1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it possible to use a nikon1 lens on m43?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rhaab, Apr 20, 2013.

1. rhaab

rhaab Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 19, 2013
    I don't get the mount on these lenses, I know its 2.7x crop.
    Does that mean I can't put it on a m43 body?

2. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

It would vignette badly, like using a crop only DSLR lens on a full frame DSLR. The 1 series has a smaller sensor tham micro 4/3 rds and nikon 1 lenses are only designed to cover that smaller sensor area.

3. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You would have many issues! First is that they are designed for a smaller sensor so they would vignette a little. Second there would be no way to control the focus or aperture{all electronic}. Finally, the registration distance{length between mount and sensor} is shorter which would prevent them from focusing at infinity and possibly even moderate distances{they would be close-up only}.

So to put it simply - NO.

The crop factor has nothing to do with what lenses can be adapted or not{at least not for the mount itself}. The diameter of the mount and the registration are what will allow or not allow lenses to be adapted. That and electronic connections - with the exception of a few adaptors that allow EOS lenses to be fitted no electronic adaptors are available.

4. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I hate it when people ask this question, but... Why would you want to?

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Exactly. M4/3 lenses are far superior.

6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I hadn't seen anybody asking this before.

Nikon makes good glass and from the reviews these are decent lenses, although nothing spectacular. There are far fewer lenses in the Nikon 1 system but I think Nikon thought it out a little better. They are also better priced on the whole.

I would love to have a full focal range power zoom in m4/3 for video! The Nikon 1 system has a lens like this, the 10-100mm. The Nikon 1 system also has a cheap f1.8 normal!

7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I understand why - he's trying to increase his crop factor. I know of a few Nikon 1 owners who are bolting it to their big Nikon 400-600 lenses just for the 2.7 crop....And since they're already Nikon DSLR owners, their lenses will autofocus on the "1" System bodies....

8. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Well yes but in that case you're putting lenses designed for a larger sensor on a smaller sensor, he's asking about putting lenses designed for a smaller sensor on to a larger sensor... not the same thing at all.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Of course - It's just not going to work..

Then there's the Sigma "Bigma" on a Pentax Q :biggrin: