Is IBIS smart enough to know it's on a tripod?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Jun 7, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Hi guys...just a quick question...do I need to turn IBIS off manually when mounting my OM-D on a tripod, or is it smart enough to know it's on a tripod?

2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    turn it off, that's the general consensus

3. swampduck

swampduck Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 29, 2013
    Taneytown , MD
    Dan
    Not as far as I know. Image Stabilization corrects for shake...however at least in my experience, I have never remembered to turn off IS when using a tripod and haven't had any adverse issues. Keep in mind that I only have experience with OIS

4. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's best to keep it off in case a slight overcompensation occurs with a back reflection of vibration from the tripod. No matter what the reason, if the tripod is steady then a steady IBIS (i.e. OFF) would be ideal.

Equally, if you lean on something solid (holding the camera), it can also be counterproductive (at least in the 2 axis systems).

5. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    That would be cool if the tripod bolt would close a connection to tell the camera to shut off IBIS. Hrm....

6. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Acutally, it WOULDN'T be "cool"...what if you use a flash bracket, a third party grip, grip strap, or something like an R-Strap? All the above devices screw into the tripod socket of the caera and would disable the IS! :dash2:

7. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I use mySets to help me remember to change a couple settings in different situations.
    Goes something like this:
    Street,General walk around - (Auto ISO 200-1600, IBIS On)
    Landscapes and Tripod - (ISO 200, IBIS Off)
    Flash (ISO 200, IBIS On, RC Mode)
    Still Life Indoors (ISO 200, IBIS Off, Custom WB)
    This way I select a mySet based on what I plan on shooting and I have a safeguard against mistakenly keeping IBIS on or shooting high ISO when using a tripod, for example. Of course there's no way to label the above settings (would be an awesome feature!) but it's easy to remember what each is. I have both an OM-D and E-PL5 and I have them set up exactly the same.

8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks...too bad, I was hoping it would be smart enough to realize it was on a tripod (like a lot of lenses are) and avoid menu diving, but such is life haha.

I might try programming it onto a MySet, though...might be the simplest way to go back and forth...

9. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I haven't checked my EM-5, but I did check the GX-1 I used to own. Pictures taken on a tripod with OIS turned on were less sharp than with OIS turned off. Whether the IBIS system would give different results, I can't say.

10. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Thats why you would have a menu option to turn off auto on/off ibis. I rarely use my tripod socket for anything other than hooking it to a tripod. Just thinking out of the box here...

11. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    What about when using monopod? I´m waiting for a 135 mf lens to my pm1 and thinking of using a monopod just as support when focusing, not even tighten ball, do I have/need/recommend to turn IS off then?

12. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Probably. But like all highly intelligent beings a touch of ADHD means it just can't sit still for long enough even though it knows is should.

Is it really so hard to turn it off compared to mounting to a tripod?

13. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I haven't seen any ill effects not turning it off. Unlike my old Canon system which did show a difference.

Gordon

14. Are you using the Super Control Panel? You can enable and disable IS pretty quickly through there.

15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

And it's very quick with the touch screen & wheels. :thumbup:

:drinks:

16. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Ah, thanks! No, I'm not using the SCP (I tend to like buttons/switches, not menus and touchscreens), but it sounds like this may be one situation in which the SCP would be preferable! :)

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
  18. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks!

50 dollar follow-up question, that I'm pretty sure I know the answer to...does turning off IBIS affect battery life significantly? (I'm guessing yes, but you never know)

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I just finished about 100 macro photos using a tripod, with IS1 on, it did NOT affect the sharpness.

20. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I was thinking of that, it could be a software thing, how about the auto-setting would feel if there is no camera shake in like 1 second, then disables the IBIS :)