1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it light is it dark

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Triggertrevor, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi all,took my 45-175mm panasonic out for a spin this morning to shoot a local kids football match.

I had to shoot in manual mode as trying to shoot at f5.6 at the long end resulted in the shutter speed being too high.
    Now to get say f5.6 and shutter say at 1/1000 I had to bump the Iso which didn't bother me but I was sat at one of the corner flags with the little sunshine we had over my shoulder.
    Now taking shots upto the halfway line was fine but when you got past and into the other half of the pitch I found the shots were getting darker and darker. ?
    Now to compensate this I had to bump the iso up a little further to lighten the picture.
    But when the ball came back into my half I had to lower the iso because the shots were too bright then. ?

Is this normal for this lens or could it have something to do with the light playing tricks.

Help me out.

Cheers Kev

2. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It sounds like you had your settings at aperture f/3.5, but it was forced to use f/5.6 at the long end. At the short end of your lens, the maximum aperture is f/3.5, but at 175mm it's f/5.6.

3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The 45-175 is only f/4 at the short end...

I think it's probably down to variable lighting, given that you're using full manual with the aperture locked at f/5.6. Why not set the aperture and shutter speed in manual and turn on auto ISO? Or you could just use shutter priority with auto ISO and aperture - f/4 and f/5.6 is not that big a range.

4. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Yeah That's what I've been doing.
    Couldn't get the camera dialled in when using shutter or aperture priority so had to go manual
    F5.6 as I was shooting between 100mm-175mm
    Shutter speed 1/1000
    Iso when the action was close to me me it was as low as 160 but when the action was over the centre line and past I had to ramp it up to 1600 or the shoots came out too dark.

Is this what happens when shooting in not so bright light at f5.6
    I never have this prob with my 35-100 pan but is this because I can shoot at 2.8 with this lens.

Cheers kev

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Sounds like the problem was varying your ISO in relation to the amount of ambient lighting. On one end, you were over-exposing, the other under-exposing. I would have used Shutter priority, and left Auto ISO on. The aperture would default to its lowest f-stop (most amount of light), and you wouldn't have to mess with changing the ISO yourself. Yes, 5.6 is two stops slower than 2.8, so roughly your ISO is quadrupled (each stop doubles ISO). So at 2.8, 1/1000, ISO 400 is the same as 5.6, 1/1000, ISO 1600, exposure-wise.

6. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Cheers for the info i'll be giving it another go on sunday so we'll see what happens.

cheers Kev

7. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Kev,
    This sounds normal to me and especially so at the long end (175mm). I don't have the 45-175, but I do have other long Panny lenses (14-140, 100-300) and other long lenses in general. The light falls off really fast at long focal lengths. Now I assumed that you were talking the long end (175), but the effect won't be so pronounced at the shorter end (45mm). Good luck with it.

8. mizx

mizx Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 7, 2012
    Somerset, UK
    Jon
    That's what I was going to say, I'd be sticking it on shutter priority and setting the ISO cap to something like 800. I've had some good results out of it that way at slighly shorter focal lengths (often base aperture for the fl), I tend to use the step zoom though; I've not often had to chance to shoot sport properly but I'd be thinking somewhere between 45-100, of course it's down to personal preference though.

9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The camera did exactly what you asked of it. If you shoot in manual mode, it's up to you to adjust exposure settings as the light changes. By choosing manual, you've told the camera to leave your settings alone. The AE on these cameras is very capable of adjusting for the kinds of lighting changes you describe, but only if you let it.

When shooting soccer, I generally set the aperture I want, and let the camera choose the shutter speed. I select the ISO that gets the shutter speed in the range of where I want it to be, understanding that it (the shutter speed) will adjust up and down as the light changes.