1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it worth adapting the 14-54 mm on my E-PM1?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dede, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hey,

I got a question on adapted lenses for my Olympus E-PM1. I would definetly be interested in using the Olympus 14-54 four thirds lens on my camera, however I'm wondering how much superior to the 14-42 kit lens this lens would be? I mean, the 14-54 + adapter is obviously more expensive, but it is faster for sure, has a greater focal length, and I'm guessing it has better IQ too, right? So what do you think, would the 14-54 be way better in terms of IQ even when adapted to micro four thirds? Also, can anyone that uses a lens that size on a camera like the E-PM1 whether it is possible to shoot comfortably with it?

Thanks in advance

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
  3. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Huh, I actually used the search, but neither 14-54mm, nor Olympus 14-54mm gave me any results, that's pretty weird ... Thanks anyways

4. Use google if your search terms involve more than a single word. The forum search software is easily fooled.

e.g.

14-54mm site:mu-43.com

5. Declan

Declan Mu-43 Regular

i think it will be great since almost everything happened in range 28-108 fl, i also looking this zd 14-54 for my PL-1 companion

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I actually did some informal side by side tests of the 14-42 and the 14-54 lenses on a E-1 tripod mounted at 10 ft. subject was a analog wall clock. At long end of zoom (14-54 backed off to match 14-42) the 14-42 (to my eye) showed very slight sharpness advantage. But not a more pleasing look. The extra speed and build quality of 14-54 makes it the leader by far. It's the one I now have.

7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    The 14-54 is not a small lens, and it's easily 3x the weight of the kit. Plus you have the adapter. Handling is a bit awkward - you're supporting the kit by the lens with the left hand and using the right hand only for control.

Note that the first version AFs very slowly (unusably slow in my view). The second version (14-54mk ii) AFs more quickly, but is significantly more expensive.

The IQ is better, but I wouldn't call it 'way' better, in the same way that the 20/1.7 or 45/1.8 is better. The main advantage is the faster aperture at the long end. The 14-54 is decently sharp wide open, whereas the 14-42 needs to be stopped down. That's a difference of 1.5-2 stops.

DH

8. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Alright, thanks for all the replies. I decided to not get the lens now, I'll get prime lenses to start with and maybe a new zoom when there is a fast M4/3 one.

Thanks!

9. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I know you have already made a decision, but I will add my voice here just in case others are interested in this topic. I have a wide range of 4/3 lenses from my DSLRs and I used all of them with my m4/3 bodies via adapter. Olympus makes some GREAT glass. These 4/3 lenses are fabulous ... but the AF slow down combined with the comparatively large size of the lenses makes them a "stopgap" in my opinion.

In my mind the only reason to use a 4/3 lens on a m4/3 body is if there is no m4/3 equivalent of that lens or you already own the 4/3 lens and don't have the cash to buy the m4/3 version.

I love my 4/3 Oly 50mm f/2 lens but as soon as my m4/3 45mm f1.8 lens arrived the 50mm went back on the shelf with the 4/3 bodies. If Olympus made m4/3 equivalents of the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm lenses I would probably never attach my 4/3 lenses to my Pen cameras ever again.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Agreed. Unfortunately, Olympus doesn't believe in non-consumer zooms for m4/3. 3 years out and there's still only 1 m4/3 zoom faster than f/3.5-5.6 - the Panasonic 7-14/4.

In theory Panasonic will make some narrower zooms - 12-35 and 35-100 - by middle of next year. But the lack of range will still be an issue.

DH