Is it normal for Panasonic G3 to get hot?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Surreal, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Surreal

Surreal New to Mu-43

May 20, 2014
    Hi, there. I bought the camera used like 7 months ago and i am very happy with it. However it came with not that great third party battery. I recently bought a brand new genuine battery for the G3 at low-ish price cause it was lacking the original packaging. The seller had good feedback and i went for it. The battery life is great and i do think it's really genuine. However i was tweaking the custom modes and the jpeg settings for about an hour non stop and the camera body was hot. Quite like smartphone hot. I took out the battery and it was hot as well. I have been shooting with the camera for longer periods than an hour but i never noticed it warming up or at least it felt like it's because my hands were warm. Anyway when i shoot there is usually times i don't use the camera and it goes to sleep. So the use is not non stop like the tweaking session i spoke of. My question is should i be concerned about something or am i just freaking out over stupid thing?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Does it ever get hot with the third party battery? I've never noticed other models getting hot (GX1, GF3) from just heavy menu/playback use...

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Had mine get warm before when shooting quite a bit, but never hot to the touch. If it still works fine, you should be ok, just try and stop when it gets warm again.

4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Video is usually the culprit for heat, and I believe that it is the GH series that was specifically designed with that in mind. I would keep an eye on it and try to determine what actions might be the culrpit for the heat. My G3 has never been so hot that I noticed, but I do not shoot much video with it.

Good luck,

--Ken

5. Surreal

Surreal New to Mu-43

May 20, 2014
    @agentlossing I never noticed that with the thirds party battery. That was what bothered me. The hottest part of the body was just behind the screen. That's very close to the battery. However might not be because battery itself.

@Cruzan80 Yes, it works fine. I am just puzzled. It's also my first camera so i don't really know what is a problem and what's not.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Maybe a faulty battery... I'd say it's worth trying another one, if this one is indeed faulty you might be able to get your money back.

7. RRRoger

RRRoger Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2014
    Monterey Bay
    I have shot for over two hours with the GH3 and used the menues extensively.
    The camera never got as hot as it would if you just set it in the Sun.

If the third party battery does not make it hot, I would return the new one.
    There have been lots of lithium battery recalls and you may have a bad one.

I got two Wasabi Power batteries and a charger for less than one Panasonic and have been using them for 2 years.
    They work great and actually last longer because they have more mAh.

8. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

This is normal. If a device consumes power, it gives off heat. The GH4's body is an integral part of the heatsink, and yet so many people think that heat is a sign of a problem.

9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have several genuine Panasonic batteries for my GF1, and there's one that will make the camera run hot to the touch. The camera seems to function just fine, but it feels hot - not warm, but hot. If the camera doesn't heat up with other batteries, third party or not, then it's likely that one battery. I don't use the questionable battery anymore.