Is it just me ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by bigal1000, Nov 3, 2013.

1. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Or MFT cameras and lenses getting bigger and heavier by the day ,ie Olympus EM1 + 12-40 2.8 We'll soon be in small SLR territory. (Canon SL1)
  2. yourguitarhero

yourguitarhero Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    They're also getting smaller - GM1 for example?

There is a wider range - now you can pick size and features but keep using the same lenses
    • Like Like x 2
  3. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    If you compare a 24-70mm 2.8 Nikon to the new Oly, it's tiny ^^
  4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Or compared to any Canon APS-C camera plus a 17-40mm f/4L or 17-55/2.8 IS, the E-M1 plus 12-40/2.8 is likewise very small.

I prefer my E-PM2 and small primes, but it's good to have choice!
  5. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    If a camera company expects to sell higher end cameras, to the typical buyer of these cameras (adult males), in Europe and North America (avg height in the USA and about the same in Europe 1.776 m (5 ft 10 in)), the camera and its controls have to be scaled for these people.
  6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm a 5'11" 39 yo male with medium-large hands in North America, and the E-PM2 is nicely scaled for me, especially with the smaller lenses like the 17 and 45mm f/1.8 primes. It's good to have choices available for people with different preferences though. I wouldn't mind having a larger camera body to go with my Oly 75/1.8.
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    You do realize that this is only anecdotal, and statistically irrelevant? If one were to do a study of statistically significant number of advanced amateur/professional photographers of your stature, and find out if they thought the ergonomics of an E-PM2 were good enough to buy, you might be in a very small minority. Even Olympus has stated that they, in part, intended ยต4/3 to attract Asian women who wanted high quality interchangeable lens cameras. There's a reason why companies that sell cars in the US market design the seating and controls to fit the height of the 5th percentile of women to the 95th percentile of men.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Never tried Nikon's, but I do have a Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8 VC that I'm evaluating. It is the definition of a "honking" lens for that FOV range. It balances nicely with a D800, but it's pushing it to try and one-hand (right) it with the D600 (which I try not to do, anyway.) The E-M5/HLD-6/P35-100 (much less the 12-35) is more manageable.
  9. bcaslis

bcaslis Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2011
    Wilsonville, OR, USA
    Brian Caslis
    I don't think the size is anything to due to physical sizes (north america for example) as it does tackling the DSLR market. To be honest, none of the m43 cameras have been very usable to me in terms of controls. This was one reason I sold the E-M5, the controls just drove me crazy. The E-M1 is great for controls, you do need to add size to fit everything. This might make the camera and lenses bigger compared to someone used to m43 non-EVF bodies but now you have a camera and lens lineup that can tackle a mid-range DSLR in performance and capabilities (and in some area exceed it) and the DSLR owner is going to think "wow, this is so small and light".

The m43 market is pretty small compared to DSLRs. Olympus and Panasonic need to attract those buyers if they intend to survive.
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I'm a 5' 8" North American male with inadequacy issues. I for one welcome our larger O-MD overlords.
    • Like Like x 4
  11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Very true. You can pick the body and lens combos that best suit you.

Panasonic probably has the widest ranges. Compare the GH3 with the 12-35 to the new GM1 with the 12-32:,491.397,ha,t

Virtually identical range and sensor performance.
  12. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lens design has to follow the laws of physics! The larger the aperture the larger the lens will be, especially at the extreme wide and tele ends of the focal length spectrum. Zooms are always larger than primes! Overall m4/3 lenses are small and light for their angle of view and ability. There are a couple that are overly large such as the Panasonic 45-200mm.
  13. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    5'10, average build/hands (though in Korea, only L/XL gloves fit me haha), no inadequacy issues, though I'm less than confident in my skills as a painter.

The OM-D E-M5 *SHOULD* be too small for me, but for some reason I really like it. It took me a little while to find the perfect grip (I run the strap between my forefinger and my middle finger), but it feels great, even when I'm shooting with it all day long, for weeks on end!
  14. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Oh yes, and it would seem that M4/3 is getting bigger, but, really, there's just more choice out there! :)
  15. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
  16. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Sorry I guess micro mean't small my mistake. Admin dump this post please.
  17. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Not this question again?

Yes, a GH3 is as big as an SL1. Now compare build quality, features, performance, video capability, weatherproofing, etc., etc. Now compare a Canon that offers similar build quality and performance, like the 7D. And compare the SL1 to an entry level m43, like the GF series, or even the G5/G6.,154,448

I think m43 bodies are pretty small relative to DSLRs with competitive features.