1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it just me?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by f64, Oct 15, 2012.

1. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    Now that I am older, some things just seem to bother me more.
    Is it just me?

Is it just me or does anyone else cringe at the use of "glass" as a substitute for "lens"? I'm sorry, but it just bugs me. What's the point of introducing this slang into the English lexicon? What, exactly, in the context of photography, differentiates the definition of "glass" from "lens"? Is it suppose to be a secret code among "advanced" photographers in the know? Why obfuscate the well-understood word, lens? I understand that language continually changes, but this is one "change" that just doesn't make sense.

Is it just me or is anyone else annoyed by the use of "Panny" as a substitute for "Panasonic". Again, why obfuscate a well-known brand name? Come on, it's only a matter of typing FOUR MORE LETTERS! Ok, maybe it's an affectionate name. I'm sorry, but it just sounds childish.

I know, it bothers me and, therefore, it's my problem. But if I could find a way to end the above assaults on the English language, I would.

Please, feel free to comment on my rant or add your own "Is it just me?" observation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Great word for readers that don't have English as their first language....Why not just use a well understood word?...:wink:

• Like Like x 2
  3. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Dad was a photojournalist in the 1950's. He introduced me to the term "glass" in the 60's as in: 'The Germans make the best glass.' If this is an assault on the English language it has been a long-standing one.

And... the word lens itself when used in this context comprises it's own assault... the word “lens” comes from the Latin name for the lentil we eat - the Lens culinaris. Lenses were named after the lentils because double-convex lenses look like lentils. In that context "glass" is a positively more accurate description...

The definition of a lens dating back to the late 1600's references "glass to regulate light rays."

Glasses as in spectacles or eyeglasses themselves are not "glasses" or "eyeglasses" but rather are lenses. Shall we object to the use of the term glasses then? If I am not mistaken the etymology of this usage hails from the 1660's...

I think this has been around a long time and you are assuming that it is a newer usage. I don' think it is.

Respectfully,

woof!

• Like Like x 9
  4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Panny, Oly (for Olympus), glass. I didn't pick up on the usage of these terms until I started following online forums.

Glass is a term that's been around forever so why reinvent the wheel? Since you brought up the English dictionary, I cringe whenever I hear people use the word facetious. I think to myself "Why don't they just say sarcastic?" Yet I don't correct them because I don't think I have the right or need to.

As for Panny and Oly, I think of them as nicknames borne out of familiarity.

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    :thiagree: This is an online forum where people use acronyms, nicknames, slangs, etc. all the time! Imagine how the threads would sound if everyone is only allowed to use proper English! :eek:

With all due respect, get used to it!

P.S. Having said that, the one thing that makes me cringe is when people call the E-M5 an OM-D, but we rant about that in another thread already!

6. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Yeah, I think it is mostly you. And I don't even think using nicknames for two companies or saying "glass" even remotely constitutes an assault on the English language. Lots of other things do though -- just look around.

Great post! I don't think you were being funny either -- I think the smiley is obfuscating your true intentions...

Two things bother me: Using "Loose" when you mean "Lose" and using text abbreviations when not texting: "Did u get the Oly glass b4 the Panny glass?"
    But they don't bother me enough to start a thread (just to reply to one).

• Like Like x 1
  7. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Maybe we need a µ4/3 forum style book ...

• Like Like x 2
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Oh my. Maybe we can start with the mods editing all new posts per AP style before we develop our own. That should be easy. :biggrin:

9. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    With respect to the original OP, he's just speaking his mind. And I certainly hope he doesn't think we're ganging up on him. Let's just all think of it as group ranting :grouphug: Though it does seem that he is in the minority with his misgivings with the terms "glass" and "Panny".

Shoot, I call the E-M5 an OM-D. My argument is that they're technically synonymous at least until the next OM-D comes out. :wink: I promise to start calling it the E-M5 once they announce the name of the new OM-D unit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Pany Pany Pany Pany

Oly Oly Oly Oly...

GLASS!!!!

:dance4:

(you were kidding, right?!?)

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I never liked the abbreviation "Panny", but it doesn't bother me when people use it. I stick to "Pana", which i think sounds better.

12. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    It's a good thing you don't "correct" them; those words have pretty different meanings. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Well, the sad truth is that the people I want to correct are the ones that misuse the word facetious as 'being sarcastic' when the true meaning of facetious denotes humor and not irony. Oh, and don't get me started on how people misuse the word irony. Alanis Morissette herself got it all wrong in her song 'Ironic'. :p

We live in a world where words are commonly being misused but that the misuse of those terms are becoming increasingly accepted by most.

14. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Ahhh, I misunderstood--sorry. And yes, the loss of precision is a shame; there's beauty in those (sometimes little) distinctions. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    No worries. If anything, it's nice to see someone else who appreciates such distinctions. :)

16. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    Yea, perhaps you are right. But when you are ranting, it's whatever words first come to mind.
    However, I still think obfuscate is exactly the right word. :biggrin:

17. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I have been around cameras for over 50 years, but I only encountered the term "glass" in the last few years in online blogs and forums. I guess it's whatever you are use to. I think the term just doesn't sound right.

18. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    With all due respect, I will never get use to the worst online assaults on proper English. Clearly, it's here to stay and getting worse. Apparently, it's becoming a sub-dialect. So be it.

19. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    I have LOTS of other examples of things that bug me. That was just the first salvo. :eek:

20. f64

f64 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2010
    NO, I am not kidding.