1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

IS it stupid to own the EP5 and E-PL5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by harryzgnilek, Jul 19, 2013.

1. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi all

So a few weeks ago I bought the Oly E-PL5 w 14,42 and 45 1.8 (really like it)
    This week I went and bought the E-p5 Kit w 17 1.8 & VF4 (lenses I also have are the Panni 20, 40-150)

Does anyone else have the same cameras and why?
    Is it stupid to own both?
    I figured the EPL5 and panni 20 is so small I can just take it anywhere in my pocket
    Thoughts?

2. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Yes it's stupid, send me your epl5 right now!

• Like Like x 1
  3. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Actually I prob wouldn't of went that route although I have read here of people carrying two omd's . So for a second body at half the price why not.

4. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Why not? Sounds like a good idea to me, if you like them both.

5. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    I figured if I sold the e-pl5 I would only get $375 ish ,so I figured why not just keep it.
    better then lugging around my canon gear

which route would you have gone?

thanks

6. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I am in a similar position. I recently purchased the E-PM2 new and just received my E-P5.

I plan on selling the 2 month old E-PM2 because I don't really need a second body. I have other cameras around for the hopefully rare instances that my E-P5 would be out of commission. I don't see myself carrying two bodies. I don't use cameras for work.

I like the small form factor of the E-PM2 but I have already put it back in the box and don't plan on using it anymore. I am a little disappointed that they changed the battery size. I had several batteries for my E-PM2 that are now of no value to me.

So, do you want to double down and add a third camera to your collection? I have an E-PM2 for sale...:biggrin:

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Welcome to the forum, by the way!

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I carry both an E-P3 and an E-PL3. It gives me the same sensor/processor, allows me to have two primes mounted and I get the tilt screen on the E-PL3. If I need a smaller, pocketable set up I can use the E-PL3 with my 14mm. It was a very cost effective way to carry two cameras. :cool:

9. I couldn't imagine carrying only one camera anymore :smile:

10. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013

thank you

11. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    Yes it is unfortunate that they use different Batteries ...
    But I figured if a new battery would cost me 60$ and instead kept the Epl5.. I wouldn't need a 2nd Battery for the EP5 :)

12. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    If you use both, keep it. If not, sell it. It's convenient having 2 lightweight cameras ready for use. I usually carry the Epl5 with 14mm and Sigma DP2M (30mm) when wandering the city.

13. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    No, it is not stupid. We have an E-PM1 with OM-D and having a small camera like the E-PL5 is a great idea. I carry the E-PM1 a lot, it is easy to keep in a messenger bag, etc., by itself. Our E-PM1 will eventually be replaced but for now I want to see what the forthcoming GX-7 is like.

14. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    What I have is an OMD the older epl1/epm1. I'm not saying that's better at all. I had all 3 cameras before the epl5/ep5 were even announced . I personally like the OMD and would of coupled it with the epl-5 . Or OMD and ep5. For me the OMD is a must only because I happen to feel very comfortable with its design, love the built In evf and weather sealing is a plus especially at that price point.

15. salvatore64

salvatore64 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2013
    Another reason to keep it would be to do what I do. I very rairly leave my house with more then one camera but for in the house I leave all 3 with different lenses mounted. This makes missing a shot less likely due to not having to change a lense. My cameras are like my toys so leaving them like that allows me to enjoy them all.

16. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    Ya ,I kinda do the same thing
    only thing is these toys become expensive!

17. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I wouldn't say it is stupid, but then on the other hand I have E-PM2 and E-P5 with 14-42mm Oly zoom and 17, 45, 75 Oly primes and VF-4. :2thumbs:

18. harryzgnilek

Jul 19, 2013
    Which do you use more or prefer?

19. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    I've been struggling with E-P5 dials but now I believe I have settings right (=suits for me)

I got use to lightness and easiness of PM2 so it made bigger change than I thought to swap to P5. But I'm learning all the time and prefer now P5. BUT when VF-4 added to PM2, it's also excellent combination. It made my life easier though when my wife adopted PM2, so I don't have change to choose, at least not so often. She really likes the PM2, and so we are selling other gear away.

Small difference why I prefer E-P5:
    - faster shutter speed (needed in harsh daylight to get bokeh efect)
    - tilting LCD
    - circle dials (although took time to get use to)
    - E-P5 sturdier than PM2, works better eg. with 75mm/1.8 Oly

But as mentioned above, I'm keeping both. There is place for both even solely in my own use.

20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you're asking this question, then I take it you have not yet discovered the joys of using multiple bodies when shooting. :) Try throwing your 45mm/1.8 on one and your 17mm/1.8 on the other the next time you go out.

Yes. You hit a big one on the head.