sensor, weather sealing, and the EVF is fixed; it's a non-contender for me on account of no weather sealing. The G85 is another story, and I'm wondering if it's really the better camera with the lower resolution sensor? If video isn't part of the equation, is the G85 still better for stills over the GX8?

2. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    True, forgot about that part, don't shoot with a lot of flash but it's a nice feature to have when needed since i prefer viewfinder over screen.

3. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    That built in flash on the E-P5 works remote flashes (FL36R, FL600) just fine and I love having an optional EVF that tilts too! The nicest thing about that VF-4 is that it can be removed when not needed (indoors or any darker ambient lighting situation) and the LCD is crystal clear. I also use an E-M1 MkI for any weather challenged environment like pouring rain although as I get older I stand out in the rain a whole lot less.
    PS, both cameras interchange parts is a plus!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. TaoStory

TaoStory Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

May 12, 2014
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Tom Remisoski
    It works well with my Nissin i40 and Oly FL 300R. I leave the VF4 on the hot shoe of my E-P5 and I really like the hinge swivel. It makes it a bit easier for me to get shots from lower angles. Also, people seem a bit less shy if you don't appear to be staring directly at them when shooting their photo. At least that's how it has seemed to me. :)

I really like the E-P5 even though it's starting to get "old" technically. I'm still able to get photos that I like and I'm proud to share. I probably will pick up an E-M5 II or E-M1 II soon but mostly for the weather sealing. I get really nervous outdoors with the E-P5 even in a light drizzle.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I've still got my EP5 & I have 2 Gx8's. The EP5 has been my trip camera since I got it as a refurb from Olympus almost 4 years ago, probably close to 10K of images on it. I plan on using it till it dies. Gx8 are a step up and are a workhorse camera - not as pretty buy an advanced imaging machine (see the posts in "exploring the Gx8" in the Pany forum - fine images and folks that really use this camera love it). This year when I travel it will be with the EP5, 9-18, and 75-300 II (plus canon 500D closeup lens) all in a very small case. If I were going to be doing a lot of video I'd take the Gx8/12-35/PL100-400 - but that is a fairly large kit for a vacation trip with friends. I've also found that turning off IBIS gives you better video when you are using the EP5 (I try never to move the EP5 when shooting video, use a mono pod as a hiking sticking and get usable videos.)

• Like Like x 4
  6. Ziji

Ziji Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jul 2, 2010
    New York State
    I am staying with the EP5, I have heard of too many strap eyelets coming loose on the EM1

7. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    I think that's what I will do, keep the E-P5 and find a grip for it. It's a good looking camera after all.

• Like Like x 1
  8. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Im also looking for a grip to Ep5. found this
    http://aki-asahi.com/store/html/E-P5/Grip/EP5Grip.php

But not sure if its too ugly...

I haven't seen any good looking screw on grip though...

9. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
  10. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    @Zancrow@Zancrow - you'll like the grip - very strong, well-made and versatile - comfortable, too.
    I ordered the aki-asahi grip just for grins - it looks nice in black to me.
    And I can still use the bottom and side plates from the ebay aluminum grip if I need them for tripod work.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Glad to hear about the grip. I might give the Ali-asahi grip a try if this one doesn't work out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    post some pics of the grip when ut arrives. my concern of that grip is the beefy Size...

13. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Will do! I hope the grip seems a bit big but I hope it helps with the handling.

14. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Nice! Glad to hear it! :)

16. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    How does it stick on? Fairly firm. I like the look of it but would be worried it was not firm enough or would it damage the original camera if it was removed.

17. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I have the same concerns -
    I'll report back when I get it.
    I figure if I do sell the E-P5 down the line,
    it won't have that much value anyway -
    and the added grip might be a feature, not a bug! :p

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  18. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    @fransglans@fransglans Here are some photos of the grip. Handling has definitely improved with the grip but the shutter button became a little bit more difficult to reach but then again I have medium size hands so it will take some time to get used to it.

Attached Files:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  19. retiredfromlife

May 15, 2016
    Syndey, Australia
    I found reaching for the shutter button a bit hard, but got used to it pretty soon. I use a Peak Designs wrist strap most of the time as well and it sits a bit awkward when using the grip as well, same with the remote shutter release. But you get used to it just like a new camera very soon.

20. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Yeah, I will probably will have to switch to my wrist strap as well.