is it the body or the lens that should go in for repair?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by lixolux, May 8, 2011.

1. lixolux

lixolux New to Mu-43

May 6, 2011
    Hi all,

I am hoping to get some input on what to do - I have a Olympus E-PL2 that I use exclusively with the Panasonic 20/1.7.

The situation is that I dropped it. It was in my bag, wrapped in an Op/Tech wrap with an extra wrap folded as padding at the bottom of the bag. I carelessly put the camera back in my bag lens down, so it fell to a concrete floor with the impact on a corner of the lens.

Thankfully, the only visible damage was that the lens collapsed into the filter and cracked the filter.

In the last month since this happened, I have been noticing that this combo is having a hard time with focus that I dont think I remember. Face recognition seems out of whack, and spot focus works but feels like it takes a while to find what I am telling it to focus on. Exposure is still spot on and aok.

I am worried that because the filter screws into the movable part of the lens that the impact actually maybe off kiltered the whole motor mech in the lens.

BUT - I put the Oly 14-42 kit lens on the body (I have only used this lens for maybe the first hour I had this camera, so not sure if this is a good comparison) and the camera was having a horrible time reading a good exposure, underexposing and focusing took forever. Which compared to the Panny, maybe is just how it performs? Its a red flag for the body for me in this case.

Which brings me to my question, and thank you for reading this far!

Should I send the lens to Panasonic or the body to Olympus to be looked at? Which part seems most suspect to you?
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I wonder if this is a similar problem that I seen on my E-P1. I have never dropped the camera, but sometiems after a lens swap, the camera lags and will not AF. Usually if I go to the 40-140 with the 43 adapter, it focuses. Then swap back to the 17 or the 14-42 and still the camera will not AF. It will do manual focus in manual mode, but thats it. Cleaning contacts on both the lens and the camera sometimes fixes the issue, but not always. I'm starting to wonder if the tolerences with the contacts become too much after wear and tear.