1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Is it possible to adapt optics from Leitz microscope?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by F1L1P, Feb 29, 2012.

1. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    I found one large microscope. I'm currently waiting to see if they need it or are ready to get rid of it. It's currently collecting dust in a hall.

It is Leitz microscope...at least they told me it's microscope. It is quite large. I was reading something about microscopes and came to conclusion - if the lens of the microscope is T mount, I could adapt Leitz aka Leica Camera AG optics to work on my Panasonic G1?

How does T-mount look like? any experience on adapting T-mount on m43?

2. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Compound microscope or stereoscope? What vintage?

3. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    dude... its a microscope....while the optics are probably wonderful they were never designed to project their image on to a 4/3 sensor.

best bet is if you can convince whoever owns the device to legally pass it on to you for no cost, then sell it on ebay and use the profits to buy lenses that will work with your camera

at the end of the day you can still had a leica

K

4. greyelm

greyelm Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2010
    London
    Malcolm
    I have a Leitz MIKAS adapter (from the 1930s) which is designed for the Leica Thread Mount Cameras. I have attached a LTM to m4/3 adapter on it and have used it on an old binocular microscope. The camera is set on Aperture priority and the microscope is focussed via the LCD. I haven't got any pictures of my set up but here is an image of a MIKAS followed by a photomicrograph taken with a G1.

fineitenandclean_071.

algae.

5. sparkin

sparkin Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2010
    Lexington, KY
    I have attached my EP2 to a pair of Olympus stereo microscopes as well as to a Nikon diaphot inverted binocular microscope. I've used c-mount adapters from Metabones and from Rainbow Imaging, and both work well. For the stereos, the image circle cast by the scopes is similar in size to the m43 detector, so you just get virtually the whole sensor covered with just four small blank bits in the corners. It works very well indeed.

6. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    BTW, there is an RMS adapter for m4/3 and you can directly mount a compound microscope objective without a tube lens. The objective will cover the m4/3 format.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Ok... maybe i am out of my depth here... but at least i got a reaction.. maybe filip needs to do some more secret homework

:)

8. punkman

punkman Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2011
    Europe
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Chances are you will need an RMS adapter, and a bellows, extension tubes may not be long enough. You find these adapters at this link. It's best to have the lens before buying the adapter, as the lens may not have the standard 25mm RMS thread.

Rms adapter | eBay

10. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010

I bought the RMS to m42 cone to mount on a m42 to m4/3 adapter. No need for bellows.

• Like Like x 1
  11. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    haha, relax Kevin I didnt expect to have super cool Leica lens on my G1, just wanted to see if it is possible to mount it on my Pana G1 for curiosity sake. Most of adapted lens arent designed for m43 or digital sensors but lots of people have fun with them.

See what greyelm did with his ;)

Thx for all advices. Will look further into this.

Compound. But it is quite large - industrial/laboratory design. It stands on dedicated table, around 1,5 meters in length, although the "lens" itself is no bigger than usual lenses for cameras.

Will have to look into it. There is little information for Leitz microscopes of that kind on the web.

That's cool :smile:

12. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    You probably will not be able to make use of the microscope objective lenses directly on your camera but many/most microscopes are set up with a camera port with a c-mount or t-mount so if you want to take pictures of things that you normally put under a microscope it should be easy to adapt your m43 camera to whatever mount the microscope has.

Post a photo of the scope or find out the model numbers and that should tell us more about it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    You can directly mount the microscope objective to the camera.

The connection to a compound microscope can be a little more complex than that, you also need to place the sensor at the correct image plane--that is not standard between manufacturers.

14. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Please post a picture.

15. F1L1P

F1L1P Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2010
    Europe
    will try to take a few pictures of it tomorrow

16. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Don't get too excited about resale value. If you do come into possession of the beasty the greatest value will be had by you and your friends and kids actually getting hands on experience using it. Maybe even donate it to a local school (if they have someone that really knows how to use it).

Actually finding a valuable old microscope in good working order that is worth a fair amount of money is an exceptionally rare event.