Is it me or is it hard to get m 4/3 gear sold... ?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Wolf, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Is it just me or is it really hard to sell micro 4/3 gear on the internet ?

I'm trying to sell some things on both local Belgian sites (GF2, 14mm, 20mm, ...) and other international website (and no, my expected price isn't too high) but there is just very few intrest.
    You'd think that people would be very intrested in for example the 20mm (less then two months old with box) for 250 euro (nearly 300 usd)

Even sony nex stuff (not a really big format I think ... ?) has a lot more people intrested - i noticed when selling my nex 3.

And Canon / Nikon gear will of course sell alot better due to the fact that more ppl use it, that makes sense.

But the whole point of this thread is, does this mean that few ppl are using the m 4/3 system ?
    Besides maybe in Japan, but those won't see my auctions ;)

2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Here in Canada it sells super quick if your asking a fair price.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

3. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

Have to say in the states I was shopping for used but kept losing the auctions that I just broke down and bought new. Only thing I can attribute it to would be location and timing maybe. Good luck though.

4. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Coming from an international buyer...that particular lens at 250eur would translate to $325 Canadian...add shipping, paypal fee, and potential import duties/taxes, along with the stress of buying a used lens from another country, and it doesn't beat the $430 retail price locally.

I imagine someone buying within the country would have a greater advantage, which I imagine is your preferred buyer as well. Can't really comment on the Belgian marketplace, but I have a feeling it doesn't compare to the huge North American used market.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    I think with the USD being quite low valued at the moment, plus the US market generally buying new goods at cheaper prices, it is tough for you to even compete with sellers in north america, who can ship internationally for just as cheap if not cheaper. Coupled with a relatively small market it seems to make the European selling a more difficult prospect. I've never had a problem selling my m4/3 gear in more than a day or two with reasonably competitive prices.

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Same experience here. A couple hundred miles north of you. ;)

7. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi, wolf,

have you considered adding them in the "classifieds" here ?

C U
    Rafael

8. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Prices vary extremely widely, from retailers asking full price, to eBay sellers with refurbished kits complete with warranties for half that price. And then prices are cheaper in the US by a large margin, which can drive international prices down as well, for those willing to deal with borders. Plus, so many different (almost identical) MFT cameras have been pumped out in a short time. For these reasons I think the market currently favours buyers, not sellers.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    On lens pricing:

I just bought a Panasonic 14mm F2.5 Lumix G for £89 and a while back got the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 for €241. Both new or like new. Extreme bargains compared to other camera systems.

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Another factor is that new bodies are rapidly introduced so the "current model" rate is short in comparison to DSLRs....

11. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    One reason why I'll never buy Panasonic again; the Canadian pricing is stupid high compared to what they sell for just south of us in the US. Eg, I paid over $800 after taxes for a blinking GF2 + 14mm kit. The blow out Canadian pricing is still much higher than the US mid-season sale prices. To sell used, you have to lose a huge amount of what you paid for originally for Panasonic gear in Canada. Then there is the Panasonic customer support or lack of it in Canada and the terrible Panasonic jpg processing...... my cousins old Canon G10 had better colours straight out of the camera compared to my GH2.

At least the pricing of Olympus gear is around par with the US pricing or at least that is what it currently looks like. The EPL3 kit was on sale for $570 in Canada around three months ago. That was a pretty good price and was competitive compared to the US pricing back then. The OMD is priced identically to the US announced prices but it is in CAN$. You can sell a Canadian purchased Olympus in the used market and compete with the used prices in the US.

12. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Canon gear is no easier to sell. I keep my gear in excellent condition but I haven't even received an offer on my 40D. Could be the current economy I suppose . . .

13. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately it's a buyers market for all types of digital cameras. Ultimately, very few of them ever break down mechanically. So how many of them can you sell..upgraders and people joining new systems but they almost never exit the market completely.

14. Wolf

Wolf Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2012
    Well I'm actually not referring to selling your gear here, but just in general on local (in my case Belgian) auction sites...

here and in holland, germany, france uk, ... the 20mm is 339 euro is the cheapest (excl shipping) i can find.
    So that's 89 euro less then my price for example (shipping is incl in my price), and the lens is only 2 months olds (less)

In another thread i'm talking about buying a telezoom lens
    but i'm "scared" to pay near 500 euro for the panasonic 100-300 lens because i know if i sell it one day i'll lose a lot on it.
    IF i were to buy for example the canon L 70-200 lens (the white one) which is 570 euro new, i know i'll still get 400 or more euro in two years...

It's a bit sad to see that m4/3 seems to lose value very fast :(

15. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I've not had many issues if I am willing to price it aggressively. My hardest thing to sell was the fisheye adapter from Oly. That took quite a while, until it finally sold on Amazon marketplace. Most things I've sold for m43, though, have been on here and fredmiranda. This is all for North America buy/sell.

16. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Amazon marketplace is quite good, at least the UK site is (I guess because amazon has a lot of traffic). Also you only pay the fees when (if) the item sells, unlike ebay where you pay just to list it. So if it doesn't shift, then remove it and try elsewhere. The downside of course (like ebay) is that you sacrifice around 12% of the total price in fees/commission to amazon. Not sure what the German, French etc versions of amazon are like though.

The cheapest used 20mm f1.7 on amazon uk at the moment for example is £239.99 (equivalent to around 288 Euros).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li..._1_1_olp&qid=1332183487&sr=8-1&condition=used

17. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've never had much problem. Over the last couple of years, I've sold an EPL1, an EP2, a GF1, a GH2, and an EP3 on the used market. On all of them except the EP2 I got within about $100 of what I paid, maybe $150 in one case. The EP2 I took a much bigger loss on but I'd used it heavily and for a lot longer - it was my main camera for over a year and I got my money's worth out of it. On all but the EP2 I've looked at these as reasonable "rental fees" for the period of time I shot with the cameras and always felt it worthwhile. I've also sold a few m43 lenses (20mm, 17mm, 45-200, and 100-300) and I don't think I lost more than about $75 on any of these and I broke even on a couple that went up in price while I had 'em. I've sold most stuff here or on Serious Compacts and some on ebay.

Right now would probably be a tough time to sell an EP3 for anywhere near new prices because the EM-5 is probably pushing a lot of EP3 bodies onto the market and at the same time reducing its relative desirability. If I'd still had an EP3 to sell, I'd have done it once the rumors of the EM5 were really solid, within a week or two of the official introduction. When I'd know what the EM5 was likely to offer (although it turns out we didn't know a whole lot about the sensor yet, but to the good), but before enough potential buyers were aware of it to drive the used price of the EP3 down. I wouldn't be surprised if the EM5 has had a similar, but lesser, effect on the used value of the GH2.

I'm holding onto my EPL3 though, as a second body and will likely only sell it when an EPL4 or similar with the new sensor comes out and even then not until a big trip or something where I'm really gonna want a good second body. So I'll probably take a large loss on the EPL3 but also won't buy whatever comes after at a premium because I likely won't be in a hurry for it. And I will have gotten plenty of value out of the EPL3 by then - hell, I already have.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  18. scottyboy

scottyboy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2011
    mercer county,OHIO
    everyone likes a deal and most will wait to get one.i see alot of people wanting as much or more for used as new,.i paid $500 for an oly 9 - 18 as i thought that was a fair deal used but i wasn't going to pay more.i would like a pany 100 -300 mm but the price is to high for what use it would get.i would do a 45 -200 pany but since i would rather have the 100 -300 i wont pay $200 for a used 200mm when for $40 more i could get it new, for me $200 not a deal.but i wont pay $240 for a new 200mm when i wouild rather have the 300mm.so i will just wait for what to me is a deal on either one. so i think the buyers are there but the deals aren't on used or new.

19. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

The market share for mirrorless cameras varies around the world. In 2011, sales for mirrorless as a percentage of all cameras with interchangeable lenses were:

Japan 42% mirrorless;
    Europe 17%;
    N. America 13%.

So Europe and especially N. America have a lot of catching up to do.

I have recently sold a lot of m4/3 equipment, some on eBay, some on Amazon, some via classified advertising web sites and some on consignment (commission sale). Some of the items have taken many weeks to sell, others were sold very quickly. It depends on the item.

The slowest sellers in lenses are the standard kit zooms, and they fetch the lowest prices. The only exception to this is the Pana 14-45mm which many now realise is a far better performer than it has any right to be. There was a strong demand for the Pana 14-42mm X zoom but that seems to have reduced as more and more people have realised that it is not really a great optic.

The fastest sellers are the more exotic lenses such as the Pana "Leica" 25mm and 45mm, the Oly 9-18mm and 45mm plus the Pana 7-14mm and 14-140mm. There is a strong demand for these lenses and consequently the prices are strong.

Somewhere in between are the Pana 14mm and Oly 17.5mm, the Pana tele zooms and the Oly 14-150mm.

All the camera bodies except the very latest sell for very low prices, and it is particularly difficult to sell used Olympus bodies. I think that is because Olympus has repeatedly changed models (E-P1, 2, 3; E-PL1, 2, 3 and now another range E-PM1) all with basically the same sensor and no significant increase in image quality.

What has not helped is that Olympus continued making bodies at a much higher rate than they were selling them. So there are very large unsold stocks of Olympus m4/3 bodies. In Europe, Olympus has been releasing these on to the market at very low prices and this has further depressed the market for used Olympus bodies.

I expect used Olympus body prices to stay low or even drop further as the euphoria around the launch of the OM-D E-M5 will result in a glut of used E-Px and E-PLx bodies being advertised on on eBay.

20. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

To my mind this is perhaps the most critical aspect of this market. It just changes too fast with new models every few months. Personally I would find it hard to buy used m4/3 gear. Heck, I bought the EP3 just a few months ago with exactly this situation in the forefront of my mind and ALREADY I'm drooling over the EM5. :eek:

If the GH3 tops the EM5 I'll slit my wrists. :tongue: