1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

is it too much to ask for a printed manual (E-M5)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Luke, May 14, 2012.

1. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I guess I'm old fashioned, but I feel like after I shell out $1,300 (before I even start to buy all the accessories) that the least they can do is give me a manual. Not the goofy little "quick-start" thing. I'm talking about a full and proper manual so I can sit down and read through it while I learn to get the most of this powerful new tool.

And don't tell me to read the one on the CD-rom. Books are for reading....computers are for time-wasting.

2. py6km

py6km Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2012
    Yeah, I was surprised about that too. There does seem to be a more comprehensive one online, but I'm with you - I prefer to read from paper!

3. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Nope, like so many other companies they are trying to save money, I mean trees....

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I'm sorry....few people love trees more than I do. They're REALLY easy to plant and there's a TON of recycled paper available....especially with the massive decline in printing of books and magazines. Give me a proper manual. Or at the very least, include a voucher for a free manual if think I'm the odd man out.

5. frelwa

frelwa Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 24, 2011
    Toronto
  6. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Is it too much to ask for a printed manual (E-M5)

Yes.

7. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    I don't get it what everybody complaint about? When I purchase the EM-5 + 12-50 kit, it comes with the same printed manual as the link (pdf version) olympus provide. Did Olympus only provide the printed manual for the EM-5 sold in Asia?

But even so the printed manual will not give you all the answer about the settings or how to use EM-5. I think this is what book like EPL-1 for dummies or David Busch Olympus E-5 should do. Let's hope someone will make EM-5 for dummies or something like that.

8. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I go a very basic useless Start-up guide and a CD, UK that is.

9. neilc

neilc New to Mu-43

Apr 6, 2012
    Here in the Philippines, it comes with a printed manual and a CD-Rom.

10. hanzo

hanzo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 22, 2010
    Chan
    I usually dont read the manual..

11. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Ah no wonder the same question about changing basic settings in EM-5 keep appear over and over again in this forum. If only I live close to you guys I will copied and send the manual over, if you willing to pay for copying and postage cost.

12. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    It is nice to have a pocket size manual to slip into the camera bag, I got one with my GF1 and my X100 but only a basic guide with my G3. I'm sure there will be third party books available soon for the E-M5 which are likely to be better laid out than the manufacturers manual.

13. BobW

BobW New to Mu-43

Apr 30, 2012
    My 14-42 OMD kit came with a printed manual. Strange that some do and some don't. I also downloaded the pdf and have it on my ipad and iphone.

Bob W

14. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Heh, I think the reason why I was surprised by the manual was:

1) With the amount of options in the camera- the manual slimmed down
    2) With my E-P2, I got the full manual in box... 4 times in 4 different languages.

Maybe they should have saved some manual paper by sending only 1 manual for the older Pens :wink:

15. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Same. Most of my manuals are still sealed in that little plastic pack. I'm glad they don't waste resources to print manuals.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Or they can simply print out the PDF.

17. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    I prefer the .pdf download of the manual from the Olympus, Panasonic, Canon, etc. websites. Why? Because then I can print a full sized (large font) manual that is much easier to read.

18. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    +1, I also think its a waste of resources. A proper ePub formatted manual would be nice for all companies to adopt along with the PDF, then you'll have good text reflow.

19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you go to Japan, you realize they are really good with resources. They recycle everything. There is very little litter anywhere. While I think most companies do it to save money, after returning from Japan my view on recycling has changed. I'm trying to be a lot better about it.

You will use your manual a lot probably in the first month. After that? Odds are it'll be in the trash. I think it's a waste of resources.

20. bitmatt

bitmatt Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 7, 2012
    Cleveland
    Matt
    Probably most electronics will be shipped this way going forward, not just cameras. Apple hasn't shipped a proper printed manual with anything they have sold in years. Much of this has to do with the cost of such things, but more so to do with the fact that a future firmware update could change many of the features that are so permanently etched on a printed page, rendering it useless. The downloadable PDF version can be routinely updated to reflect any future changes.

I copied my downloaded E-M5 manual over to my phone. It isn't the easiest to read that way on the go, but in a pinch it works pretty well for quick reference.