1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it neccessary to closed one eye when take the picture

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by tongpool, Jun 15, 2011.

1. tongpool

tongpool New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    I have VF-2 with E-PL1 when take the picture do we need to close one eye while the other eye is look through the view finder ?

Please share your experiences.

2. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

I was taught exact opposite, that I should keep my eyes open to keep track of things which are happening outside of the frame. It needs some practice to do so though. In reality, I'm doing both, depends on situation.

3. aznmochamike

aznmochamike Mu-43 Regular

Jan 4, 2011
    California
    i tend to open my mouth for some reason too... in addition to closing one eye

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You can keep track of the scene subconsciously through taste and the subtle changes in wind pressure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. tongpool

tongpool New to Mu-43

Jun 3, 2011
    Yeah John, I try practiced to open both eyes too but I am just wondering if someone did the same as mine :biggrin::biggrin:

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Just don't close the wrong eye - it all goes dark!

Experiment with both methods so that you find the one that suits you best - there is no definitive answer.

7. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    Closing one eye can lead to tension in your body, which can lead to camera shake.
    Another pastime of mine is archery, I get MUCH better scores with both eyes open.( due I believe to less tension)

8. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Lets not forget the right way of breathing!! :smile:

9. Covey22

Covey22 Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2011
    New England, USA
    I'm a both-eyes open shooter here. Very useful!

10. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Sheffield
    Howard
    True, that's all part of the good technique.
    For those that don't know, steady controlled breathing can reduce tension.
    Try holding your breath, immediately your body is under tension (because breathing is a subconscious thing normally and your body would sooner you continue for obvious reasons).
    Hold your breath too long and you will fall over, not good for a steady shot, although once your on the ground that should improve, once you regain consciousness :rofl:

11. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's actually more important to determine which is your dominant eye, and to use that one for the view finder.

Hold your finger up at a comfortable distance and then close one eye, followed by the other. When you close the dominant eye the position of your finger will appear to jump to one side.