Is it me??? Olympus E-pl5 issues and hard to use.

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by pcrit, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I am brand new to the forum and followed off an on for a few years. I have tried m 4/3 in the past and had trouble and sold because it was too small and couldn't get used to it. I shoot mainly full frame Nikon but so tired of carrying so much gear. I broke down and bought a new Olympus E-pl5 kit and I love the picture quality and high ISO is amazing!! My only big complaint is it is a little too small for me but I bought the larger grip and that helps. I do want something portable and easy to carry so I can live with it. My biggest complaint is not being able to figure everything out and use it easily, mainly lack of manual controls. For example, something as simple as changing the shutter speed,aperture, or ISO. It seems like so many steps to do something simple. Am I doing something wrong or have others found this to be true? I have shot many different systems and owned close to 30 different cameras in all formats and pick things up easily but this one is killing me. I want to love it but find it so hard based on the controls. Maybe I need to give it more time and practice as I have only shot a few times with it but please tell me it gets easier. I really want to buy an E M1 but can't justify the cost right now.

2. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Honestly, the only Oly cameras I enjoy the controls of are the OM-Ds and the E-P5. I wants my dials.

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    If you configure it properly, I don't think it's difficult at all, one of my favorite m4/3 camera is the E-PM2 and it has even less controls than the E-PL5 and I was able to use it in M mode without problems.

I have to admit though it is different than bigger cameras for sure and I think if you have used an extensive array of cameras already, the controls will definitely be lacking initially. So like you said, give it time and it will probably grow on you or irritate you even more :wink:

Welcome to the forum by the way.

4. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    ive found the same thing with my epl5. if you want the same results, just a little bigger but more direct controls, i suggest either the ep5 or the gx7. they call it 'light' for a reason!

5. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I want my dials too, I am hoping it will grow on me but thinking it will just irritate me more. Thanks for the welcome and maybe it will frustrate me enough to get the E-M1. The only thing stopping me right now is how crazy the price drops on m 4/3 and can't help but think it will be half price in a year and I should hold out. I find myself shooting less with my full frame more and more. I am debated buying a used Panasonic G2 as I like the controls and they are pretty cheap.

Thanks for the welcome :)

6. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    I do want something light and hate a point and shoot so it works for my purpose but I am frustrated not being able to do things that I want. I really want to keep it if possible but use it eventually as my second body and travel setup but have a bigger one (E-M1, ep5, gx7) as my main.

7. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    The more I look into other bodies the E-M1 is my top choice by far but can't justify the cost right now and I think that will price will drop but I bet I will buy one by the end of the month. Selling off a lot of my Nikon that I am not using so we'll see. I really love the sensor in the epl5 just wish it had better controls.

8. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    I had the E-PM2 and went through the steps to make it as easy as possible to change things but I never really got used to it and missed many shots because I was to slow to set things up.

The E-P5 solved that issue for me. If they cost too much right now, wait a little longer, the E-P5, E-M5, etc. will drop in price and you can pick one up for a reasonable value.

I was in the same boat as you. I had the E-Pl1, E-Pl2, E-PM1, and E-PM2. I was never fully comfortable with the camera until I got the E-P5. Now all of my missed shots are my own fault.

9. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Mine is set so that the dial changes shutter speed in S mode and aperture in A mode. ISO takes pushing OK to bring up the super control panel, and a tap of the ISO box to activate it. Then the dial can change ISO. Using the touch screen to place the focus box couldn't be easier.

I think the default setup of the EPL5 requires up/down arrows to change exposure or aperture. If yours is like that, I would change it.

10. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    That would make things much better if I could use the dial to change shutter speed and aperture. Do you know how you did that? I have also enabled the super control panel but haven't used it much yet. If I had an easy way to adjust ISO, shutter, and aperture that would be the basics. It would be nice to select AF-S or AF-C, autofocus points, and a few other things but maybe I just need to figure out the touchscreen. I will look into the ep5 too and think that would be a great option.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    It's not just you. Many people find Olympus cameras highly idiosyncratic. I personally think the E-M1 is their only camera which is really good ergonomically. Even the E-M5 is so-so in that regard and lesser bodies are... well, you described it very well yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  12. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Thanks, debating whether or not to return the epl5 and just buy the E-M1. I do think the epl5 is a great value if you can get used to the controls but that is a big if for some people I would guess.

13. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
  14. pcrit

pcrit Mu-43 Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Thank you so much! How do you like it so far?

15. keszozda

keszozda Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 5, 2014
    I like it a lot so far. It's my first real camera besides some cheap point and shoots so I have a lot to learn before I can use it to its full potential.

I haven't been able to get out of the house with it yet (dark, cold, and snowy here in central New York) so I have just been playing inside with it.

I found that changing the dial wheel to control shutter speed in S mode and aperture in A mode a big help. Also changing the record button to iso helps a lot too.

16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think if you choose a camera E-PL5 sized or smaller you are making a clear choice to value size over ergonomics and ease of use. Nothing wrong with that, but I think it needs to be understood. I don't think it is an Olympus thing; just a size thing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Like Pavel said, its just not for everyone. I cant speak on the EPL5, but I bought a GF3 on clearance, and i couldnt get use to its small size and lack of buttons/ dials. I gave it away as a gift soon after getting it. The current owner loves it however.

18. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    E-P5 = E-PL5 with more dials and configurable buttons. E-M5 adds built in viewfinder. E-M1 adds huge viewfinder, greatly improved ergonomics over E-M5 and ability to use four thirds lenses.

19. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    If you work thru the link that kezozda provided, the info on the dial priority is there. Also you can bring up SCP, touch the focus mode box and quickly spin the dial to pick AF-S or AF-C. The SCP allows you to change exposure modes, single shutter vs burst mode, set up IBIS, and WB.

You only should get bogged down in the menu when you want to program a button, set up antishock, set sleep mode, etc.

The Olympus user intergace is pretty much the same across all of its M43 cameras and I've been poking at it since 2010, and still learning stuff.

20. Darren Bonner

Darren Bonner Mu-43 All-Pro

May 1, 2013
    Poole UK
    I don't shoot video, so what I have done is re-configure the video record button to be my ISO button. You can do this by going into the menu, slelect the gears tab, select button/dial menu and then button function. That will give you the option to change some of the buttons to what you want them to be.