Is GX8 an upgrade to the EM1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by bbarnett51, Apr 16, 2017.

1. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2015
    So I'm reevaluating my gear. I could sell my EM1 and go to the gx8 for very little cost. I don't think the em1 mk2 is in my budget.
    I shoot mostly stills but wouldn't mind better video for my kids. My lenses would be Oly 45 1.8, Oly 17 1.8, and Panny 100-300mk2. I would also sell my Oly 12-60swd and get the panny 12-35.
    But forgot about the lenses. It's the body an upgrade. I'm kind of an Oly

2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Personally, I wouldn't do it. Do you really need better video to shoot kids? I don't know about you but I would really miss all the programmable buttons on the EM1 as well as the amazing ergonomics of the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  3. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2015
    Kind of agree. The EM1 has been my favorite camera Andrew not really lacking anything. I just know I can pick up a new body with the new sensor for not much.
    That was my thinking. Ultimately I should probably save up for the EM1mk2 but with two little kids my wife is a hard one to crack. Lol

4. JensM

JensM Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 6, 2016
    Oslo(ish), Norway
    As screename
    The GX8 are a rather smashing camera, I do believe it would be an upgrade in regards to the O-EM1.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    Here is 34 pages of Gx8 user images - take a look and see if the users here are doing what you need to do. Check out the PL100-400 native lens images post in native lenses.

6. bbarnett51

bbarnett51 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 23, 2015
    Images don't help really. Everybody posts their best. I'm a photographer with a growing clientele and the need to know things like AF, user interface, low light, ergonomics, etc... Really was just interested in the new sensor. Of course I've done research online and YouTube etc... Just asking those that have experience.
    I've got 22 family shoots and 4 weddings in the next 2 months so I won't be making a change immediately. However things slow down in June and July.
    Maybe I'll just buy a GX8 and use it alongside of my EM1 and see what I think.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Really not sure how looking at photographs taken with a lens the OP doesn't own and never even expressed interest in is really a good way to decide between cameras..............

Personally, I would save up for the mk2. While the GX8 may be a great camera, in anything other then sensor it is a downgrade from the EM1. Not sure if you have other cameras you use.............if you just save to get the mk2, you could use it alongside your mk1 and the layout is almost identical............Yes, I am huge fan of staying with same or very similar backup camera for muscle memory.............which in wedding photography could very well mean the difference between getting and missing a shot.

If you find the IQ from your EM1 to met your needs, they stay with it and save for what you really want. The IQ difference is really not that much better between the EM1 and the new sensors.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2013
    I posted the link to the 100-400 due to a lot of folks using the EM1 and the PL100-400 - a good way to compare. Personally specs don't mean much to me, I want to see images that others have taken (it is also how I decide to buy glass). With the prices of used Gx8's being @ the $500 or 600 dollar level now it is not a big risk to do as the OP says and buy one and use it (in the off season) to see if it fits.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Personally, I wouldn't make the switch. While the video upgrade is nice, you're not really getting much more IMO. Sure, it's a newer sensor, but the resolution bump is negligible.

Personally, I would save up for an E-M1 II. Owning an E-M1 II along with an E-M1, it's definitely a worthy upgrade. The bunch of small tweaks made to the Mk. II make for a big difference in usability, and it's an excellent camera IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2011
    With GX8, you get a slightly better sensor, better video, tilting EFV and Dual IS2 with the 12-35 and 35-100 lenses. None of these improvements are game changers over what you have now, just small increments.
    On the downside, it's a different brand, with a different control layout to learn and a different feel. You may like it, or you may hate it, no way to tell unless you spend some time shooting with it.
    Might make sense to look for a good deal on a used one. You can try it for a month and if you just don't get on with it you can sell it at a minimal (if any) loss.
    I'm very happy with mine

• Like Like x 1
  11. panamike

panamike Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    After owning the GX8 but not the EM1 i would say dont do it,the GX8 can have shutter shock and i didnt like mine as i found i caught the rear buttons and changed settings,i would have swapped you my GX8 for the EM1 any time.i now have the G80 and find it just as good as the GX8 in most things and even better to hold.

12. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dual IS2 is only available in the GH5 and G80/85. Dual IS1 is available in the GX8 and GX80/85.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Levster

I'd say moving to the GX8 for video isn't a good idea unless you are OK being constrained to stabilised lenses. The 4-axis stabilisation is only good for still images.

14. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Doh! You're right about it not being on the GX8. Color me embarrassed...:blush:

15. Levster

I've just switched a GX8 for a G80 so I've been swatting up on the specs!

To the OP, if I was to switch from an E-M1 to a Panasonic body I would go for a G80/85. In theory there is an increase in detail despite both cameras having a 16MP sensor because the G80 does away with the anti-aliasing filter on the sensor. The G80 has 4K video, built in IBIS that is active during all shooting modes, a brilliant feature where the rear LCD can be used as a focus selector touch pad, a mic socket, a really good EVF and other niceties like international video support so you can choose between 30p and 25p for example. There are a couple of downsides, namely a sensor that won't give an improvement in noise performance, IBIS that is probably a generation behind the E-M5 Mk II and a shutter that tops out at 1/4000s (faster shutter speeds use electronic shutter only). Coming from a GX8 I've gelled really quickly with the G80 and I've been very impressed with C-AF performance and the 9 frames/sec burst rate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Realistically, the bodies are almost entirely equivalent in most ways.

They're both robust, weather-sealed bodies, they both have pretty good ergonomics with tons of direct customizable controls, and they both have pretty similar feeds and speeds for the most part, and top-end mechanical components (i.e. 1/8000s shutters, etc...).

The E-M1 probably has better continuous autofocus, and definitely has better IBIS. It also has an 0-sec antishock electronic first-curtain shutter setting that counteracts shutter shock unless you are using burst modes (which the 0-sec mode disables). It also has a tilting LCD, which is 100% about personal preference versus the fully articulated display. The Olympus might take better JPEGs, if you happen to ever shoot JPEG. Olympus has Live Composite, which is a fun and useful tool for night shooting.

The GX8 has a better EVF, much better video quality (both 1080p and 4K), better manual focus aids, and a sensor that has somewhat better dynamic range (about 1 stop at ISO 100), more detail at low ISOs, but essentially identical low-light image quality. In most cases you will be able to use the GX8 in e-shutter mode to avoid shutter shock, since it has a fast ~1/28s readout speed (much faster than the E-M1 which I believe is about ~1/12s), but when you can't, you may experience shutter shock with the mechanical shutter in certain shutter speed ranges.

Like I said, extremely similar for the most part. I'd probably call it a "side-grade" rather than a strict upgrade, unless your main use case is video.

For me, the G85 has enough advantages over the GX8 that I think I will wait for a GX9 (which I hope is forthcoming). That, or an E-M5 III. The E-M1 II is far too rich for my blood, and the GH5 is both expensive as well as big and heavy (from my perspective).

• Like Like x 1
  17. Harry Cohn

Harry Cohn New to Mu-43

Mar 28, 2017
    Sold my Canon pro equipment for the GX8 and I'm loving it. The weight and features produce spectacular results. Using new 12-35mm lens. 4K is great with Blu-ray and Toast 4K software.

18. Stanga

Stanga Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2016
    Shutter shock is only noticeable with two or three lenses, when using slow mechanical shutter speeds, and no flash. Well that is what I have read any way. I gave up trying to emulate those fault symptoms, and ended up putting it down to photo technique and the way the camera and lens are held a the time of taking the picture.
    As for the settings changing if you touched the rear button: just one button press in the right place and all of those buttons are locked, thereby preventing them from accidentally changing anything. Any GX8 owner who has read the operating instructions properly knows that.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Thank you for pointing that out to me i didn't realise reading the instruction book would solved it ;)

20. panamike

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    Now the longer answer to your helpful suggestion of reading the instructions.
    I did not want the buttons locking off,i dont get that with the G80 it has a grip that allows a better hold while zooming the fairly stiff Leica 100-400.
    Shutter shock again thank you for your helpful suggestion it was technique at fault ,there is just one problem with that idea what ever i see as possible shutter shock does not show on images taken at 400mm and slowish shutter speeds on the EM10MK11 i have, it only ever showed on the GX8,using the Olympus i only get OIS in the lens not dual perhaps that could be the reason.

My only gripe with the G80 is i cant turn dual is off and just go with the lens OIS,after reading the instruction book :biggrin: i had this confirmed by Panasonic.

• Sad Sad x 1