Is it true that the Panasonic 12-35/2.8 & 35-100/2.8 don't works as well on a OM-D

kuau

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven Kornreich
I have an OM-D right now with all primes. 12, 25, 45 and 75mm lenses,

i am tempted by the Pana Zooms yet i have been reading people claiming that although. M43 lenses are all compatible that the Pana Zooms in paticular work better on the GH3 then on the OM -D

is this true?

Mu-43 Legend
No, its not true.

What are the natures of the claims you are reading?

scarbrd

Mu-43 Regular
The CA correction only applies to jpg's. If you shoot RAW there is no difference.

I use the 12-35 2.8 on my OMD about 80% of the time.

Mu-43 Legend
Where did you read this? What was said about these lenses on OMD?

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
I have the P35-100 and it is stunning. It is at least equal to if not better than my Canon 70-200 L:

GRAA0989.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 35mm

GRAA0843-XL.jpg

OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 60mm

GRAB0272a.jpg

OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 100mm

GRAB0055.jpg

OM-D w/ P35-100 @ 89mm

Gary

Savas K

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Are the replies any different to the same question posed on DPReview?

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Nope.

Most of my lenses are panasonic - 7-14, 12-35, 100-300, 14, 20 - and all but the 20 (known occasional banding) perform wonderfully on my E-M5. I do shoot RAW, so I really don't care about in-camera lens corrections. DxO Optics Pro or LightRoom does that for me.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
There was a long discussion on FredMiranda about the 12-35mm on the OM-D, seems to mostly bother pixel peepers:

OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35

The Panasonic 7-14mm and OM-D combo can give a nasty purple flare that's very difficult or impossible to correct in post:

Panasonic 7-14mm Flare - Case Study for a solution

Panosonic 7-14 and OM-D - How bad is the purple flare in real world use?

And the 20mm and OM-D combo can cause banding:

The Test of OM-D EM-5 + Panasonic 20 mm banding problem

Olympus Looks at E-M5 Banding with 20mm

-Nate

Mu-43 Legend
Ah! Sources!! Thanks Nate. Interesting read. I wonder if a huelight preset would also help adjust the overall magenta cast this new sensor exhibits.

Mr Hahn

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Nate
Good question, but I don't have an answer. At this time I only use Aperture 3 and can't take advantage of Huelight profiles.

Salt Peanuts

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Haj
The CA correction only applies to jpg's. If you shoot RAW there is no difference.

I use the 12-35 2.8 on my OMD about 80% of the time.

I was under the impression that all the corrections (distortion, vignetting, and CA on Panny; distortion and vignetting on Oly) were applied to RAW files as well? One could see uncorrected RAW files but needed specific RAW converters to do so?

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara
There was a long discussion on FredMiranda about the 12-35mm on the OM-D, seems to mostly bother pixel peepers:

OMD EM5 and bad purple fringing with Pana 12-35

The Panasonic 7-14mm and OM-D combo can give a nasty purple flare that's very difficult or impossible to correct in post:

Panasonic 7-14mm Flare - Case Study for a solution

Panosonic 7-14 and OM-D - How bad is the purple flare in real world use?

And the 20mm and OM-D combo can cause banding:

The Test of OM-D EM-5 + Panasonic 20 mm banding problem

Olympus Looks at E-M5 Banding with 20mm

There's also the issue of rapid aperture blade adjustment on the PL 25/1.4 with some Olympus bodies (aka 'rattlesnaking').

kuau

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Steven Kornreich
Well it seems that the general consensus here is that tha Pana 35-100/2.8 has no issues on the OM-D. Overall how does this lens handle oa OM-D is it well balanced ?

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
The P7-14 is a well documented CA problem. What I can tell is that shooting into a light source will nearly always cause the purple CA to raise it's ugly head. But different combo's of P7-14's with OM-D's will significantly affect the severity of CA. The CA I experience is relatively controllable while TDP's combo is extremely severe. So there seems to be some sort of randomness associated with the severity of the CA. My experience with the P35-70 is the CA is quite minimal when shooting into a light source.

GRAB0569.jpg

OM-D w/P35-100 @ 100mm

This is the about the worse CA I can get shooting directly into a very strong light source.
GRAA0590.jpg

OM-D w/P7-14 @ 8mm

GRAA0394.jpg

OM-D w/P7-14 @ 14mm

Gary

arad85

Mu-43 Veteran
I was under the impression that all the corrections (distortion, vignetting, and CA on Panny; distortion and vignetting on Oly) were applied to RAW files as well? One could see uncorrected RAW files but needed specific RAW converters to do so?
This is kinda correct. The application of the lens profile is done on import to the raw processing software. The parameters that are used are held in the raw image EXIF data. If you use a Panny lens on an Oly body, the CA parameters are not written into the EXIF information. Consequently, the raw convertor cannot make use of it to defringe the image automatically.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
This is kinda correct. The application of the lens profile is done on import to the raw processing software. The parameters that are used are held in the raw image EXIF data. If you use a Panny lens on an Oly body, the CA parameters are not written into the EXIF information. Consequently, the raw convertor cannot make use of it to defringe the image automatically.

Are they? I think all the processor does is determine which lens and focal length (and/or aperture) was used, and apply corrections based on that. I'm just about positive that's how DxO does it with its (superior) lens profile solutions, which also adjust for lens softness in the demozaicing process, pre-sharpening.

Latest threads

Top Bottom