1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it Flickr degrading my posted images.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Dave in Wales, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I fork out loads of £££££ on the best glass.

I shoot RAW.

I convert to JPG, resize and sharpen for posting.

The resized picture looks lovely....it ought to the time I've spent on it.

It's sharp and crisp...correctly exposed...WB is correct..detail in the shadows..no blown highlights etc. etc.

Then it all goes tits-up, I upload it to Flick and they take my beautiful image and kick it around the room for a while before they file it.

WHY DO I BOTHER, may as well just use the OOC JPG.

Posting our pictures on here and other forums, not necessarily photo based, is the only outlet that a lot of snappers have for displaying their work, apart from friends and family that is.

AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG?...........or is there another way.

Is 500px worth considering?

The posted images from my iPhone are as good as those from my E-M1 + top quality glass.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I tend to use dropbox, you can use a public folder and direct link to files in it (including embedding or using exported lightroom galleries).

About halfway down is a link to enable a public folder on your account (if you're using a newer account, old accounts are already enabled).
    https://www.dropbox.com/help/16
    https://www.dropbox.com/enable_public_folder

It's limited to 20gb/day per link/file, so sharing images isn't normally a problem.

3. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    One of the best courses of action is to upload the size that you are going to share, then link to the original from Flickr. They leave the original alone and only muck with the resized versions.
    So, if you want to share at 1024px on the long end, save that locally and then upload to Flickr. Then share out that link.

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Yes, the newest algorithms in Flickr does have a greater effect on image quality than it previously did. Story here. This is only for the resized images, however. It is an effort by Flickr to control storage space. The original that you upload, however, remains full resolution and untouched.

It is a compromise. I understand it, am a little disappointed by it. But will likely keep using Flickr.

5. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Yes, Flickr alters images a bit with their compression and sharpening schemes, but it is what it is. For image sharing purposes on the web, especially when taken into account that it's free, I can't really complain.

If you need accuracy, then use a cloud service like Dropbox. Here are two images, one that was uploaded to my Dropbox account and the other with Flickr. Can you guess which is which without cheating?

P6110003-Edit-2-Edit.

6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Well I only see one photo and I'm guessing it's the Flickr one because it's hard to mess up linking to Flickr.

7. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    Ooops. Fixed.

8. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have not experienced any issues with flickr image quality.

9. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I only ever upload the resized version usually 1024 x 768, should I upload the full sized image then?

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    No, it should not touch the one it lists in the selection box as "original". If it does do a resize and create another 1024 image, that one will probably be listed as "large" in the dropdown. That one DOES get run through the Flickr algorithym and will have some additional sharpening and possibly compression added to it.

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I really like the way Smugmug displays my images. It is not free, however.

12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Not sure, but the second picture seems more sharpened. I assume this is an unwanted effected from flickr?? Personally I think the second picture is better, other seems a little soft.