Is it still worth buying the GH5??

untico

New to Mu-43
Hi guys,

I was hoping for the GH6 to be annouced yesterday at Panasonic's press conference but nothing :( Should I wait or should I get me a GH5 now that they are selling for a little over 1.2K

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
Does the GH5 do what you would need it to do?

That is really the only question that needs answered.

Waiting for the sake of waiting with consumer tech only keeps you from creating.

Last edited:

Bob T

Mu-43 Veteran
If you wait until the GH6 is announced, the GH5 price should drop more.
That's how I got my GX8 for around $800 new.

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
Why do you want the GH5?
Will you regret not having those functions in the (probably) months it takes the GH6 to come to market.

New models usually launch at the p[rice of the existing model plus some for inflation. The GH5 price has fallen 20-25% since launch so will you want/need to pay that 25% premium for the GH6? On the other hand second hand prices for the GH5 will not drop much on launch of the GH6 so you could buy the GH5 now, sell when then GH6 is launched and look at any loss as a cheap rental.

Only you know if it is worth it.

MarcioK

Mu-43 Regular
And with the launch of the S1H as the new Panasonic's video flagship, I do not expect to see a GH6 in 2019. In fact, probably we will not see the GH6 until a new m43 sensor appears (which is somewhat dependent of Sony).

The GH5 remains one of the best video cameras around, even nowadays.

untico

New to Mu-43
Why do you want the GH5?
Will you regret not having those functions in the (probably) months it takes the GH6 to come to market.

New models usually launch at the p[rice of the existing model plus some for inflation. The GH5 price has fallen 20-25% since launch so will you want/need to pay that 25% premium for the GH6? On the other hand second hand prices for the GH5 will not drop much on launch of the GH6 so you could buy the GH5 now, sell when then GH6 is launched and look at any loss as a cheap rental.

Only you know if it is worth it.
I want to upgrade from a G81/85 I've been using for the past two and a half years. Wanna be able to shoot in 120 and have access to V-Log. I have invested in good glass (8-18, 12-35, 35-100, 42,5, etc.) and I have the need to upgrade my beloved G85. Have been saving up for the GH6 but looking at the Gh5 prices, I feel inclined to buy one now that they are cheaper.

I have been waiting because if I'm going to spend over 1K on a body, it would be best to get the most recent and think about upgrading again in 2/3 years.

Wasabi Bob

Mu-43 All-Pro
Given the life span of previous GH models, I would not expect to see the next version for at least another year. And once that's announced, we will have people saying, should I wait for the "7"? Any improvements in sensor technology are going to be very incremental. If GH5 does what you want, go for it! Enjoy life - it's too short to be stuck in the waiting line!

JonSnih

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi guys,
I was hoping for the GH6 to be annouced yesterday at Panasonic's press conference but nothing :( Should I wait or should I get me a GH5 now that they are selling for a little over 1.2K
Jordan from DPR staff (formerly a CSTV man) is known to be a video guy with high demands on camera video quality, functionality... In the latest Panasonic SH1 first look he mentions that he has used the GH5 for 3 years now. And that is something. I would only add that the GH5 is very capable camera and now represents a really good value. It is better to buy it now and keep shooting video (keep practising) because you can always upgrade to a better model. And you will not be forced to buy it immediately for a high initial price after announcement. Invest in lenses instead.

DPReview TV: Panasonic S1H First Look

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Considering that I find the GH4 is still 'worth' buying, I'd say the GH5 is too, just a matter of how much is it worth in light of an upgrade on the horizon. Personally I hope the (possible in the future) GH6 will bring the price of both the GH5 and GH4 down (the latter still holding a pretty good used price because it's still quite a capable little 4K filmmaking camera). I could see the S1H possibly doing the same since it's aimed at being such a production camera, least for people selling off their GH5 and GH4 in hopes of funding towards it.

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
I want to upgrade from a G81/85 I've been using for the past two and a half years. Wanna be able to shoot in 120 and have access to V-Log. I have invested in good glass (8-18, 12-35, 35-100, 42,5, etc.) and I have the need to upgrade my beloved G85. Have been saving up for the GH6 but looking at the Gh5 prices, I feel inclined to buy one now that they are cheaper.

I have been waiting because if I'm going to spend over 1K on a body, it would be best to get the most recent and think about upgrading again in 2/3 years.

Thank you for the explanation. Have you any thoughts on what the GH5 cannot do for you that may appear in the GH6 - if not then does it matter? If 'yes' what happens if you wait 1 year then find the GH6 disappoints?
If you really want (need?) access to V-Log I would say get the GH5 now and enjoy using it. I think the days are gone that 'the next model up' has significant advances.

But 'worth' is a very subjective thing...

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
And with the launch of the S1H as the new Panasonic's video flagship, I do not expect to see a GH6 in 2019. In fact, probably we will not see the GH6 until a new m43 sensor appears (which is somewhat dependent of Sony).

The GH5 remains one of the best video cameras around, even nowadays.
And with the S1H and 24-70mm f/2.8 now announced, it may be even longer before Panasonic decides to do a GH6. Sure, the S1H is in a whole new price range, but I suspect Panasonic marketing feels a GH6 would eat into those sales.

But I can imagine, there might be a few used GH5's and GH5s's on the market shortly.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
And with the S1H and 24-70mm f/2.8 now announced, it may be even longer before Panasonic decides to do a GH6. Sure, the S1H is in a whole new price range, but I suspect Panasonic marketing feels a GH6 would eat into those sales.

But I can imagine, there might be a few used GH5's and GH5s's on the market shortly.

Plus why push for a GH6 if the GH5 is still in demand? They probably don't see much a point in having something in between the 1,500 and 4,000 price range. (And it seems like even in 2019, the now discontinued GH4 is still in demand)

Especially when as you said, it might negatively impact the sale of the S1H if the GH6 is too big a jump from a GH5 which is pretty awesome as it is, and too close to the S1H to warrant saving some money.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Plus why push for a GH6 if the GH5 is still in demand? They probably don't see much a point in having something in between the 1,500 and 4,000 price range. (And it seems like even in 2019, the now discontinued GH4 is still in demand)

It is demand now. Whether it will still be in demand in 6 months remains to be seen. It may be the GH5 moves down from being used by the video pros to the camera used by advanced amateurs and wannabes (presumably displacing the GH4), and all of the serious folk will move on to one of the many other options (Blackmagic, Panasonic L, Nikon Z, etc.).

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
It is demand now. Whether it will still be in demand in 6 months remains to be seen. It may be the GH5 moves down from being used by the video pros to the camera used by advanced amateurs and wannabes (presumably displacing the GH4), and all of the serious folk will move on to one of the many other options (Blackmagic, Panasonic L, Nikon Z, etc.).

The fact that the GH5 can do 10-bit 4:2:2 internally in my opinion would still keep it in demand among more "serious folks", much in the same way that *some* of serious folks adapted a GH4 for by using an external HDMI recorder capable of the 10-bit output until the GH5 came along. Just because the price point dropped doesn't necessarily make it unattractive if the capability/demand is still there. And if for example Blackmagic (in the $3k and up market) is an indication of seriousness, then they wouldn't have touched the GH5 to start with.

Tool Crazy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Why get the GH5 when we can wait for the GH6. When the GH6 comes out, why get that when you can wait for the GH7. When that comes out, why get that when you could wait for the GH8. Actually, you should just wait until the GH10.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Why get the GH5 when we can wait for the GH6. When the GH6 comes out, why get that when you can wait for the GH7. When that comes out, why get that when you could wait for the GH8. Actually, you should just wait until the GH10.

More reasons to buy used (let others be the guinea pig and get a savings on that), and shed the buyer's remorse, because there's always going to be something newer/better eventually.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
Now you get to create!

tenor.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom