Is it an AR-35mm? A real streetshooter

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Iconindustries, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I guess you just have to let him take whatever picture he wants......

What would you call it....... a M-35 or AR-35mm

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/4847961645/" title="39162_135567666479125_117868041582421_152897_1292573_n by iconindustries, on Flickr">"720" height="480" alt="39162_135567666479125_117868041582421_152897_1292573_n" /></a>

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I'd call it very risky... don't go street shooting with that thing. :eek:

Nice find :biggrin:

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  3. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    That indeed looks dangerous.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Take it from a Real Streetshooter,
    If it ain't a 45, it ain't a streetshooter....

• Like Like x 1
  5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

It does look dangerous and even if it's not, it's creepy to me. People do the oddest things.

6. I don't imagine this would be a problem in Australia, but here in the US this would be very dangerous for the photographer. You point that thing at someone in the street, and a cop comes by and sees you doing it, I would expect your relatives to be going through your will and estate papers a few days later.

Furthermore, I can't imagine that any judge or jury would side with the bereaved family members if they took the case to court. We have far too many people being shot on the streets by real guns, and I - for a change - would side with the cop if he killed the photographer first and investigated later.

7. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well, the problem really is being seen as a voyeur.
    If there's kids around...your a goner...

8. I hadn't thought of that angle.

I had an experience with that just a few weeks ago. Getting on my bus for the morning commute, I found that it was packed to the gills with kids, mostly in the 10-15 age range. They had thoughtfully left the seats to the older passengers, but were laughing and cavorting in the aisle, completely changing the character of the bus ride.

Without even thinking about it, I whipped out my ยต4/3 and started snapping pictures of the crowd, playing with depth of field to focus on one kid or another. Then I notice on my LCD that one of their minders, maybe in his early 20's, was glaring at me with knives coming out of his eyes.

Shocked and slightly embarrassed, I closed up my camera and put it away, noticing then that a couple of other minders had joined him in their collective stare. Only later did I realize that by reacting as I did I had confirmed--in their minds--my guilt.

arghhhh :(

9. Warren T.

Warren T. Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2010
    San Francisco
    I first saw one of these last weekend at a car racing event. The guy was using one in the exhibits area. It look really odd to me. Okay, no offense to anyone here who uses one, but it looked a little ridiculous in that situation. He was squeezing off rapid-fire frames as if he was stalking and shooting things, and the things he was photographing were inanimate objects (cars and parts of cars). Well, at least he looked like he was enjoying himself which is the whole point anyway :).

10. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Michigan
    :thumbup:

11. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    Many moons ago I remember Zenith camera's having one, think they called it the ' Photosniper' .

Think if usedhere in the UK I think you could count the seconds before being surrouned by an armed responce team, I remember a few years back a member of the public was shot dead, cos he a had a wrapped up table leg in his arms

12. tonys05

tonys05 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 17, 2010
    Philly
    BushHawk - Product Reviews

I think the AR-35 looks even better and is likely more functional. :) and I notice how utterly frightened out of their socks the folks in background appear to be.

tony

13. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    If I do any street photography again it will be my Panasonic G1 or GF1 with my little voigtlander lens, feel alien enough in the city these days without making a show of myself like that.

Barrie

14. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally could see a monopod being far more effective. Three points (left leg, right leg, and monopod). These are all still relying on only the human body for stability.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Don't try and use that setup in Iraq or Afganistan. :eek:

Cheers

Ray

16. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran

It's just....wrong.

17. JoepLX3

JoepLX3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 13, 2010
    Japan
    Yeah, what is the right hand doing and how the hack is he going to touch the release shutter?!?!?!?!

18. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Does big lenses like that always wear socks?

19. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    That's actually a Canon lens disperser.
    You don't wash your feet for a few days. Then when you go to a shoot, you put on the Canon lens disperser.
    The crowd of shooters near you smell the Oder and disperse. I think it sells for $129.00 USD.
    Very effective to get that shot no one else will get.

• Like Like x 1