1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Is IS important to you?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Promit, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Doesn't matter if it's lens based OIS or body based IBIS. I'm just curious how many of you really care about having IS in a camera/lens combo. Back when I was getting my first digital compact, all the sites talked about how you've got to get a camera with real stabilization and not digital stabilizer. That kinda stuck with me, and it's a big draw of the Olympus bodies for me.

I do a lot of handheld low-light shots where I think IS is helpful. But I've almost never shot without it, so maybe it would've made no difference for many/most of those shots? I don't even know. Who cares if there's subject motion anyway? I'm kinda curious how it stacks up for the rest of you.

2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    It was the reason I went with and Oly body as opposed to a Panasonic body, but honestly I think it's a bit overrated, and I've messed up shots forgetting to turn it off when I use my tripod as it is.

3. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The only reason I am debating an oly is because I shoot mostly primes and IS would be nice to have.

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    With zooms, absolutely. With fast primes, not so much. I do think that it's the really great feature of the EM5.

Gordon

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

TO me I would love love to have IS, but the deal breaker was being able to have a view finder and Hot shoe that i could use at the same time , so i Bought a used G1 over a year ago .. I haven't really regretted it .. only when i used lenses at and above 200mm do i wish i had it.
    Now the OMD seams to fit the bill of everything i need and want.. but i cannot afford it. Maybe someday i will be able to.

6. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Doesn't matter as much in a APSC DSLR but would like it in a smaller format camera because, small formats tend to have worse noise, i tend to take smaller format cameras where its darker, smaller format cameras are less stable than heavier cameras, heavier cameras, I'm willing to travel with a tripod or a flash.

Stuff I take with the smaller format camera doesn't move that much, so subject blur isn't a big issue.

Had much success with the 20 1.7 and Oly IBIS, It would be hard to switch to a Panasonic or Nex unless it had 2 stops of better high iso.

7. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    By digital stabilizer did they mean a software algorithm that deblurs an image? Are there any MILC with such feature that it was even worth mentioning as something to avoid?

IBIS matters to me enough that I am waiting for the first company to produce an APS-C MILC with IS, rather than going for the options available today (NEX/NX/XPro1). And, of course, it's the reason I picked an Olympus camera over a Panasonic when I looked for a MFT body.

8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    He's not saying that the current bodies have the software Is. Although the Olympuses, do have that in video mode, just to illustrate the point how important body IS or lens based IS was impressed on him by camera reviewers.

The Sony Nex cameras do have software shake reduction, it takes three pictures and makes one no so shaky pictures.

9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Haven't tried an Olympus body yet do can't speak for IBIS, I do have the Pan14-45 with OIS and although it looks to work fine I haven't really used it much.

To my understanding, based on what I've read here and other forums/sites....the IBIS is best left OFF in most situations !!

If to shoot from a tripod - IBIS OFF
    Shooting a fast prime in most normal lighting conditions - IBIS OFF
    Sub tele focal lengths where SS is atleast twice that of focal length - IBIS OFF

In all reality, the above covers about 95% of my shooting !!

So basically that leaves low light, relatively slow SS and shooting long tele.

I am though very interested to pick up an Oly body and see for myself, if it wasn't for the fact that 5 months ago I grabbed a GX1 I would probably be buying an EM5....as it stands, I haven't seen anything to date which would suggest it is such big step up from what I have. In truth, unless Panasonic releases something super cool in the GH3 or rumors begin to surface of a GX-pro where something really significant is on offer....then y next body will most likely be an Oly...perhaps a EP4 or an EM6 ....but then again, After the GH3 is released and serious talk begins about a GX2 or GX-pro ....the EM5 may be a right old bargain at about $700.

To date, I haven't felt like I've missed out regarding IS with what and how I shoot. At most, it may have been handy to have 10% of the time.

10. Al.

Al. Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 3, 2010
    Hull, East Yorkshire, UK
    Alan
    When I had film cameras, the only stabalisation was how you held the camera or a tripod, yes I lost a few pics to camera shake, but never took as many shots due to cost of film.
    I have lens stabalisation in my 14-45 pana but don't conciously think about stabalisation when out taking photos, its something thats there.

My only concern about the new Oly 5 axis is from what I understand, its more of a floating sensor on magnetic waves or something,( please shoot me down if I'm wrong) I have heard of problems with the sensor jumping and how would it survive a drop? or mis-handlng.

11. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Just wanted to add to my above post....the thing that is most drawing me to the EM5 and the 5 axis IS thingy is video and not so much for the stills side of things. Now granted I don't shoot much video, probably only 1 video for every 500 still images....BUT....I do quite often go away on camping, fishing, riding, hunting trips with friends and I do take the odd video, usually compiling them to a song for a bit of fun viewing when we get back together on idle evenings for beer and pizza after work. Nothing too artistic or whatever, but being able to get nice smooth video would be cool. Even though my videos from such occasions are very informal and just a bit of fun...it would be nice to have something a little more professional looking. I didn't think t would be the case, but for this application the 5 axis IS is tempting.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    I've found it a lot less useful than I expected. The place where I need it is medium lighting with slow telephoto zooms. Unfortunately, it tends to be not so effective on my E-PM1 above 1/60s. In low light, I'm usually photographing people, or have some other means of stabilization, so the IS doesn't help as much.

DH

13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Not so much. I can see it being useful in some situations but I think it gets overvalued as a feature. I have never felt I was missing something when I have shot m43 bodies that don't have it. Perhaps I just don't shoot the kind of stuff where it is best used.

14. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I use it a lot with legacy glass: OM 135 and 300. The fact that the IBIS is active in the EVF makes fine-focusing handheld a reality. Ray has noted the handheld .5 second shots allow for 'ghosts' in an otherwise sharp scene - formerly the realm of tripod work.

It's not only a function of what you like to shoot...but also what becomes possible that you would have never have tried.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I strongly prefer IS, even with wide angle lenses, but don't have to have it. It's more of a security blanket than anything else for me, but I like having it all the same.

16. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I wish all my lenses/bodies had stabilization. IS/IBIS is just another useful tool for creating/capturing successful images. I see IS/IBIS no different than RAW or Zoom or Auto Settings, Auto Focus (et cetera) ... all nice to have, all are useful and while all are not absolutely necessary for photography ... each nice little advancement in photography makes it easier to capture the exceptional image and increases my consistency rate (I get more keepers).

Gary

17. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    Yes, and mine is made by Manfrotto and involves a wired shutter release.

18. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Really needs to be a choice between "deal-breaker" and "I'm OK without it". That's where I am. A very useful property that I want on a camera (or a lens), but just because an outstanding product doesn't have it doesn't mean I won't buy it.

I decided to buy a G3, for example, because it does so many things well. I'd like it better if it had IBIS, but that didn't stop me from buying it.

19. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... so your IS/IBIS isn't built in and can be used on any lens. How many stops do you get?

G

20. meachp

meachp Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    Norton-on-Tees, UK
    After four years of owning cameras with one sort of image stabalisation or another I still usually forget it's even there. I can't be sure whether it worked or not on the one occasion I did use it - but I do know that forgetting to turn it off afterwards ruined the next session of tripod shots. I never use it, but it's nice to know it's there if needed I suppose.