Is IBIS help in 'shaky hands'?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by table2011, Sep 18, 2011.

1. table2011

table2011 New to Mu-43

Sep 6, 2011
    when I read my E-PL1 manual about IBIS, it said something like help in low light and high magnification condition.
    So is it mean IBIS not really function for physically camera shaking?
    (example when press/ release shutter button)
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    It will help but depends on what you call shaky hands. This is why I can only shoot with IBIS or lens with OIS as I always shake due to nerve damage.if this isn't solving your issue, you may want to adjust your technique, or get a tripod/ monopod.
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    In my experience, IBIS most often only reduces shake but doesn't eliminate it entirely.
  4. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    IBIS is a remedy for shaky hands. That is exactly what it is good for, and exactly what it does. It acts as a virtual tripod, if you will. However, this doesn't give you license to have crappy camera control. Technology will never be a substitute for proper technique, or the patience to just use a tripod for those important shots.

What it really helps with is if you're slightly shaking from cold weather, old age, or if you're at the very edge of handholdability, due to trying to photograph a dark scene where the camera needs a shutter speed that's barely longer than what you are usually able to handhold.