Is it time to upgrade my EPL2 yet?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Centropolis, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Centropolis

Centropolis New to Mu-43

Sep 20, 2011
    I have taken my epl2 to a number of Europe cities and came back with satisfying pictures. But I am sure the newer MFT bodies have better sensors now. Do you think it's about time to upgrade based solely on sensor improvements? I always think that in technology, you won't know what you are missing until you get a chance to try newer stuff. So I have been avoiding trying out new bodies.
  2. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    I went from an EPL2 to and EM10, and I'm very happy. I would keep a sharp eye out for the next Olympus refurbished sale.
  3. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    I loved my E-P2, but the image files from the E-M5 are noticeably better and the raw has more flexibility. For me, though, the OM-D is a step up mostly for how it handles; I shoot manual and love the dual wheels on top, which the Pens don't have.
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    :smile: A man walks into a bar and asks "do you think it's time for a drink?" YES! :biggrin:
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    If image quality is all you are concerned about, I would not upgrade yet. I went from the E-PL2 to the E-PM2 and then the E-P5. Some of my favorite shots are from the E-PL2. I know that technically the PM2 and P5 have more dynamic range and better high ISO ratings but in real photos, it did not show up as a significant improvement for me.

Get good glass for your E-PL2 and wait for a more significant sensor upgrade.

If you have money to spend and/or need a new body, the E-P5 is probably most like your E-Pl2 in form but the function is much nicer and improved. The E-P5 addresses many of the concerns about speed, and control that one might have with the E-PL2. It is a great upgrade but I would not expect your pictures to be significantly (or even noticeably) better.
  6. physicsdude

physicsdude Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    also went from a EPL2 to EM10.
    I think it was totally worth it. Sometimes I wish I'd taken the EM5 (you can get it pretty cheap in used condition), but doesnt kill the point that I think it's worth. Imagestabilization alone
  7. Cero21

Cero21 New to Mu-43

Jul 7, 2011
    Went from E-PL1 -> E-PM1 -> E-PM2 and have never been happier. Finally with the new 16 MP sensors I feel like I don't have to compromise versus APS-C sensors at high iso (6,400 and lower). Many of the new sensor cameras can be had for cheap nowadays (E-PM2 especially on sale). I'm now eyeing those 5 or 3 axis IBIS and that would seal the deal for me.
  8. emmef2

emmef2 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2012
    I have an E-PL2 and bought an E-P5, the image quality of the 16 megapixel sensor is noticeably better in shadow areas and with images taken in low light situations, this gives a file that accepts post production better than the ones coming from the E-PL2
    The double control dials make the E-P5 a better camera in terms of usage
    With that said, I would consider replacing your E-PL2 if you are satisfied by the lenses you have, otherwise it is maybe better spending your money on lenses and then replace your camera
  9. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    I went from an E-PL3 to an E-M5 for the image stabilization, and I'm loving it. I like the built-in EVF -- I understand the argument that an external EVF is more flexible in that it gives you the option to flip it up, but for now at least I'm happy jamming the E-M5 up against my eye. I wish the E-M5 were smaller, and I don't like the fact that I had to add a grip to make it comfortable in my hand (increasing the size), but there's no such thing as perfection in this world. Even so, it's still smaller than the clunky DSLRs so many people lug around.

I didn't consider the E-M10 for two reasons: (1) I wanted the 5-axis stabilization versus the 3-axis; and (2) I'm cheap, and at the time I bought, the E-M10 was too new to be readily available used.

I've rarely picked up the E-PL3 since getting the E-M5, although I'm keeping it around as a more pocketable alternative. (I do hate the fact that the E-M5 and E-PL3 use different batteries. Curse you, Olympus!)
  10. Transalp01

Transalp01 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Täby, Sweden
    I went from GX1 to E-M10 and the E-M10 is noticeably better! I started with PL1. I don't know how much difference there is between PL1 and PL2 but PL1 and E-M10 are ages apart! Go for the E-M10. You love it!
  11. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    I thought the sensor in the em5/ep5 epl5 and epl2 were identical. Am I wrong?
  12. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    The e-m5/e-pl5 and e-pm2 (not epl2) have the same sensor. The e-pl2 has the original 12mp sensor, which is quite nice, albeit not as good as the newer 16 mp sensors.

For what it's worth, I had an e-pl1 which I loved and while I eventually moved up to a Panasonic G5, I do miss the e-pl1 sometimes. I guess that I'd say I'm with the crowd that says if the expense is comparable, improve your lens collection before changing the camera. That said, in my case, I was able to sell my e-pl1 at a good price and get a cheap G5 that came with a lens I wanted (the 45-150mm zoom), so for a net outlay of $100, I made improvements on both.

• Like Like x 1
  13. jaomul

jaomul Mu-43 Regular

Sep 22, 2013
    Thanks- the lettering is so close I got mixed up
  14. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    I would say yes. But which upgrade?

If you want/use a viewfinder then E-M10. If built in flash (like your E-PL2) then E-P5 or E-M10. Like the form factor of the E-PL2 and don't mind not having the built in flash then get an E-PL7. I think with the E-PL7 Olympus has finally come back to the some of the things that made the E-PL1 & 2 appealing. And that they lost in the E-PL3 - 6.

But I think the sensor is just part of the main reason to upgrade. The IBIS is significantly improved.
  15. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I think the newer 16mp cameras are overall better bodies and you could get a Panasonic G3 very very cheep now and the G5 for not much more. That being said there is something nice about the files from the older 12mp bodies and if it gives you what you want from it maybe its worth hanging on to. I would get the lenses you need before your you buy a new body, but again if you are happy with set up why buy for buyings sake. I am in the position of apart from replacing my 17mm I have all the lenses I need a couple I fancy and they are cheep relatively that a newer better body is a decent idea. The 16mp sensor in the EPL5 and EPM2 is a bit better then the one in the Panasonic G3, overall both are a lot better in most areas than the 12mp sensor. I would not overlook the Panasonic's as well, they make some nice bodies as well, if an EVF is high on your list look at the G6 or GX7 from Panasonic as well as the EM10, if not EP5 and Epl7 maybe an EPL5 f at a good price or the GM1 if you want tiny.