Is it worth it to upgrade from the E-P5 to E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Zancrow, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Just got my first Pro lens from Olympus, a 12-40mm f2.8. Love the lens but it feels a bit out of balance on my E-P5 and was wondering if its worth it to upgrade to an E-M1?

Aside from the grip, weather sealing and built in viewfinder would the image quality be better? Seems the E-M1 sensor beats the E-P5 on almost everything except for ISO performance on DxoMark.

Thanks

2. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I'm not sure if they have the same sensor but both cameras are from the same generation of 16mpx sensors - so any image quality differences (includung ISO) will likely be negligible.

Now, that's not to say that the EM1 isn't worth getting, but it's a very different camera: bigger, with great ergonomics, capable of shooting almost any scene in any weather, and with every bell and whistle you could want. But if it's a pure image quality (by which I assume you mean resolution and noise) upgrade you want, the EM1 may not satisfy you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I've owned both (and still have the E-M1). I loved the E-P5 except for the lack of a built in viewfinder. Personally, with bigger lenses though I think the E-M1 is a better proposition. It's a great camera and delivers image quality pretty much identical to the E-P5. At current prices the E-M1 is a bargain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla

Ahhh also using EP5 too? Former EP5 user here =D (last week just upgraded to EM5 mark II and 12-40)

By the way, which EM1? Mark I or II

If Mark I, why not consider also EM5 mark II which is newer than EM1 and also offer more better video&hi-rest mode. Plus the screen can do yoga things (flip here and there). Also the price is not so different than EM1 Mark I

If Mark II.....you make the right choice for major improvement. I have been tested EM1 Mark II and the DR is awesome, AF speed super fast, far better video (4K) and the buttons feels great in hand. Also all the focus points is cross type. Nikon, Canon, etc usually using two cross type. Mark II really monster.

Watch when the horses running through the forest. Still focus on the horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zav5nCrxeb8

How the all cross type works.

I like EM1 Mark II but in the end i feel EM5 mark II is what i need for casual, street, competition and job (wedding and sweet 17th) and mostly because of the budget. Buying 1 EM1 Mark II almost the same as buying EM5 Mark II with 12-40mm F2.8 Pro and i can do more saving for other equipments such ND Filter, flash etc.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you. About image quality being around the same I thought so as much but wanted to make sure first.

Thank you. They seem to be selling at a good price right about now and the built-in viewfinder is always a plus.

Thank you. I meant the first E-M1 (E-M1 II is not on the budget right now :p ). I had an E-M5 II before but sold it since I went FF for a while and regretted it, might have to reconsider it as well but i would have to get the optional grip as well.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla

Indeed understandable for the grip. EM1 mark I feel solid in hand :th_salute:

7. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    Do you have the VF-4 viewfinder?
    With the VF-4 and an inexpensive ($25) add-on third-party grip,
    the E-P5 is very close to an E-M1.
    Misses only the PDAF feature,
    but that only works on the E-M1 in very limited circumstances.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Had not thought about honestly, I need to take a look at what is available as far as grips.

9. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    That vertical grip is the one I have for my E-P5, I like it a lot.
    The site I purchased mine from no longer sells them, shame

• Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  12. GBarrington

GBarrington Mu-43 Top Veteran

What does the E-M1 (MK1 or MK2) have that would have prevented you from missing shots, or from getting sub optimal shots, because you are using an E-P5?

I don't know much about the E-P5, the Pen cameras have never interested me. But if you are buying features that you will never use or buying image quality that is irrelevant to how you share/publish your photos, then a purchase doesn't make much sense to me, and I would either buy a new lens or put the money to a nice trip where I could go and take pictures!

OTOH, if you have specific problems that the proposed new body could eliminate, then the purchase does make some sense.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. fader

fader Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 20, 2016
    Brest, France
    Isaac
    Panasonic's GX8 is no slouch, either ... a weather sealed option with a good grip, big tilting EVF, and 20 megapixels ... something to look into for handling bigger lenses.

14. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    I went from a E-PL5 to the E-M5 Mkii, I had the VF4 but find the M5 so much easier to use. Although I kept the PL 5 for when I want a small compact camera.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Looks like a solid grip. Will have to take a look at it and see if i can find a site in the US that ships it still.

Honestly is the built in viewfinder and better grip is what I'm liking about the e-m1, image quality being a bit better would be a plus but being almost the same sensor I'm figuring out I might just add the grip to the e-p5 and keep it.

Never tried a Panasonic camera before, seems like a good alternative too.

16. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    The GX8's screen is not tilting - it's the flippy-twisty kind.
    Some like it - I don't.
    That's why I'm hanging on to my E-P5 and other cameras with flip screens.
    The only new generation camera with a flip screen is the Panasonic GX85.

• Like Like x 2
  17. spdavies

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    If you don't mind the twist screen,
    the best Panasonic for the form factor you are seeking is the G85.
    Excellent grip, excellent built-in central viewfinder.
    Plus weather-sealing, high-end video, and many other goodies.
    Great camera.
    But if you are going to invest in a new camera, an E-M1 is the best bargain right now.
    But, as noted, with an added grip and the VF-4, you are already there.
    I think the E-P5 is going to be remembered as one of the best-designed classic m4/3 bodies.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. rezatravilla

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Not really, because to use VF-4 we need to attach it to the hot shoe. This is really disadvantage when we do studio or outdoor HSS strobist.

But then i agreed EP5 is one of the best-designed. In fact one of the beautiful m43 camera ever made.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That's not what I've read and seen, but I don't own an E-M1.
    The E-M1's big selling points, from my perspective, are handling and focus with older 4/3rds lenses.

20. djtaylor7

djtaylor7 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2013
    David Taylor
    One thing about the VF4 is as it uses the hot shoe, you cannot use any additional flash gun in the hot shoe. With my PL-5 that meant no flash, but with the P-5 you do have the pop up flash, which I assume can be used as a trigger for Olympus RC controlled flashes (not aware of how good the support for RC flash is in the P-5).

• Like Like x 1