1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is it crazy to run 2 camera bodies for 3 lenses?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by birdie, Jun 26, 2014.

1. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

I recently sold all my DSLR gear and studio gear after deciding to stop pursing photography as a side business/2nd job and go back to enjoying photography a hobby.

Part of selling all my gear I did a trade with my studio lights and got an E-M1. Now I already had an E-M5 before, and I was going to get rid of it and stick with just one body to go with my currently three lenses (14mm, 25mm, 45mm). But trying to sell the E-M5 I'm not getting any reasonable interest and the only offers I've had have been quite low-ball offers. So I'm thinking that for the low amount it appears to be "worth" (its only worth what someone will pay...) (and after looking what others are listed for and not getting sold at as well) that I'm probably better off keeping it...

I'm just not sure how much I will use a second body now that I'm going back to just a hobby, but what do you think?

I do have a family portrait shoot coming up in a week or two for some friends and I think two bodies will be useful for that but I don't know how often I will be doing that...

2. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    If this was a thread about having 3 camera bodies for 2 lenses, I'd say that's crazy. :wink:

2 camera bodies for 3 lenses is very reasonable. In fact I'm thinking of just running 2 cameras for 2 lenses myself. :smile:

3. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I used to have 3 m43 bodies hanging around my neck, and yes I'm crazy, but you aren't. three lenses and two bodies makes perfect sense, saves you a lot of trouble changing lenses.

4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    It's the only way many wedding photographers and photojournalists work. Once I even saw a wedding shooter couple with a body for each of their lenses lens, business must have been booming for them.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Or, you could consider selling the E-M5 with the lenses (or two of them) and buying a 12-40mm to go with the E-M1.

6. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    Portugal
    Jaime
    It makes sense to me to keep a second body.
    Everytime I decide to go out and shoot with only my 3 prime lenses I put my 2 camera bodies on the bag.
    Is is very handy to have 2 different FL primes on each camera body. This way you avoid frequent lens changes and not miss any photo.

7. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    Give it some time and see if you actually end up using both! - swapping the em5 for a PEN that fits more easily into your pocket might not be bad idea, that way you've got something portable/inconspicuous to complement your EM1.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's cool, it's like having zoom bodies instead of zoom lenses.:biggrin:

9. Markb

Markb Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 9, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Mark
    2 bodies, 2 primes and a tele zoom in my bag. I see no reason not to do this given the size of m4/3 gear unless I'm in a minimalist mood.

10. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

I shot with 2 DSLRs a few times when I did some second shooting for a local wedding photographer and also when I did some journalist work for him as well. But I'm not doing that any more so I don't "need" two bodies now... :)

I like the speed and size of the primes which is part of the reason I bought into M43 at the end of last year :)

I did ponder that idea today maybe swapping the E-M5 for a E-P5 but the E-M5 is already fairly small for what I want anyway :)

11. birdie

birdie Mu-43 Regular

I will need to upgrade to a bit bigger bag to comfortably fit the two bodies plus lenses and accessories (batteries, cards, etc). One huge plus is that both bodies use the same batteries, so I can share them between both :) I'm currently using a Lowepro Event Messenger 100, which is a bit too small to fit both bodies... its great for one body though...

12. sw08023jp

sw08023jp New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    2 bodies 5 lens here. adding one more body soon. always good to have bodies especially if you have primes

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

13. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    2 bodies (e-m5 e-pm2) and too many lenses. Usually go with 17/45 if shooting indoors or winter with jacket pockets.

12-40/35-100 if shooting an event. Both fit easily in the small pocket in compuday 250 backpack.

14. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    Ottawa
    Whenever I travel these days, I bring along two bodies (three if I plan to do any diving as I have a cheap underwater case for my old GF2) and a couple of lenses. I have since also convinced a friend who shoots with Nikon to travel with two bodies. It saves a lot of time between changing lenses and you get shots that you would otherwise miss. Now with that being said, all you really need is one camera with you so it all depends on your preference.

15. Chuck Pike

Chuck Pike Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 3, 2010
    Charlotte, NC.
    Two Bodies and several lens in my kit.

I shoot with the Panasonic G3. In fact, when they were being discontinued, I picked up a second G3, because I had always had matching cameras when I shot sports, events and weddings as a second job. Today, I still like having the second body that matches the first one. I have two different camera bags, one for when I am going to town and don't really plan on shooting, but want to be ready in case I see something of interest. It is the small Think Tank Mirrorless 10 mover and then their largest mirrorless mover the 30. It could hold two bodies, but I most often will go with that bag and carry my 20, 25, and 45 mm lens and one body. On a trip to Savannah, Ga, I took both bags, as I didn't want to have a camera break down and be without a camera. I still own both the 14-45 and 45-200 zooms which I almost never use, but won't sell because they will not bring in anything. I never use the 14-45 because I have primes for that and I use the longer zoom once or twice a year when I might travel by car.
    www.photosbypike.com

16. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I often do the same. EM5 as my primary camera and pocketable combo of the EPM2 w/Pancake or 45mm attached. Barely takes up any extra room in my camera bag.