Is it possible to use a nikon1 lens on m43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rhaab, Apr 20, 2013.

1. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    I don't get the mount on these lenses, I know its 2.7x crop.
    Does that mean I can't put it on a m43 body?

2. It would vignette badly, like using a crop only DSLR lens on a full frame DSLR. The 1 series has a smaller sensor tham micro 4/3 rds and nikon 1 lenses are only designed to cover that smaller sensor area.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You would have many issues! First is that they are designed for a smaller sensor so they would vignette a little. Second there would be no way to control the focus or aperture{all electronic}. Finally, the registration distance{length between mount and sensor} is shorter which would prevent them from focusing at infinity and possibly even moderate distances{they would be close-up only}.

So to put it simply - NO.

The crop factor has nothing to do with what lenses can be adapted or not{at least not for the mount itself}. The diameter of the mount and the registration are what will allow or not allow lenses to be adapted. That and electronic connections - with the exception of a few adaptors that allow EOS lenses to be fitted no electronic adaptors are available.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I hate it when people ask this question, but... Why would you want to?

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Exactly. M4/3 lenses are far superior.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hadn't seen anybody asking this before.

Nikon makes good glass and from the reviews these are decent lenses, although nothing spectacular. There are far fewer lenses in the Nikon 1 system but I think Nikon thought it out a little better. They are also better priced on the whole.

I would love to have a full focal range power zoom in m4/3 for video! The Nikon 1 system has a lens like this, the 10-100mm. The Nikon 1 system also has a cheap f1.8 normal!

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I understand why - he's trying to increase his crop factor. I know of a few Nikon 1 owners who are bolting it to their big Nikon 400-600 lenses just for the 2.7 crop....And since they're already Nikon DSLR owners, their lenses will autofocus on the "1" System bodies....

8. Well yes but in that case you're putting lenses designed for a larger sensor on a smaller sensor, he's asking about putting lenses designed for a smaller sensor on to a larger sensor... not the same thing at all.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Of course - It's just not going to work..

Then there's the Sigma "Bigma" on a Pentax Q :biggrin: