1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it possible to use a Nikon SB600 with my G2?.

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hillwalkinggirl, Dec 9, 2011.

1. hillwalkinggirl

hillwalkinggirl Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    I have a Nikon SB600 which I use with my D7K, but I'm wondering whether it's possible to use it as a slave with my Panasonic G2. If I raise the pop up flash on my Panasonic would the flash from it trigger my Nikon SB600? Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but I am just learning about off camera flash.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't believe the SB600 has an optical sensor for dumb slave mode. The SB800 and SB900 do. Instead, you can get an optical eye or slave trigger to mount the SB600 on (see image below). I would suggest firing your pop-up at 1/64th power for enough power to trigger the sensor but not enough power to affect the image. Or you can use radio triggers, or PC sync cable.
    3908183883_59d8ef5b26.
    The SB600 might also work in the hotshoe, but don't take my word for it because I haven't tried it myself. Other people say that the Nikon flashes work in the Four-Thirds hotshoes (the optional contacts shouldn't collide)... just make sure you keep it in full manual mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    @Ned - what about the pre-flash?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm not sure tc, as I don't use Panasonic cameras. On my Olympus cameras I just use manual power control (ie, 1/1, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64 power settings) which works for the pop-up flash, and that eliminates any pre-flash. I don't know how to set up a Panny for that.

If the pre-flash is a problem though, then a radio trigger or PC Sync will eliminate that problem if you can't change your settings. The camera will read that there's a flash mounted through the single trigger contact. I just mentioned the optical slave first because the OP asked about using the pop-up as a trigger.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    My sb600 can fire off G3 hotshoe but cannot ttl bl. Sb600 has slave function but not sure if can slave from G3 built in flash.

• Like Like x 1
  6. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm just wondering whether I could use Yonungo RF602's to trigger the SB600, and do you have to buy specific ones for the Panasonic or would they work on the Nikon D7000 as well?

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the Yongnuo will allow you to fire the SB600 off either your G2 or your Nikon D7000. :) Radio trigger is your best solution.

• Like Like x 1
  8. hillwalkinggirl

Feb 9, 2011
    Barbara
    Thank you Ned, that sounds like it might be a good idea. Off to check out Yongnuo.